Author Topic: Head shaving advice  (Read 10728 times)

geekmama

Head shaving advice
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:56 am »
I'm wondering if anyone could give me some information about experience shaving their whole head for the surgery.  I am only concerned with the comfort level.  I'm female so my hair will all grow back.  It just seems to me that since I will be having the surgery near the end of this April that I will want to have a cool head and not have to worry about washing my hair for a while.  I figure I'll be able to run a wash cloth over it once in a while.

I work as an online instructor so I don't need to look good for a long time.  I'm considering getting a part-time face to fact job 6 months or so after the surgery so I'll have enough hair by then.

My biggest concern is whether it'll get too itchy as it grows back in or be uncomfortable in any way during the regrowth period.

What experiences have people had?
Aileen
3.2 cm X 2.3 cm AN diagnosed 2/5/2010
Surgery 4/23/2010
Second surgery for infection 5/11/2010
Dr. McKenna and Dr. Barker at MGH
Back to pre-tumor functioning 1/2012

carter

Re: Head shaving advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:22 am »
i had ck ... i asked about hair loss and the radio doc said that i would have very little hair loss as i had very little to start with.  i actually had 0.

but for surgery - i have been told that it is a small area to be shaved ... not the whole head.  samll may be realtive but i doubt that you will have a full shave.

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
I'm wondering if anyone could give me some information about experience shaving their whole head for the surgery.

Wow. Unless you're interested in making a strong visual "statement" with regard to your surgery,  I think you may find that shaving your whole head is a bit extreme. Regardless of the procedure (translab, etc.), you're not going to be losing a whole lot of hair. I wear my hair quite short (bottom of my ears) and had no trouble at all concealing the shaved portion after my surgery.

On the other hand, a whole-head shave would certainly eliminate the "I can't wait to wash my hair!" dilemma that we face post-surgery!

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
My two cents worth - don't do it.

Docs usually only shave as much hair as they need to in order to do the surgery.  And I can truthfully tell you that by the time my stitches were removed 9 days post op, most of the hair around my incision had grown back in.

As far as hair washing goes, it is horrible not to be able to shampoo (I had to wait 9 days) but IMO it's not horrible enough to shave your entire head.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »
Aileen ~

Although shaving your head pre-op is a bit extreme, you seem to be comfortable with it and of course, it's your choice.  As the previous posters have stated, the area shaved for the incision is very small but the post-op prohibition on shampooing is unpleasant - even for guys with relatively short haircuts.  Whether you go ahead with your plan to shave your head or not, I think your boldness and unconcern about having extremely short hair for a time is refreshing.  I wish you a successful surgery and rapid recovery - no matter the length of your hair.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:26:05 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:39:43 pm »
Yeah, as it turns out, surgeons don't shave your whole head for this procedure.  Always nice to have some good news, huh??   ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »
Like someone else said-if you want to do it as a statement, then go for it.
If you're worried about your hair, you may want to get some clarification before doing it.  Wouldn't I have felt silly if I had shaved my head before they did THIS:

It was basically nothing.  After a week (or 10 days?) I was allowed to wash it and carried on like normal.  I know some people get more than that shaved, but that's why it's probably worth an ask to your surgeon.
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

clr

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:43:43 am »
My daughter's hair was down to the middle of her back. As everyone else said, they only shaved enough for the incision. As far as washing your hair goes, she came home on a Wednesday and she was able to wash her hair on Friday as long as she didn't get the incision wet. So, she would lean her head into the kitchen sink and I would wash it with the sprayer. Doing it this way was really easy to keep the water off her incision.

Good luck!!
Cindy & Betsy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:14:01 am »
I did a mohawk before my surgery, but only because it was something I'd always wanted to try and figured it was a good time. I wore a scarf for awhile while things were growing back out / my hair was nappy from infrequent washing, but that time doesn't last long. Especially with the steriods for post-op swelling, my hair grew back fast.
I'd say if it's something you want to do just for fun then do it, but you don't have to because of surgery.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »
Pretty much like everyone else, I wouldn't think it necessary to shave your entire head.  Besides, better to have a small patch itching as hair grows back rather than your entire head!!  I had surgery on a Weds, came home Sat, washed my hair (with hubby's help) on Sunday.  We have a detachable shower head, so it was very easy to keep that side fairly dry.  The surgeon said to shampoo with baby shampoo for the first few weeks, and also said that it was okay to run water over the incision. 

Hope that helps?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

geekmama

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 09:32:48 am »
Thanks for the information.  I did know the doctors don't shave your whole head.  I just wanted to know if it would hurt me afterward.  I shaved my head once before when my girlfriend was going through radiation and I liked it.  In  my community women having shaved heads is considered a pretty normal fashion statement.

My symptoms just keep getting worse.  I have continuous and total vertigo.  I can't wait for surgery, just 2 weeks to go!
Aileen
Surgery 4/23/2010

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:03 pm »
My surgeons specifically told me to *not* shave my head before surgery.  Something about the quality of the job done compared to what they do, and that they'd have to redo it in the OR.  Don't know if that's true or not, but I didn't pursue it since I was not about to go shaving my head anyway!   ;D 

If it's something you do want to do for yourself and your own reasons, just ask the surgeons what they think about it.  Then make the decision.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Lizard

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 07:57:55 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I did know the doctors don't shave your whole head.  I just wanted to know if it would hurt me afterward.  I shaved my head once before when my girlfriend was going through radiation and I liked it.  In  my community women having shaved heads is considered a pretty normal fashion statement.

My symptoms just keep getting worse.  I have continuous and total vertigo.  I can't wait for surgery, just 2 weeks to go!

Go for it, but you might feel a little self conscious, not with the buzz cut, but because the scar will be very obvious.  I didn't need any reason to bring attention to myself after, and did everything I could to hide the scar.  It kinda hurt my confidence a little.  If you're going for easy that's about as easy to manage as it gets.
Good luck with your treatment and remember bald is beautiful  :D
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Lynn Mc

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:18:54 am »
I left my hair alone.  Dr's Barker & McKenna shaved a small amount of hair around the incision site.  With my grown kids helping me I washed my hair as soon as I got home.  They made sure everything that needed to stay dry did.  It was wonderful!!!  The incision itself was not much to look at.  I am glad it was hidden.  Good luck on your journey.

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

geekmama

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:25:55 am »
Thanks,

I have the same doctors.  Surgery is next week.  I can't wait to start recovery since I'm incapacitated now and I'll at least have a chance of getting better once the tumor's out of my head.
Aileen
Surgery 4/23/2010