Author Topic: Tampa -- Dr. Danner?  (Read 5709 times)

ESV

Tampa -- Dr. Danner?
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »
I was diagnosed with AN two weeks ago after winding up in the ER with severe vertigo.  A ENT in Fort Myers, Florida (where I live) referred me to Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center, Dr. Loren Bartels.  I saw his associate, Dr. Christopher Danner, who took lots of time discussing my tumor, symptoms, options, etc.  I am scheduled for some specialized tests in early June, followed by another consultation with Dr. Danner.  I have seen some positive comments re Dr. Bartels in this forum.  Any more feedback on this practice, specifically re Dr. Danner?

I am a 63 year old, single lady working as a teacher.  I feel well, have little hearing loss, but am experiencing constant disequilibrium.  I am functioning reasonably well at work, but my balance problems have affected my overall mobility. My tumor is about 1 cm. 

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Tampa -- Dr. Danner?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:35 pm »
I already sent you a PM, but welcome to our "little" group.  I really liked Dr. Danner even though I mostly saw Bartels.  Both are professional and yet very "approachable".  They both really go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable with everything.  Both doctors work together in surgery.  I had my prescriptions show up BEFORE my surgery so I didn't have to worry about getting my meds after the fact.  A few days after getting home, I started to have more pressure and pain and the pain killers they gave me weren't helping.  I called in to a 24 hour number they gave me, and Dr. Danner called me back and told me it was swelling and was expected and it was time to start my steroids.  Bingo - the pain was gone.

Dr. Danner was also the one who came to see me in the ICU the day after surgery.  I asked him if I could go home and he said "absolutely", and away I went.  Surgery March 5th, home March 6th.  Can't beat that.

That said, everyone is different.  I think it's important to say that just because I had a great experience with the two doctors, others may have had problems.  Probably the most important thing, if you decide to have surgery, is to call in right away if you start having more than just minor pain.  The sheet they send you home with lists that as one of the reasons to call in.

In my opinion, you couldn't have a better team if you decide to have the surgery.  My AN was just a little over 1cm, but was starting to give me grief such as vertigo, hearing loss (and strange vibrations in loud areas), and tinnitus.  I also had a strange symptom that Dr. Bartels said he hadn't heard of before, but said it could be related to the AN.  A few times, my vision would become fuzzy on the outer edges, like looking through a prism or something.  No amount of blinking would fix it...just had to wait it out.

Guess that's enough for now.  The tests are a hoot, especially when they pour hot water in your ear! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nanlt124

• learning more everyday
Re: Tampa -- Dr. Danner?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:05:07 pm »
hi   just read this past re dr danner and dr bartels       i was dx 2wks ago at largo diagnostic clinic by dr w goldstein, ent     he sent me immediately to tampa to see dr danner     i was really impressed with the amount of time he took with his explanations and reassurances      bottom line, i am having sx on 0930 at tampa general and feel that i am in good hands     have no idea what the outcome and recovery will be but, i will post afterward and let you know     i was very glad to read such positive info on these doctors    i had not heard anything about them       i was really wondering if i should travel to have this done and now i am confident
thanx      nancy from clearwater                by the way   the hot water was a trip and totally unexpected       glad she told me just before doing it