Author Topic: Balance & headache problems 3 months post-op  (Read 3848 times)

kzanana

Balance & headache problems 3 months post-op
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:13:23 am »
My trans-lab was 1/25/08  and My balance is still very bad, with lots of therapy.  Most times when I leave my home I use a cane. In the house I am familiar and use walls and furniture for balance. Still have major head pain. I have the "waves" in the head most talk about but it also feels like my head is is a constant vice that gets tighter as the day goes on.  I too, just push myself and do what I can.  Bending makes the balance worse, but I do it even though I know I will pay for it.  I am tired of not doing the things I love, even pulling weeds.  I have tried many meds but nothing seems work on this kind of head pain.  I have decided that everyone who had had this surgery is different so read the posts and soak in the information. That is what helped me.  Knowing what could happen and knowing my pain and problems are not just "mine" still gives me hope that I will continue to progress.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:40:49 pm by Jim Scott »

Lizard

Re: Balance & headache problems 3 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:09:39 pm »
You are not alone and I completely understand how difficult it is not to be able to do the things you love.  It takes time and three months is a very short period of time in the grand scheme your AN.  The vice grip should lessen as you heal, but you might want to mention it to your doctor as there are medications that can help.  Reading the posts help, but we are here to encourage, listen to and help each other, so tell us whats on your mind and we are all here to help sort it out.
Don't forget to listen to your body and I'm sure its hard this time of year when all those weeds start to crop up.  There's always weed killer  ;D

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nanramone

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:58:54 am »
I agree that it's important to read all that's available to learn what MIGHT go wrong - I am preparing for the worst, but believing that there will be a very good outcome. Some friends have suggested that I was dwelling on the negative for a while - but that is not true - I was becoming informed, and it's hard! You are an example of someone who is having a hard time...and it's helpful to me to remember that just because I'm having GK next month which will be initially easier than surgery, it is probably not going to be a 100% easy ride somewhere down the road.

Thank you for sharing, and I hope things become easier for you very soon.

Nancy

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:14 am »
kzanana ,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having the major headaches (lots said about them and Capt Deb is the headaches expert).  I have them, but take Topamax daily and it does a good job of making sure I don't get them as often as I did.  The balance problems have continued for me, but I also have MS, so I am sure that mine wouldn't be nearly as bad if it had been a normal recovery.  I have learned that I don't bend over anymore, I stoop down and use props getting back up. 
I also found that if I push myself too hard too often, my balance and headaches are worse.  Take it easy on yourself, get lots of rest and enjoy learning who the new you is.  I have found I have far more patience and compassion than I had five years ago.  It all takes time.  I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
kzanana, I wanted to respond particularly to your comment about weeding.  I am a Master Gardener and it hurt like you know what to   do simple things like weeding.  I was guaranteed to get a brainwreck, but there was no way I wasn't going to garden.  I talked to my physical therapist and he told me to be especially mindful of my chin as I was working in the garden.  It's very easy to overextend your neck when you are reaching over to yank a week or do some other chore.  I try to remember that when I'm playing in the dirt.  Over time, my stamina and balance improved and if I don't overdo, I can pretty much work as I used to.  Pre-surgery, I also bought myself one of those gizmos that doubles as a seat and a knee pad, which I used to sit on and steady myself.

Good luck to you
staypoz