Author Topic: Dexamethasone =Weight Gain?  (Read 28905 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Dexamethasone =Weight Gain?
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:47 pm »
I was wondering if any of you have been given this steroid before and after surgery. Phyl and I were talking about this drug and its generic companion (can't remember the name). Since my ordeal last September, I've added a couple of inches to my waist even though I don't eat any more than I did before surgery. I think I'm starting to shed the weight now. It takes a long, long time to cleanse the accumulation of drug residue from the liver.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

wanderer

Re: Dexamethasone =Weight Gain?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:14:40 pm »
yes it can cause weight gain.   much like prednisone

I've been on it several times

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:19:32 pm »
Decardron is the other name and yes I put on weight before surgery after starting on the drug...still trying to lose it!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:13 pm »
Crazycat,
  Yep, it's steriod and can lead to weight gain.  When I was on it I had thoughts like "I want a cheesburger........Now".
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:13:26 pm »
LOL  Problem was I typically got what I wanted and then some! 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:20:21 pm »
Secondly, I'm curious how long you all were kept on Decadron/Dex.  Dr. said yesterday he expects me to be on 7 days including the taper. 

Paul, my fellow bird owner, if you caught my comments on another thread (somewhere), I had quite the epiphany when I realized Decadron = Dexamethasone, as Dex is what we give birds that fly into windows, knocking themselves silly, at the wildlife rehab I volunteer at.  I've done an IM on many of them with that and they get the taper too.  Odd coincidence. 

I hope that 7 days isn't enough for significant weight gain, and I hope 7 days is it. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:22:20 am »
Ahhh, I am holding the now empty container for the dexamethasone I was given before my surgery. There were 40 tablets. I was instructed to take four a day for ten days before surgery.

My girlfriend has informed me that I was also given the same drug through the I.V. while in the hospital after surgery to decrease swelling.
This I have no recollection of, being out of it as I was at the time.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kilroy1976

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:56:12 am »
Gained weight even though I had difficulty eating and was bouncing off the walls the whole time. Still trying to shed it, sigh. I was on it for two weeks.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:48:19 am »
Mom I know I'm the exception to the "rules" when it comes to treatment.  I was on it from aug around october if I remember correctly.  I was getting 16 mgs's a day (4mg x4 a day) after surgery before surgery I think I took one day but don't really remember very well.  I also had iv steriods during and after surgery to reduce swelling. I curse the drug but also know it saved my bacon so I know it's a necessary evil! :P

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 12:01:29 pm »
The steroids made me try to eat my weight in mashed potatoes nightly post-op.  They were fabulous (the mashed potatoes, not the steroids) I didn't have to make 'em and I slathered 'em in gravy.  Was still eating at the hospital cafeteria because we were at House Ear Clinic's guesthouse and all the other AN'ers were there. I won the mashed potato eating competition hands down! ;D

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 12:31:22 pm »
Wow, I can talk about this one!  Went on the steroid the day of procedure and tapered off a week later.  These are important drugs and they give it to you for a reason, as far as I'm concerned. That tumor gets very upset when it get's nuked, and something has to control it's death throes.   I was only on it a week. I have no weight gain but then I am also diabetic and couldn't give in to my food cravings, which, believe me I had plenty of those!) I didn't sleep much. Yesterday was a horrible day because I never fell to sleep the night before - just layed there with my eyes shut, then moved to the couch with my eyes shut, then to the other couch with my eyes shut - but no sleep. Got in 2 hours and that was it in the late morning. It was a horrible, horrible day. I called the pharmacist who assured me that the drugs were working their way out of my system (24-48 hrs) and I'd be okay.  Last night I finally slept. And dreamed!  And woke up and WENT BACK TO SLEEP. Praise the Lord!  A good nights sleep is worth it's weight in gold. Especially when you feel like you got a case of the "punnies", anyway.  And when the brain says, "sleep is hightly overrated.." then you just gotta wait it out until the meds are gone. I personally don't know how anyone can take those meds and go back to work. At least I wouldn't have been able to.

My mother had cancer and died when I was only 15. She was on some sort of steroid then and for a much longer period of time. She has photos taken of her that don't hardly look like the mother I knew and loved - she had a full moon face and looked like a little dumpling!  She NEVER was overweight. She was a foxy chick.   ::)
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 08:57:24 pm »
Sue so sorry to hear about your mom.  Yes, dec can cause the "moon face". 

Sounds like you are in the decadron crash stage....all you'll want to do is sleep!
I think it's to make up for all the missed sleep  LOL

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 11:49:23 pm »
Hi

Actually, I'm feeling pretty good today. I feel like I crossed some invisible barrier...the brain fog has lifted and I am feeling kind of like old Sue again.  My auntie says I sounded much better on the phone. My husband and I went to the fair grounds to take in the yard and garden show for a few hours, and then went grocery shopping. I did pretty good!  I made a nice dinner and we watched a movie. I'd still love a good nights sleep. Didn't get to sleep last night until after 3 a.m.  Didn't have ANY caffeine tonight and maybe if I read, I'll get sleepy. Don't feel near as tired as I did.  But I want to feel sleepy!!  I want to sleep for 10 hours. Really, I do.

But, the drugs feel like they are gone. Gad, I'd make a terrible drug addict.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 08:21:49 am »
Sue you're a hoot! 
I stopped caffiene while in the hospital and when I've had it since it wires me!  I do not like the feeling at all! 

You'll get to the crash and burn stage.  My problem was I tried to stop taking naps and just couldn't...problem was I'd want to crash by about 5 in the evening which of course would make it impossible to sleep at bed time.  It's such a vicious cycle!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 06:57:51 pm »
Yes, I am a hoot!!  LOL ;D

I actually drove the car, ran a bunch of errands yesterday morning and did okay.  I ended up with a weird kind of headache and had it this morning, too.  But another dose of tylenol finished it off.  Didn't do much today but I got in two walks and should maybe take another one as I was snacking this afternoon, and shouldn't have done that.   Slowly coming back, I guess.  Dr.'s office called to reschedule my follow up appointment as dr will be in surgery.  Some nerve, huh?  So, don't see him until the 11th.  Anyway, I don't suppose he'll tell me anything of great interest anyway.  Pin sites look good,see you in 6 months, buh bye.

Later,
Sue

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode