Author Topic: Can't I get a @#%$ing BREAK!!!!  (Read 48473 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Can't I get a @#%$ing BREAK!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »
THanks, Moe and Pat,
We all understand each other.   I got turned down by Social Security today for disability even though I retired on Disability with the State last April.  I appealed it on line this afternoon.  Had yet another killer headache and Verapamil and Neurontin doesn't work.  The anesthesiologist's secretary called me back...the one that offers Botox and does procedures of I don't know what.  He wants to see my records before they give me an appointment.   The first appointment is Aug 30th.   Maybe he does scar revision.   Who does adhesion revision?  Who can tell me that's what I have?   I wish I knew what I have besides a headache and why nerve blocks don't touch my headaches.   I need some relief.   The social security letter says I need to go to work in spite of the headache situation but I'm up all night with a pounding headache and am a mess with ice on my neck till 10 am.  Next week I start the driving for four days in a row of my father to the Out Patient Rehab.

Gotta Get a Break.   We ALL DO!!!!
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2010, 09:45:36 am »
Social security turns EVERYBODY down the first time and 95% down the second--I ended up getting a lawyer who finally won my case after 4 years.  You have to get a lawyer--they can't charge you unless they win and even then it is a limited amount--mine was totally worth it.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »
Hi, Mei Mei ~

Just wanted to pop in and add to Deb's comments about Social Security turning you down.  She's right on all points and I suggest you take her cogent advice.   

My wife went through this in the 1990's, following an auto accident (she was rear-ended while sitting at a stop sign).  She had to undergo multiple major spinal surgeries that left her reasonably mobile but with some pain (controlled by non-narcotic prescription medication, most of the time) and unable to continue working at her long-time job as a senior supervisor in a large insurance company. She went on company-sponsored 'long term disability' in 1996 (at 70% of her former salary) and the company demanded she apply for Social Security disability benefits because, in their words "it's an entitlement".  What they really meant was that if my wife was awarded SS disability benefits, their contract with her allowed the company to deduct the monthly Social Security stipend from the disability payment the company was making to her.  She applied, was turned down, then hired an attorney that specialized in procuring Social Security disability benefits for those qualified to receive them.  My wife had voluminous amounts of MRI scans and other medical information as well as numerous letters from her doctors attesting to her injuries and the resulting impact on her ability to function in her previous position.  The attorney took her case and asked only for filing expenses and, if he was successful, one third of her total initial award, which would be a lump sum calculated from the date she first filed for SS disability benefits (this is standard procedure). That 'contingency fee' would amount to many thousands of dollars.

Long story short: It took approximately a year, but the attorney won her case and my wife was awarded a monthly benefit based on her previous earnings.  That reduced her employer's financial obligation to about 60% of what it was prior to her receiving the Social Security award.  That's fine, because my wife still receives the same amount (calculated to the penny by the company) that she would have received from her employer's disability plan, alone.  I should note that my wife paid a premium every month she worked for the company disability plan, so it was hardly a gift.  Legally (technically) she is still an employee of the insurance company and her 'disability' income from her employer is taxable - but her Social Security benefit is not.  She is on Medicare but Blue Cross is her secondary insurer, as it is mine. 

I apologize if I've offered a lot of information that isn't relevant to you. However, the real point to all this is that you definitely should consider hiring an attorney to help you secure Social Security disability benefits, because otherwise, it could be a very long time and lots of dealing with the bureaucratic maze to get something you certainly qualify for.  I wish you success.

Jim           
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »
Sorry they are making you jump through the hoops Mei Mei......save and send all paper work,mris,heaaring test vestubular test...every dr appointment for head pain,chiro,accupuncture every thing.Take it to an attorney and let him do the fighting for you...its much to much stress for you to deal with.Also.... shouldn't you be getting paid to care for grandpa..through his medicaid or whatever he has for ins????
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »
Another word about social security disability--you have to be disabled for a year before they will even consider your case.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 08:48:34 am »
Capn't-
I had my thyroid removed in 2006 and of all the surgeries I have had, this was by far the easiest!  In fact, I jokingly recommend it to people! ;D. I get SUPER sick from anesthia but after i got past that, i was up & running dragging the 3 curly girlies all over town. Hope it goes well for you too!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »
I, too, missed that Deb was having another surgery.

As Donnalynn said, you've been through enough, Captain  :o

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:49 am »
Capn't-
I had my thyroid removed in 2006 and of all the surgeries I have had, this was by far the easiest! 

Had mine done in 1998 and shared the same with the Capt as well.  She doesn't even remember seeing my scar when she spent ALL that time with me last Summer..... She laughed when I told her this is the reason I now sound like my dad (Papa Pearl as some of you know him) and am no longer a soprano opera singer!  She sounds good in spirit and she KNOWS how we're cheering her on! :)

Right, Captn?  RIGHT??!?!   :-*  :-*  :-*

xo
Signed
Cursed what's her name....
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »
Thanks EVERYBODY for the comments on my social security case.   I contacted a lawyer and she's away till the 19th.   Will hand everything over to her and continue taking care of my headaches and my father.

I'm also worried about Captain Deb.   Hope she's alright.   Today is Tuesday.  Is she in surgery today?

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:47 pm »
Hi dear Capitany

Sorry, just tuned in from an absence. Shame you have to have another bit of zapping done but think positively coz we all are with ya.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Mei Mei

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »
Oh, no, Jan?   How are you?   You must be recovering!!!   I hope you are OK!!!!

Hang Tight!   Get Well SOON!!!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:34 pm »
I'm not even calling my surgery, surgery.  It was more like a "procedure".

Doc didn't shave enough hair - or give me a big enough bandage - for it to qualify as a surgery  :D

Will post more details tomorrow on one of my threads.  It's almost 1 a.m. here and I need to get to sleep!!

Am doing very well, though.  Thanks for asking.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2010, 05:08:08 pm »
THanks, Moe and Pat,
We all understand each other.   I got turned down by Social Security today for disability even though I retired on Disability with the State last April.  I appealed it on line this afternoon.  Had yet another killer headache and Verapamil and Neurontin doesn't work.  The anesthesiologist's secretary called me back...the one that offers Botox and does procedures of I don't know what.  He wants to see my records before they give me an appointment.   The first appointment is Aug 30th.   Maybe he does scar revision.   Who does adhesion revision?  Who can tell me that's what I have?   I wish I knew what I have besides a headache and why nerve blocks don't touch my headaches.   I need some relief.   The social security letter says I need to go to work in spite of the headache situation but I'm up all night with a pounding headache and am a mess with ice on my neck till 10 am.  Next week I start the driving for four days in a row of my father to the Out Patient Rehab.

Gotta Get a Break.   We ALL DO!!!!
Definitely like everyone is saying to get an attorney they could only charge a set fee regulated by SS and it is well worth it one less thing for you to have to contend to you have too much on your plate already ! Be careful driving ...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2010, 05:11:27 pm »
I'm not even calling my surgery, surgery.  It was more like a "procedure".

Doc didn't shave enough hair - or give me a big enough bandage - for it to qualify as a surgery  :D

Will post more details tomorrow on one of my threads.  It's almost 1 a.m. here and I need to get to sleep!!

Am doing very well, though.  Thanks for asking.

Jan
Sorry I am not on the computer much just saw that as you state you had a procedure ? Just wishing you well.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:19 pm »
Thanks, Pat.

Appreciate you thinking about me.

I'm good.

Jan