Author Topic: Bothersome and painful incision  (Read 9124 times)

amn70

Bothersome and painful incision
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:47:53 pm »
Are any of you experiencing pain on the side of your head in which the surgery was performed, namely around the incision? I have an eight inch incision that hooks around my right ear and the side of my head still feels unnatural and painful (nearly three and a half months post op). I am now meeting with my neurosuregon (neuro-otologist was not helpful) and he said the next step after physical therapy may be injecting some type of steroid into the side of my head to help with nerve regeneration and help ease the pain. Has anyone had anything like this done and if so, did it help with your pain? I also get headaches but this pain and unnatural feeling on the side of my head running along my scar is also quite annoying. Thank you for your insights!

Sheryl

Re: Bothersome and painful incision
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 05:18:27 pm »
My husband had a meningioma removed a year ago.  His scalp in that area still has "weird" sensations and occasional zinging type pains. The neurosurgeon said it's normal and may continue for a long time or may stop - everyone is different.  It is not disabling. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

amn70

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:01:24 am »
Did your husband have the translab surgery? If so, fat is taken from one's abdomen and packed into where the mastoid bone once was. I realize this 'sensation' is not disabling (I am former marathoner and athlete used to working through pain) but the pain, the unnaturalness and irritation are sometimes disturbing. I want to know if anyone is familiar with the injection I alluded to in my previous e-mail.

laurawinkleman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 11:02:33 am »
I had surgery August 2001.  Since that time I have grown a lump the size of a walnut which is painful to the touch and when I have either fluid in my sinuses or inner ear, the pressure is intense.  My surgeon said he could go in and shave it off but it would probably grow back.  Let me know if the steroids help.  That is something by doctors never suggested and I too have trouble with headaches.  The weird feeling will diminish a lot over time.  But I still have some.

Laura

Static

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:10:44 pm »
My surgery was January, '04, and I still, at times, have problems when I put pressure, or lay on the side of my head where the incision is.  I was told it is probably from the scar tissue around the incision site and there isn't much space between the skull and skin to allow any type of cushion.  Not that painful, just annoying  :-\  Guess it could be worse!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

heyyouconnie

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 08:30:17 am »
I had surgery on Mar 1 and I have pressure where the scar is but no pain. I get soreness in the neck muscles on that side. The area is more swollen than the other side, and it kind of bothers me when I go to sleep on the scar. But I just take 2 Tylenol Nighttime before bed and I sleep thru the night. It is just enough medicine that it will get rid of my neck pain and headache.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 04:28:47 pm »
Yes, yes and yes!  Glad someone elso has this too! luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Goldineye

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 09:41:35 pm »
Yes me too. I had my surgery 1 year ago in April . I find it difficult to sleep on my left side where the scar is. I do get pain there and it is so lumpy behind the ear. I had the fat from my stomache put in my head also . My son now calls me FAT HEAD. Headaches also but someone on this site said they use pepperment oil on the area of the head that hurts. They rub it in and say it really helps. I am going to buy it and try it. Hopefully with time we all do alot better   Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

bjordanr

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 11:24:21 am »
I was having a stabbing pain at the site of my incision also - like someone sticking their finger or a stick into it.  I now am receiving botox injections (in my head, neck, shoulder & the site of the incision) and I have to say that the stabbing feeling has gone away.  Unfortunately, botox injections are expensive (thankfully, my insurance is covering it) and they are only a temporary fix (you have to go get new injections about every three months).

Mary 117

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 11:32:12 am »
I have the same question
I was just thinking how weird and somewhat painful the side of my head is. I had  middle fossa surgery 2 1/2 months ago. Everything is really pretty good but lately I have noticed the side of my head hurting more. Stingy, pressure, sharp pain. Do you call the Doctor or is this a normal part of recovery. It's not that terrible, I just want to make sure something isn't wrong.

Thanks for listening,
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

luv2teachsped

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 09:30:57 pm »
I'm curious. Has anyone else had problems of drinage at the incision site.  I am almost 3 months post op.  I thoght I felt stickiness the other day, and dismissed it for hair gel.. But as I went to read in bed tonight I noticed a drainage and blood on my pillow.  Now it has me worried, as my incision has just started irritating me more than before.  I don't want to overreact and call my doctor if its no big deal  .  Thanks for your input. luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan

Goldineye

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 11:07:00 pm »
Love2teachsped, Don't ever feel like you are over reacting. Especially to your docters. You paid them ALOT of money for your surgery, ask them any concerning questions that you have. But just to let you know I had the same thing. On part of my incision the scab took a long time to fall off. I had wet sticky goo in one spot. The docters were concerned. They had to make sure it wasn't a leak,and thank God it was'nt. So do call your docter and explain it to them . I'm sure you have the same thing I had but just be carefull. Let me know what you decided.   Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

luv2teachsped

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 07:45:35 am »
Goldineye-  Thanks, I'm not as worried, as you're right it does feel a little "scabby", but I think I will call Monday Morning just in case. Thanks for your note! luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan

wanderer

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 11:40:44 am »
I have drainage from my incision.  I have had it for 8 months now.   It is important to call your doctor.   It could be a CSF leak,  which is what I had first,  then I had a staph infection.  Now I have a staph infection that appears to be caused by a reaction to the bone cement the used to seal up my head.

Get it checked out.  I have still not figured out how to solve the problem,  but about every three weeks my incision breaks open and leaks.   Then it heals up after some time. Only to break open again in about 3 more weeks.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 03:39:05 pm »
wanderer:ugh...8 months and your incision is still breaking open?  Is that okay?   I didn't call my doctor today, as the scabs seem to be pretty much gone, and I haven't felt anymore drainage.  But I will continue to watch it.  Hope you're doing better soon!  luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan