Author Topic: Any experience with Dr. Jed Kwartler N.J.  (Read 12236 times)

AIteach

Any experience with Dr. Jed Kwartler N.J.
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »
I really like Dr. Kwartler.  I've heard some good things.  I was just wondering if anyone's had personal experience with the Summit Medical Group and Dr. Kwartler in NJ?
diagnosed Feb. 2010
wait and watch
tumor: 6mm
Fall 2018 still W&W 8mm
August 2021 grew to 1.2cm
8/21 Treatment: Fractionated SRS

JerseyGirl2

Re: Any experience with Dr. Jed Kwartler N.J.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:58 pm »
Hi, AIteach,

I'm assuming you live in NJ since you asked about Dr. Kwartler. I live in Monmouth County and while Dr. Kwartler was not my AN surgeon I've heard him speak a couple of times at ANA/NJ meetings, which are held at the Summit Medical Group complex. A number of his patients have been in the audience at these meetings and they seem to like him.

Speaking of ANA/NJ, the spring meeting is scheduled for Sunday, April 18 (1:00 - 3:00 p.m.) at the Summit Medical Group. An informal patients' panel will discuss "Coping with the Aftermath of Acoustic Neuroma" and it will provide a great opportunity for you to meet some other AN folks who live in the area. Here's the link to their website:

http://www.ananj.org/

Go to the April newsletter (pdf format) and look on the last page for the details of the meeting.

You should probably also investigate some of the doctors in New York City -- Drs. Galfinos and Roland are the doctors of several Forum members, and others are mentioned frequently as well. I had my surgery at House in Los Angeles and was quite pleased, but if you're not interested in traveling that far there are certainly some excellent treatment places closer to home!

Best wishes as you continue your research.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:03:42 pm by JerseyGirl2 »
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

AIteach

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:07:05 pm »
Thanks Catherine,
Yes, I just saw the meeting info and printed it out.  Apparently the group is having another meeting this Saturday in South Jersey as well, and I was thinking of traveling there.  BTW-I teach in Monmouth County and live in Northern Ocean County.  I'm not sure if House could be an option for me, but I did notice that Dr. Kwartler did his fellowship there.  I definitely will at least get some info and opinions from the New York Docs. (It certainly can't hurt)  I am, fortunately, in the W & W group and I'm in "gathering info" mode at the moment.  Thank you so much for your response and perspective.  It's sort of nice to know I'm not the only "Jersey Girl" in this group. (Of course I wish neither of us had to be here)  Maybe I'll see you at a meeting one of these days. 
Thanks again!
Lauren
(yet another Jersey Girl)
diagnosed Feb. 2010
wait and watch
tumor: 6mm
Fall 2018 still W&W 8mm
August 2021 grew to 1.2cm
8/21 Treatment: Fractionated SRS

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »
Hi Lauren and welcome from yet another Jersey Girl!   ;D

I didn't have my surgery in NJ because I lived in TN at the time (I'm in VA now), but I just wanted to say hello and welcome.  I grew up in North Jersey and my mom and sister currently live in Atlantic County.  Next time I'm up that way, maybe we can grab a cup of coffee (or cawfee, as it's correctly pronounced).

Good luck on your search for info.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:24:46 pm »
I have a brother who lives in Summit, New Jersey - and I spent a week at the shore two summers ago - does that count?  Brother is a systems analyst @ Schering-Plough/Merck.

Last year I talked to a woman whose husband had been diagnosed with an AN and he was going to Dr. Kwartler.  She got my name through the ANA WTT list.  She said that she and her husband both liked Dr. Kwartler very much.  

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:50 pm »
Hi AIteach! I think coming to the AN meeting at the Summit Medical Group will be very benificial. Iv`e been going there since diognosis in 2007 and always coming back with "good vibes". The people you meet alone will fill your day with joy! I probably will be on the panal that day usually showing off my Neuromonics machine and Wait + Watch outlook. Hope to see you there, Mickey

Toccoah74

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »
I'm going to see him for a follow up, after surgery from 5yrs ago, simply because I do not want to drive back and forth to NYC ( I live in point pleasant NJ) However. Thee most amazing surgeon that I found, after months of extensive research for my cholesteatoma tumor, was Dr. Christopher Linstrom, at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary. Google his name. It's all he performs is Skull based surgery I wouldn't be here if not for him and have referred many of people to him to have thee same surgery performed and all have been very grateful! Good luck. Google his name. You will see..........

annamaria

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »
Catherine (JerseyGirl 2), AIteach,

any further information on NJ doctors, and/or Jed Kwartler, since this post a few months back?

Annamaria

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:25:13 pm »
Interesting that you should ask.

My ANA/NJ October 2010 Newsletter arrived today and among the "Notices" is the following:  "Summit Medical Group has announced that Dr. Jed A. Kwartler has become the 'first and only physician in New Jersey to become board certified in neurotology.' Congratulations to Dr. Kwartler."

Whoa -- hard to believe that he's the only one in the state isn't it? Perhaps that helps to explain why so many New Jerseyans go to NYC or Los Angeles for their AN treatment.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

annamaria

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »
Thanks -- I'm looking for a neurologist that can help bridge the medical gap before/after surgery (per my other post)... I'm considering John Hopkings for treatment, but I need a local (NJ) base ... I'm researching that aspect at this juncture ...

Any further input you may have it's appreciated...

You make a good point, and perhaps this thread is worthwhile having, for the benefit of others ... With such a large population of people in the NJ-NY-Conn tristate area, one would think there would be an abundance of doctors in the region, but perhaps, apparently not.  Of course, there are NYC doctors, but to get in-and-out takes 4 hours of commute and $100 in transportation (+/-).  BTW, not looking for surgeons, just neurologist that have an overview & can provide overall consultation/on-going care ... seems hard to find ... being looking at this in background mode past 3 months...

Annamaria