Author Topic: Tongue numbness  (Read 52222 times)

Battyp

Tongue numbness
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:18:57 pm »
Has anyone else had their tongue numb after sugery?  If so did it go away?  Thanks, M

Raydean

Re: Tongue numbness
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:27:06 am »
Goof morning BP

Chet had/has tongue numbness  (tumor side) since surgery and was told that it was due to 5th nerve injury.  Also told that the 5th nerve is a pretty freaky nerve that they don't mess with much.
Being you're still close to surgery  (9 months) I'm hoping that your's is a temporary thing.
Hang in there,  and wishing you all things positive and good.

Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:21:08 am »
My left side of my tongue was numb prior to surgery and is still numb.  My doc said it is permanent.  i have learned to ignore it.

D.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:54:39 am »
The doctors haven't gotten to permanent yet but were talking nerve graft at a year.  I've been told by a different doc that the nerve graft won't work and it's the trigimenal nerve causing the problem.  I hate the choking on my tongue feeling.  Some days it's really bad.  Wonder what makes it worse on those days.  I keep saying if it went away I'b be doing pretty good  LOL

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 11:23:05 am »
The AN side of my tongue is numb also. It feels like I burnt it on something hot, especially on the side of the tongue but not to the point of being painful, just to the point of I know it's there.  I had this before the GK, and it is still there. I remember telling my dental hygenist about this on a checkup, 6 months ago. She must have thought I was nuts, and this is because these symptoms, at least for me, have been so hard to explain. So, now that I know more, I guess the nerve endings are creating the feeling that something is seeping into my mouth on the left side - like sinus drainage, or tears and this creates, also, a kind of taste sensation. She checked me over for any damage and found nothing, because I told her I didn't want this "drainage" to be ruining my teeth. So, I have my next dentist appointment next Thursday (also hair and doctor appointment - busy day!) and I can tell them, now, WHY I had all this going on. I have, thankfully, not lost my ability to taste things, but I have noticed that some tastes are different, or diminished, or changed. Perhaps I am only tasting things on the right side now. I had some Bread and Butter pickles and I don't think they tasted as strong to me as before.  That's when I thought, maybe something was different.  I hope it goes away, for both you and me!!   :P
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tony

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 11:46:50 am »
Yes lost the touch sensation on my tongue - it came back, but bit at a time, in thirds over  3-6-9mths.
nerves really can take time to mend
best regards
tony

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 01:33:57 pm »
Sue I have that gushing stuff too!  Not sure what it is and it's not a constant thing just every couple of days it's like dam broke  LOL  I craved bread and butte pickles after surgery  LOL

Tony I'm 8.5 mos post op and haven't had anything come back on that side.  >:(

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 05:53:47 pm »
I have a numbness in my tongue as well. It's been almost 2 years and I can say that I've had the most feeling come back in the last 6 months or so. It is still tingly but better. Hang in there.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 07:28:24 pm »
  I'm 3 1/2 years post op. and I have a numb tongue on the tumor side in the back.  My dr. talked like it would go away in time but its been  years, I think its here to stay.  My mouth will feel real cold, I hate it.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 07:32:39 pm »
I don't feel hot and cold sensations on my left side which gets real annoying.  I want it gone!  I don't think I'm going to get what I want. I also don't think nerve grafts will make a difference. 

jzgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 10:29:17 am »
Hi, I'm new here.  I had Gamma on 2/27/06. My tongue has a numb
center.Ã? can't taste much salt either. That started right after the procedure. I've got other nasty stuff happening too. I'm wondering if
I could have lived without the gamma, now? jzgirl

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:24 am »

Hey Sue did you ever get your taste back???

The AN side of my tongue is numb also. It feels like I burnt it on something hot, especially on the side of the tongue but not to the point of being painful, just to the point of I know it's there.  I had this before the GK, and it is still there. I remember telling my dental hygenist about this on a checkup, 6 months ago. She must have thought I was nuts, and this is because these symptoms, at least for me, have been so hard to explain. So, now that I know more, I guess the nerve endings are creating the feeling that something is seeping into my mouth on the left side - like sinus drainage, or tears and this creates, also, a kind of taste sensation. She checked me over for any damage and found nothing, because I told her I didn't want this "drainage" to be ruining my teeth. So, I have my next dentist appointment next Thursday (also hair and doctor appointment - busy day!) and I can tell them, now, WHY I had all this going on. I have, thankfully, not lost my ability to taste things, but I have noticed that some tastes are different, or diminished, or changed. Perhaps I am only tasting things on the right side now. I had some Bread and Butter pickles and I don't think they tasted as strong to me as before.  That's when I thought, maybe something was different.  I hope it goes away, for both you and me!!   :P
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lori67

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »
Half of my tongue feels like I've burnt it too.  My doctor said it probably won't come back, but who knows?  Maybe some day I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I had to have some dental work on my good side a few weeks ago and had to try to chew on my AN side - and realized I couldn't taste a thing.  It was hardly worth the effort to chew!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:06:42 pm »
Yup, tongue numbness, check.  My tumor was wrapped around the freaky trigeminal so I'm having lots of problems with the uncooperative right side of my face.  Only 3 weeks post-op and trying to be patient. Not my strong suit.  Patience, that is.

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »
same here, the tongue on my left side was numbed after surgery and i got full sensation back in the last month or so.  i could not enjoy my food for a while but now it is either too salty or too sweet, helps me reduce my salt and sugar intake i guess  ;D hang in there!!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan