Author Topic: Post surgery update  (Read 6146 times)

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
Re: Post surgery update
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:43 am »
Alexis the CSF situation really stinks, but in the big picture of things....they were able to remove the AN completely, that is great news :)

Seeing your spouse go through something like this is tough for sure, and can take a lot out of you as well.  Please make sure you take time to eat, and rest also.

Our thoughts will be with you, Robert, and the kids, as you all try to get through this very rough patch.

Happy Birthday to Thomas :)

Rich and Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mom2cbnt

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 07:53:43 pm »
Minor drama with the test for CSF.  There was a mix up with robert's lab work, they had it they didnt, they sent it out, they didnt,.. They only do the test one day a week.. they are waiting to send the test out until they have a batch.. Sent the test out, didnt send the test out. Did the test in house, dont have the results. oh yeah we do.    meanwhile Robert and I are sitting here for 5 days waiting for the test results. ... ARRRGG   

The test came back positive for CSF.  So he does have a leak. They have been very proactive in treating him with a med so far that should help stop the leak. At this point they will be checking for continuation of the leak in the morning. IF it is leaking in the morning still they WILL start a Lumbar Drain that will put him on his back on
bedrest for the next 3 days. If he doesnt leak they will send him home...

So I am asking all you prayer warriors to pray.. We know that God can heal this, he has already done so much, we just need to make it through tomorrow
morning with no further leakage. He hasnt had any leaking since yesterday afternoon... but then again they haven't forced him into a position that
causes it to leak. Also the amount of drainage has gone down significantly since saturday when they started him on the meds. He also doesnt have any
of the other symptoms of CSF leak, no headaches nothing just a very occasional drip out of the nose and only when he is sitting chin to chest for long periods of time so that is a miracle in itself, so GOD is GOOD, and we know he can heal this away as well.

I will update more when I can.

Alexis
wife of Robert who was diagnosed with 2.3 cm AN Left side.  3/16

translab U of M Ann Arbor, Mi  5/26 
During surgery AN measured just over 3 cm. 
Recovering slowly.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:54 pm »
Thanks for the updates!

YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS FOR SURE!!!

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »
Alexis .....

You and Robert have been through way more than your share in this journey!

Many thoughts and many prayers that the leak is stopping and he will soon be on the real road to complete recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sues1953

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 05:53:14 am »
Dear Alexis,

Thank you so much for the update.  I am praying that Robert is released today.  I am two weeks out and have had a reaction to the stitches and can't help but wonder if t here is some leakage, nothing comming out of the incision but it is quite puffy.  The Dr. looked at it and put me back on antiobiotics, stitches are still in.  So am am wondering what other symptoms Robert has.  I do have drainage down the back of my throat and I have to keep brushing me teeth to get rid of the terrible taste in my mouth.  The headachs are manageble with excedrin every 4 hours.

Best reguards to Robert, you and your boys.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

mom2cbnt

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »
Definately still leaking.. They are putting a lumbar drain in tonight hopefully. So looks like we will be here another few days.

Recovering slowly.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »
Wow...I just am getting caught up with this thread...I am so sorry that you are having to go through all that!! I know that it was good that this was caught before he left the hospital, but it sure doesn't feel better sometimes when you feel like you guys are just wasting time.  Insurance/hospitals sometimes get a bit on the stupid side. BUT, as it was mentioned, your hubby does have that out of his head and after time this will all just be a memory.  Don't get too frustrated, I find making lots of wisecracking jokes at someone's expense helps ease the tension! LOL...keep us updated on how things are going, take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

knakag01

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 11:32:58 am »
Alexis,

I am just getting caught up on all that has been going on and am so sorry to hear of Robert's post-op issues. You, Robert and your family are in my prayers. I do hope things turn around soon!

Take care,
Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

mom2cbnt

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 08:20:17 pm »
Quick Post...

We are home.  Lumbar drain worked great..  Robert is tired and resting alot, but hey he is excited he played his Xbox 360 today and didnt get dizzy or nauseaus. :)

Its the little things in life :)

post more later

Recovering slowly.

Lizard

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:24 am »
I'm so happy you are finally home and there's no more leaking. Thanks for the great news and cheers to successful recovery!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:08 pm »
Alexis ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations to Robert on the lumbar drain success and now, being home.  I trust Robert's recovery will continue apace.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:18 pm »
I wish you well.  I am so glad that you are home.  Please take care, you are in my prayers.  Keep us posted Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.