Author Topic: Just checking in  (Read 8324 times)

opp2

Just checking in
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:29 pm »
I thought I'd check in. I visit usually every day, but don't post often. I've been following with great interest Kathy's post, and now Kaybo's adventures in moving.

I find that I am really tired lately. To the point of sheer exhaustion. I thought my head issues were balance but now I think more that I'm tired. You know how you get that heavy head feeling right before you drop off to sleep? And I've been day dreaming about napping. I have not napped my entire live, much to my mother's dismay as a baby. I'm also recovering from a reallly nasty sinus infection and cold so that could be contributing. I actually did nap 2 days in a row..it was a miracle.  :D

Otherwise I'm still waiting for my surgery date to be announced. Still on desk duty, still trying to work out and stay fit...But I'd really like to get this done...I'm sure about day 2 I'll wish I was where I am today...but about day 50 I hope to be beyond all this fatigue...

Take care all, I'll be watching..
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Just checking in
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »
oop2,

Sending good thoughts your way...the waiting for the date is the worst.  Once you are in postie land everything seems to get easier.  Get as much rest as you can and hmmm, not a napper when you were a tot?  Poor Mom :) 
Take care...I will be watching for updates.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nanramone

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »
yes - I have one month before GK and feel mentally/physically more tired than usual. I think the stress is so hard on our minds and bodies.

take care~

Nancy

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »
oop2

Hi there, Great to hear from you. Going through a cold is not what it used to me, it seems to aggravate all the symptoms. But glad that you are still hanging in there and going about life day to day which is very important. I thought you were having surgery in BC but then I thought I read something else? Did you decide where the surgery will take place?

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

opp2

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:01:24 pm »
Yep, the surgery will be in BC..just waiting for a date. It'll come, I'm sure. Thanks for words all!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »
Having cold symptoms along with the usual AN symptoms are not double trouble, tired from all the fatigue of fighting off a cold and a AN.  Good luck with your surgery and hoping it all goes well.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »
opp2~
Having a cold or infection DEFINITELY makes things worse!  So sorry you are having to wait...not knowing is the WORST!  Hope you hear something soon so that you can put this behind you and get on with your life!!

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

opp2

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:13 pm »
This just in:

I've just returned home from my 4th MRI...third one at the same clinic. I'm not surprised to see growth of the tumour. I don't need a radiologist to tell me that it's grown, it's pretty darn visible on the MRI screen. I need to still have the report sent to Dr. Akagami on BC but it is looking like, from what I see, 4mm of growth. Outside the margin of error for sure. Believe it or not, I'm pleased to see that I was right, concerned about the growth, tired of waiting, and resigned to what fate may bring....(don't get me wrong I aint done yet!)

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that they found growth, but if you knew there was something going on anyway then you are not shocked.  Its funny how some people don't show any growth while other have "over the threshold" growth.  Well let us know what the report says when you hear.

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

LisaP

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 04:54:02 am »
oops,

Sorry to hear about your growth, hope your cold is better, keep us posted on your surgery date.

Best wishes,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

mk

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:00 am »
Hi Nikki,

sorry about the growth, it is exactly similar to what I had in the 6 month interval between my diagnostic MRI and the 1st follow up, while I was still waiting for treatment. I remember that it was quite the shock for me when I found out, knowing that it was way higher than the average growth.
Well, at least you have your plan ready, and you will take care of this bugger pretty soon.
In the meantime I hope that your symptoms have eased up a bit to make your wait easier.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

opp2

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:25:39 pm »
I went to my family doctors after she called me for an appt. She tells me at least 3mm growth all around. There is no sign of hydrocephalus thankfully. I'm pretty tired these days. I don't know if I'm trying to recover from my husbands surgery and complication adventure or if it's the tumah.

Dr. A has the disc and the report from the radiologist. More waiting I suspect. I've heard from friends in BC that Dr. Westerberg is unavailable for the month of June and Dr. A is going on leave on July 19th. I think if I don't go by May 31 (highly unlikely) it will be in July between 01 and 19. Hopfully. If not we're looking at August. Dr A did say through is secretary, that it could very well be next fall. That was back in October 2009.

How far do I push... How much more to wait...I just don't know...

But ... I stand by my decision to wait and go with Dr. A (of course I would). I still believe I'm in the best possible hands for me. But holy crap what a ride.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
Hey Nikki,

So sorry about the growth of your tumour.  "Squeaky wheel get the grease!" 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:53 pm »
I hear you. Truly. I'm just hesitant because I know there are others out there sicker than I. I will wait until next week and if I don't hear, I'll give a ring to BC and see what's up. I just hate to do that. 

We'll see.

Thank you everyone for your support and thoughts. One day at a time.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »
Is that a "MOM thing" always waiting and thinking about others? Or is it part of our culture?

I see Dr R Wed, I'm asking him for a referral to a neurologist @ Toronto General.  Mine is okay, but she has never had anyone like us.  Are you seeing a neurologist?

Thinking of you Nikki, keep us posted,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games