Author Topic: Lost my special girl today  (Read 9751 times)

Lizard

Lost my special girl today
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »
I had to say goodbye to my chocolate labbie today (the one kissing me in the avatar), she was only six and it was so sudden, came on Thursday.  Just a month ago a full blood panel, urine and fecal exams all came back normal, but I was having issues with her eating habits, but all the Dr's just thought she was being picky. Even just last weekend she ate all her meals. Last night we took her to Tufts veterinary emergency hospital where the most capable surgeons within 75 miles were waiting to take care of her.  We thought she had a perforated intestine and was becoming septic, but when they started the emergency surgery and opened up her abdomen and it was covered in tumors. 

We had to let her go and I'm just devastated, there isn't even a word for the pain I am feeling...heartbroken? sick? overwhelmed? mad? none of these quite cover it even together.  We knew there was a risk of a tumor on or in the intestine which could cause the perforation and possible cancer, but I never would have imagined she was doomed right there on the table.  I'm still up after 39 hours and still unable to sleep, I'm so wrecked and thought there might be a few of you out there who could relate.  ???  :'(

She was our special girl because she came to us from Lousiana through a lab rescue group. To rescue a dog is to have an amazing companion who is so grateful to you for saving them from God knows what.  They know how it feels to be lost and forgotten as well as how it then feels to be loved and cared for and because of this they show just that much more love, affection and gratitude. 

We have another lab also rescued (her "sister") ,but she is not intuitive like my Keena was.  Her name Keena came from Gaelic and means strong and brave because we believe she was both the second we saw her.  She has been my rock throughout my diagnosis, recovery and continued deficits and now she is gone.  I buried my face in her neck time and time again, accepted kisses when she knew I needed them and never even asked.  I never had to say anything and it was like she knew what I was thinking.  We had a very strong bond and she was closest to a child as I have felt in my 29 years. 

I don't quite know how I will get over this loss.  Its different than the other animals I've lost in my life and the outpouring from my family and friends has been amazing, but I don't think I will ever find another dog who I can relate to on this level.  I feel so lost...

Probably time I try to get some sleep,  :(
Liz

Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Lost my special girl today
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:00:30 pm »
I'm so sorry, Liz. It's hard losing a pet. The same thing happened to my Boxer, Spice. He appeared to be aeating, but had lost alot of weight. Blood tests back in October came back normal. In March another blood test showed some abnormalities, leading to surgery, which revealed a cancerous tumor had spread to many of Spicie's organs. The Vet wasn't able to save him. It was hard letting him go. Such a loss leaves a very huge void.

My deepest condolences, Liz.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:18 pm »
Liz ~

Please accept my condolences on the unexpected and tragic loss of your canine best friend, Keena.  

I grew up with our family dog, Luke, a purebred Boxer that won over 50 first-place awards in dog shows on the east coast.  My dad bought him (for an enormous amount of money that he later recouped in stud fees) when I was 8 years old.  He was a very intelligent, happy dog that loved to romp with us but was perfectly obedience trained and would stop and sit as still as a statue with just a one-word command.  Sadly, our Luke was diagnosed with stomach cancer when I was 14 (he was 7 years old) and my father had him put down to spare him suffering in vain.  When my dad, a blue-collar guy and no wimp, came home and broke the news that "Luke is gone" it was the first and only time (up until then) that I ever saw my father weep.  We all wept.  It was a tremendous loss, just as yours is, now.  I love dogs and always relate well to almost any dog I come in contact with but I've never owned a dog in my adult life.  No dog could take the place of my childhood buddy, Luke.  I can assure you that you'll 'get over' your loss - but you'll never forget Keena, just as I've never forgotten Luke.  Life goes on and I've certainly learned that nothing stays the same, forever.  That applies to both the good and the not-so-good things in our lives.  Cherish the years you had with Keena, Liz and know that you both enjoyed something very special.  Meanwhile, grieve - as you must - but know that she is now beyond any suffering and shared a joyous, if abbreviated, life with you and your family.  You have memories that won't easily fade.  Treasure those and know, too, that anyone who has ever loved a loyal, faithful, good dog shares a part of your loss, and so, you are not alone in your grief.  Take my word for it that the feelings of emptiness will pass and you'll feel better.  Not tomorrow and probably not the day after- but eventually, you will.  

You'll be in my prayers and those of many others as you struggle with this loss.  

Jim   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:10:02 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:41:13 am »
I am so sorry, Liz. I know it's not simply like losing a member of the family, it is losing a member of the family.

