Author Topic: numbness on other side of face from Accoustic Neuroma - 2 CM  (Read 2166 times)

asaow

I have a 2CM Accoustic neuroma that my doctor has suggested that I wait and see. As I am waiting I have noticed recent slight numbness now and then on the opposite side of my face from the AN. Does this mean anything? Shouldn't numbness be on the same side of the face? I have an MRI scheduled for June 30. Is is ok to wait or see the doctor sooner. Otherwise everything is ok. I am thinking about getting Cyberknife if and when I treat this. Suggestions?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: numbness on other side of face from Accoustic Neuroma - 2 CM
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:49:10 am »
asaow .....

Welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends.  I'm glad you found us.  As you know, for the most part we are not medically trained people ..... but there is a wealth of personal experience information on this site.  If you have not already done so, I would strongly urge you to send for the ANAUSA informational materials.

Regarding the numbness:  unless you have a separate issue on the other side, the AN would be pressing on the facial nerve on the same side, causing the numbness.  Do you have hearing loss on either side?  If the numbness is new since you saw your doctor, I would certainly call his/her office and report this as a new symptom for some advice.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
Hi and welcome!
Interesting about the numbness on the oppopsite side. Sympathy numbness???? :D Definitely just give the doctor's office a call and let them know. If you get any additional symptoms, then of course call again.
Keep us informed, we care, and as your journey continues, we're here for ya!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »
Asaow ~

Hi and welcome to the AN forums.  I can't credibly address the numbness you're feeling on the opposite side of your AN but the upcoming MRI should shed some light on this if there is anything 'going on' on the other side.  I concur with the previous posters that you should let your doctor know about this latest development as it could be important.  He'll decide.

As for CyberKnife, if your doctor has presented that to you as an option, it is well worth considering.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.