Author Topic: Dr. Ossama Al-Mefty  (Read 16878 times)

Sheryl

Dr. Ossama Al-Mefty
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:54 pm »
Okay - first time posting to this subject.  Has anyone heard of or dealt with Dr. Ossama Al-Mefty who was at the University of Arkansas Medical Center and will be starting at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston after July 1st?  Supposed to be one of the leaders in brain stem tumors/surgery.
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dr. Ossama Al-Mefty
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:44:33 am »
 :-*  :-*  :-*

Have inquired to my "inside track" on this one to get the info you are looking (ie; his specialty in B.T, type of B.T. treated, etc). Should have an answer at some point today (if they get my email today) and will post their response.

Hugglez to you both.  Believe you are inquiring about the spouse.... give him a BIG huggle for me... and hope you all are staying cool in this weather!

xoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:27:19 am »
Sheryl

Here is the inside track on Dr. Al-Mefty:

"hi phyllis-hope you are surviving the heat!

yes, Dr. Al-Mefty is here-his forte is skull base/clival lesions"

Hope that helps!
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »
Hi Phyl - thanks for checking.  I sent you a PM.  In my quest, have heard good things about Dr. Al-Mefty.

Hope you are both well,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Sandymags

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »
Sheryl,

Dr. Al-Mefty performed surgery on me in January, 2008 for a skull based meningioma tumor (my second tumor...my first meningioma was removed in 1995).  If you have an opportunity to see Dr. Al-Mefty than GO!  I was fortunate enough to have been sent to him by my local Neurosurgeon in Georgia.  I was surprised that he was sending me all the way to Arkansas for Surgery.  My tumor was wrapped up in my optic nerve and optic chiasms.  My doctor here told me there were only 2 or 3 surgeons who could remove my tumor without compromising my vision and if he or a family member had a tumor like mine he would choose Dr. Al-Mefty.  My 14 hour surgery was a success and I have no defects other than some periferal vision loss which was caused from the pressure of the tumor on my optic nerve.  I would very highly recommend Dr. Al-Mefty because it is a miracle that I am sitting here today and able to read this computer screen.  Good luck!  Sandy

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:44 pm »
Sandy - thank you very much for replying and I'm so glad you are doing well.  Since posting my question, I've found out that Dr. Al-Mefty is one of the best for brainstem tumors and I'm fortunate that he is now in Boston only 85 miles away when we are north in the summer.  I am awaiting an appt. for a consult.  Also heard that Dr. Ian Dunn who trained under him is in the same department and is also very good.  I have waited and watched for almost nine years and not sure what I'm feeling are side effects of the tumor or anything else. 

Hope you continue to do well.  My husband has had three procedures for a meningioma (2 craniotomies and 1 CyberKnife treatment).   His is located in the left parietal lobe and even though not doing 100%, he's made a remarkable recovery from the last surgery a year ago.

Sheryl

hrk4doc

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:13:21 am »
Dr. Al-Mefty operated on my mother in the 70's.  She is alive today because of him and his team.
She had a tumor the size of an orange on the stem of her brain, it took 26 hours and many prayers.
She is now 89 and is still doing great.  If anyone has the opportunity to see this wonderful doctor then
you will be in great hands.

Sheryl

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:18 pm »
Thanks for responding.  Since originally posting I have heard from many and all rave about Dr. Al-Mefty.  I am lucky that he is now only 80 miles away in Boston but, at this point, I can still continue being on wait and watch.
Sheryl

gw

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:15 pm »
Dr. Al Mefty did my surgery in March of 2009. Acoustic Neuroma in Arkansas. He was fabulous. Like some of the other post's, I was not sure why I was being referred to a neurosurgeon in Arkansas but now that he in Boston, it makes alot more sense and is probably a better match for him. Good Luck.

Sheryl

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »
Funny Story - I was at the hospital in Boston that Dr. Al-Mefty is practicing in now.  Decided to have my yearly MRI done in Boston rather than when we go back to Florida for the winter.  Anyway - picture a large teaching hospital with people scurrying up and down the hallways and a man in a white doctor's coat coming towards me, and as he passes, I got a glimpse of his name embroidered in red on the front of his coat - "Dr. Ossama Al-Mefty".  Had never met him and when I realized who it was, I turned but he had gotten lost in the crowd!!!

gtu

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:37:43 pm »
I am from KY, I was referred to Dr. Al Mefty in Little Rock in Feb 2009. I had a brain tumor called hemangiopericytoma.  Dr. Al Mefty performed a 12 hour surgery on me in April of 2009. I had to come home and follow up with radiation. I am currently doing well. I lost my hearing due to nerve damage caused by the tumor. I am only here today because of Dr. Al Mefty's excellent hand. I have met many people through this experience and without hesitation I would recommend him for any skull base surgery. Not only is he an excellent neuro surgeon, but he is also an awesome person. He moved to Boston, and contacted me to let me know where he was. I am sending all my tests to him for my follow up. I have excellent an oncologist and radiation oncologist that keep a close eye on me here. If and when I have to have another operation I WILL BE GOING TO BOSTON!!  He is the reason I am here and I am so grateful he took my case and took such good care of me.

Sheryl

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »
GTU - Thanks so much for taking the time to write and so glad you are doing well.  We split our time between Florida in the winter and Cape Cod in the summer, so at that time, we are only 80 miles from Boston.  I just returned from my yearly visit with my neurologist here in Florida and got a "Passed with flying colors" exam so will continue with my wait and watch for now. 

Happy and HEALTHY holidays,
Sheryl

Derek

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:58:46 pm »
[quote author=Sheryl...  I just returned from my yearly visit with my neurologist here in Florida and got a "Passed with flying colors" exam so will continue with my wait and watch for now.[/quote]

Hi Sheryl...

I have only just become aware of your fantastic news re your recent MRI scan and Mammogram results...many congrats and wonderful to know that you will indeed reach that 10 year 'milestone' in W & W later this year.

Best regards to you and your hubby.

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.