Our neighbors had to euthanize their fourteen-year-old black lab this weekend as well. She had been growing progressively weaker from arthritis and could not get up Saturday morning. Our black lab is looking for her every time she goes out. The neighborhood is not going to be the same without her.

We'll be thinking of you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:55 am »
Liz .....

I am so sorry.  Nothing can ease the emotional pain you are feeling right now.  The unexpectedness of it is probably what hurts the most.

Love and caring .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:34 am »
I can relate, as well.  Just remember that you gave her the best life ever.  It may not have been a very long life, but it was one filled with love.  She was a lucky girl to have found you.  Hope you have lots of pictures to make you smile.
Tears for you and for her,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:36 am »
Liz, My sympathy for the loss of a beloved pet.    Pets are part of the family.       We have none now but went thru many as one daughter esp was a huge pet lover and almost became a vet tech.            She even had over time had 2 pygmy hedgehogs who had tumors which had been found by a vet as our daughter took very good care of pets.           She is only into cats now with the loss of them.               Our lab took it hard with the loss of the cat and in time I can still tell you the date of losing Max later too.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:21 am »
Liz,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my "baby" a couple years ago who had been with me since college.  Nothing can take away that overwhelming feeling of loss and grief, but try your best to remind yourself of all the good times you had.  Dogs are never with us long enough and once you've lost a very special one, it is something  you never completely get over.  You will always miss them, but you will probably go on to love more pets as time goes on just as much as you loved your sweet girl.  It's just different.  Just like people, they all have their own personalities and unique relationships that are so special.  I did get another dog, Frankie, who I love with all my heart and who is now the furry master of this household.  My first dog and best friend, Tyson, still graces this house with pictures everywhere, memories I will always cherish, and even his ashes sit above my fireplace!  Tyson holds a place in my heart forever just as Keena will in yours.  I love her name and I believe her strength and bravery will continue to empower you as you continue to face your own challenges from your AN recovery.  Keena will always be there looking over you and sending you kisses from heaven.

My heart hurts for you now and I hope you are getting some sleep. 

God Bless,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:21 am »
Thank you all for your sympathy, and yes I did get some sleep.  Although I feel like I was running laps when I woke up feeling just as terrible.  I guess that what happens when you cry yourself to sleep...
I know I will have more amazing pets in my life and none of them will be like Keena was, but I really still "need" HER! 
I stayed home from work today, but I'm not sure how I will go back tomorrow.  The second I walk into my cube I will break down.  There are pictures of her smeared all over...

My house is filthy and I really don't want to vacuum, because all her hair will go with it and that makes me sad, who would have ever thought that sucking up hair would make me cry?

I am feeling really bad for my yellow lab as she is quite depressed today and will not eat her breakfast, she was best buds with Keena and I have to remember that she has lost a companion as well.  Hopefully we will find a new friend for her in the near future, because I am going to hate to leave her at home alone all day.

Anyway off to pick up some pictures I had printed out of her....

Thanks again!
Liz 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:49 pm »
 I am sorry for your loss ... I have lost several that have broke my heart ...I have got over the anger and sadness but will never forget them or what they meant to me ... especially one …CD was the worst loss ... he was a Catahoula and not quite 15 ½  when I lost him ...

he was a rescue and tiny when we got him in 1993 ... he could crawl in by boot and stick his head out and was dubbed Compact Dog by my oldest son and I shortened it to CD ...husband was not too happy as we were struggling just to stay together and had other dogs and he didn't want CD around ... CD grew quickly and  put my sons on the bus and hung out with me until they came home ... when I went through the divorce and my ex didn't want to fool with a dog but wanted to use him for a bargaining chip …CD became totally  mine in settlement papers in exchange for signing over a bucket truck , chipper , flatbed trailer , chain saws etc etc ... our tree trimming business worth into the 10's of thousands ... CD was worth it even though my sons and extended family thought I was nuts ... my ex would have sent him to pound or dumped him or killed him outright to hurt me and I couldn’t let that happen ...some said he was just a dog and I turned it on them and said it's just money ...my sons loved him but didn't think I should sign everything over to their dad ...but you do what you gotta do even when others think you nuts

CD saw me through the tears and fears that came with the divorce and welcomed Bo into my life when we got together ... he actually seemed to prefer Bo over me most days and at times I was jealous ... when Hannah was born in November 97 he was there sniffing and then slept under her crib ...his birthday is the 12th same as mine and I was hoping Hannah would join the club but she made her appearance on the 7th ... when Sarah came along in July 99 he was thrilled as Hannah had gotten to the point she didn't want a doggy nanny and tried to get away from him as he tagged behind her outside keeping track of her ... if she went too far he barked til I came … even if I was insight he barked …with Sarah he had a new charge… eventually Hannah grew back into him and he had 2 companions other than me … he let htem dress him and tie hats on him and paint his toe nails …he took it like a man and never complained … he came to me to be fed and taken care of but his heart belonged to the girls and Bo …

