Author Topic: Wait times for MRI, can not find any current stasitics  (Read 2102 times)

gypsy

Wait times for MRI, can not find any current stasitics
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:35 am »
I have been waiting to have an appointment in Belleville Hospital in Ontario, and was wanting to look at the wait time charts just to see how long it may take, but can not find any current data. I used to find these on the SE LHIN web site.

mk

Re: Wait times for MRI, can not find any current stasitics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:11:58 am »
Hi from a "neighbour" in Kingston.

My understanding is that statistics do not really apply, wait times may range widely. It all depends on the "priority" that your referring physician has assigned to your case. I had a priority of "2" (should be seen soon), with "1" being pretty much "patient needs to be seen right away". I waited about a month for the MRI. years ago when I had a minor issue with my knee, and with a low priority I was booked in 4 months. You may want to ask your physician what priority he/she has assigned.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:54:31 am »
I agree with MK. I went to the US for my first MRI (Apr 09) due to 4 month wait. My second was the one I waited 4 months for. (Jun 29 09). My third one I received a call on Tues asking if I could go Wed afternoon. My last one was intentionally booked at 3 months.

good Luck.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:18:14 am »
My first MRI I was told a yr wait in Ottawa Ont...I said the heck with that and went to Quebec and paid for it...second and subsequent ones are booked 6 months ahead of time
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »
Hey Gypsy

You have just about called in all the Ontario'ites' on this post.

My experience seems to be a bit different, and interestingly enough I have the smallest tumor (and likely the least symptomatic) of the whole gang!  I would imagine I wasn't prioritized too high up the list.

I got a MRI at a downtown Toronto hospital (I live in Toronto) within 9 days of my initial ENT appointment.  I was told to expect a 4-6 week wait.  When I did figure out the wait time website for Ontario, it suggested a 7-8 week wait. 

Not sure why I got in so fast. 

I did learn, at least in Toronto, where the MRI machines work 24 hours per day, 7 days a week (I just don't know if other centres in the province operate the machines all the time) that if you phone in the mornings, you may be able to get a last minute cancel appointment. 

My last two MRIs were pre-booked 5 months in advance of the requested date so not really any wait time at all.

Good luck getting a time. 

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »
Hi Gyspy,

I wouldn't rely on anything the SE LHIN web site has posted.  Remember it is an Ontario Government creation that has caused nothing but headaches and heartaches for healthcare providers and most importantly the residents of Ontario. 

I only had to wait three days in Hamilton for a MRI.  The Dr I was seeing at time "forgot" to tell his receptionist to book a six month MRI after I had two done within a week of each other, three months after my surgery.  I called the hospital once I knew the request was faxed and I pleaded.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Good luck,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

cecile k

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:18:40 pm »
I was just called to let me know a follow up MRI needed to be booked, and was told that for new cases here in Vancouver, BC, MRI's are being booked well into the spring of 2011. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer and her MRI was booked within two weeks - so it does depend on the urgency of the situation.

Cecile

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:40:52 am »
Well I guess some docs have pull...my oncologist managed to get me an appt for an MRI for this friday...Like wow..but of course this one is at 930pm
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »
That is very good news Jo.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »
Well I guess some docs have pull...my oncologist managed to get me an appt for an MRI for this friday...Like wow..but of course this one is at 930pm
JO

That's 6:30 my time Jo~ things are lookin' up! So glad you got the MRI early. Blessings on your head...blessings on your head....
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.