Author Topic: Eyelid issue  (Read 4600 times)

Cheryl R

Eyelid issue
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:11:37 am »
I had an interesting visit to see an oculoplastic surgeon at Univ of Iowa to see what could be done about my very puffy poochy eyelid on the side where have had the facial neuroma and nerve graft along with another AN.       My surgeon said he was the one to see when mentioned it at my appt earlier this year.        I can see a little of the overhang  even.     They first did a visual field test to see how well my vision is and then with the area taped up.          Residents drs saw me and said yes I do have some visual impairment.        The surgeon then saw me and immed told me that it is not the eyelid causing the problem but the eyebrow due to my lack of movement with that area.         Just pushing my eyebrow up made a difference.      Surgery to help this he said is cosmetic in spite of having some visual problem.      In time I might qualify.        I was quite surprised and also that why didn't I figure that out.         Even more is why my surgeon did not mention this.         I would think he might have a clue about that being the possibilty due to his doing ANs for many years.                I am going to talk to my ins co and see what their take is.     Other than they will agree it is cosmetic I am sure.              So made a trip for nothing but had a nice getaway as a friend went with me this time and not husband.       Plus would take a different surgery than expected to fix this is ever do go thru it. 
       I was also mentioned having some synkinesis in the eye area and he said Botox can be done for that.     I get by and not sure want that.                                                     Cheryl R                                 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Eyelid issue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:15:04 am »
Hi Cheryl-

I've read about a couple of people who've had the eyebrow lifted to improve sight and I am pretty sure that insurance will cover it if the surgeon puts it through as medically necessary.  In fact, I have a good friend who had both eyebrows lifted and some fat removed from her lids - they had gotten so droopy that they were interfering with her vision.  And, insurance covered the whole thing.  Worth checking, even if you decide not to do it.  Seems like you've been through enough already! 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:55 am »
My whole visit had it all being done to show ins I needed it and everyone talked about that so is even more surprising that then the dr seemed to think different.        I don't know if my lack of movement is a factor too.    Anyway will try to check into it more. 
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:14 am »
"functional plastic surgery" I believe is the wording that they used for mine for insurance purposes...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:03 am »
I have also noticed that I can see so much better when I lift my forehead up on the affected side, so that is one of the things on my to do list after I recover from this face surgery.
Hopefully your insurance will cover it.
It may make a real difference for you!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 02:20:10 pm »
I wonder if they would do blepharoplasty? I would need that, an eyebrow lift would make me look surprised. Maybe they would be reluctant to do it if your eye doesn't close or blink? Hmmmmm interesting.

http://www.medicinenet.com/blepharoplasty__eyelid_surgery/article.htm

Michelle  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »
Michelle,       I would think that the oculo plastic surgeon should have made some mention of that if it was an option for me.    The people who did my visual field test was talking to each other about my being a candidate for ptosis surgery.       I have not done any more checking into it yet and might be a bit of time before I do with some other things going on.       I am not the normal one for some of these surgeries with the no eyebrow movement.     Could I  get messed up and lose my blink which I do have and around 98-99% eye closure.       Add these all to the things ANs can cause.                     
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:22:43 am »
I wonder if they would do blepharoplasty?

Not every day that someone wonders that. You are getting into some pretty fancy lingo, I must say.   :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »
I wonder if they would do blepharoplasty?

Not every day that someone wonders that. You are getting into some pretty fancy lingo, I must say.   :D

I thought I was the only one who did that!  ;)

For those who are wondering (all 3 of you) 'blepharoplasty' is the medical term for what most of us would call an 'eye lid lift'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »
haha you guys are funny - isn't google a wonderful thing?

I have always wanted an 'eyelid life' but was told I need to wait but now with complications from an AN who knows?.
Michelle  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:59:42 am »
Michelle, I hope you mean you wanted an eye lid lift as we all have an eye lid life!   Or we hope we do anyway!       LOL!            I am putting my interest in it off for  a while as several things coming up thru June.       it's not going to get any better on it's own but have lived with worse things!                         Cheryl R         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 05:18:35 pm »
That is so funny Cheryl - yes I want an eyelid life and lift!  ;D ;D
Michelle