When I had the An Surgery in July 2007 he knew something was different … I was gone too long and Bo was gone with me … strange people were taking care of him and his kids … when I came home he was all over me sniffing and checking me out … once he decided I was OK and that I was  really me …he became my shadow never far away …he was also my ears … no one came up the drive without me knowing … he barked from turn in until they got out of car and I Okayed them …then he would calm down … when my FIL lost a leg in October 2007 CD began splitting his time between us … he would leave and walk across the field to sit at FILs feet for a while then come back and hang with me …

One day he didn’t respond when I called him … I walked over to where he lay in the sun and touched him and he all but jumped out of his skin … but when he turned his head I clapped and yelled … nothing … he had totally lost his hearing … I told Bo that night that CD was going to die … he asked why I thought that and I told him that CD was getting me ready to function without his ears  to help me …several month later on April 20th  he just went to sleep and didn’t wake up… vets had checked him and found nothing wrong other than being deaf …said he was in great shape for a 15 and ½  year old dog … I was heart broken , sad , mad , and felt let down or abandon …

I know you are hurting and it will pass ... but you won't forget ... I think of CD when it rains , he loved rain and when someone sneaks up on me … I scared the UPS man  when I opened the door to go out and he was about to knock and I screamed …  and mostly when the school bus stops at the end of the drive and he isn’t sitting there as I watch the girls get off in the afternoon …but I no longer feel like a chunk of me has been ripped away …more like a  dull ache and now I can focus on the good times and what I gained by having CD as a friend and family member …

Spend extra time with your other dog … she is grieving too and you can help each other …I would tell you I have a doggy brush with CD’s hair in it stuffed in a ziplock but that would make me just be too weird …I  usually keep that bit to myself and ignore Bo‘s funny looks and shaking head when it comes out of the junk drawer when someone is digging for something … but I do and find comfort in it being there ,  so I understand the vacuuming thing … I bought a new brush for other dogs …Take Care
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »
Liz,

I am so sorry.  I know how hard it is to lose a faithful companion like that too.  I had my lab mix for 16 years and she was with me through the most difficult times of my life.  It was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do when I had to let her go.  But they certainly don't deserve to suffer, so you have to know in your heart that you did the right thing for her.

You will have all the great memories of her with you forever, long after the fur has been vacuumed up.  Nothing can take that away.  And she sounds like she was one very lucky dog to have been rescued and loved so much.

I had the same thing happen with my greyhound that was very depressed after Alex was gone.  He would walk around the house and check all her usual comfy spots looking for her and he didn't want to go outside without her.  It got better and eventually we got a puppy to keep him company.  Of course at that point, he was an old man and probably would have preferred to not have a hyper puppy chewing on his ears and tail while he was trying to sleep.  I think he eventually forgave us for that.  There are so many other dogs that need a home, so I'm sure when you're ready, you'll find a good friend to keep everyone company.

Give you other pooch an extra scritch behind the ears from me.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:47:26 pm »
Liz,

Please accept my cyber hugs for your loss of Keena.  I am so sorry.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lizard

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:48 pm »
Again thank you all, this day has turned out to be much more peaceful and I'm finally moving toward remembering the great memories and not just the emptiness of where she should be and the feeling like she's just outside waiting for me to let her in or relaxing on her favorite spot on the bed (usually right on my husbands pillow).  I just came back from taking my other dog swimming, haven't seen her that happy in a while.  Now if I could just get her to eat...
I know this is what we sign up for, but she was only supposed to be 1/2 through her life and not at the end of it, she touched so many lives even our vet who called me crying. 
This dog was one in a million!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »
I am sure she was so much more than just a pet!  Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for your loss. 

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »
So sorry to hear about your loss of a very special friend. My heart goes out to you . Our two girls (one is also a rescue) are so special to us and I can't bear the thought of losing them.  I'm in the hospital with my wife recovering from her AN surgery and being away for weeks is hard enough, I can't imagine how this feels for you right now. It's true that rescue dogs often times rescue or teach the owner just as much as the other way around, and it sounds like that is the case with you. That pain will never fully heal, but I hope you hang on to all of the positives from your time with Keena and that brings you peace. When you're ready there are many more pups out that need great homes like yours.

Mike
Wife (ksiwek) - 3.5cm left side AN