Author Topic: Pittsburgh  (Read 4996 times)

nanramone

Pittsburgh
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:22 am »
Hi all -

Well, Pittsburgh just called and said they reviewed my records last night. They believe I am an excellent candidate for Gamma Knife. So that is the second opinion that I should not have surgery. I may not be going to NYU after all, but might still seek an opinion from Dr. Galfinos, just to feel good about whatever I decide to do. My records in Pittsburgh will be turned over to Dr Lunsford now, and they'll be back in touch with me soon. I'm still going to New York in May, so will probably plan to schedule whatever I decide to do in June...

This does get easier each day..thanks so much for providing this forum.

Nancy

sunfish

Re: Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:58 am »
Univ. Pittsburgh Medical Center?  They are world class.  I had thoracic outlet syndrome ten years ago, and a vascular surgeon there did surgery for it (removed a couple ribs).  UPMC Shadyside Hospital.  I thought the treatment at the hospital was a little sketchy (nursing shortage), but the surgery was top-notch, and proved highly successful in the long run.   I would definitely have let the folks there do GK for my AN if I hadn't had another option here.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

nanramone

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:54 am »
Yes - and I was also considering Dr. Golfinos, but just talked to his office and found out he no longer accepts CIGNA insurance, so that is no longer and option.

However, the doctor's in Pittsburgh are in my network. I think the signs are all there that this is the best place for me to go.

Wow - this is mentally taxing!

bye for now~

Nancy

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »
My father went to Pittsburg for an AVM and they did a fantastic job.  I also consulted with the Dr. who did my father's GK, but chose surgery instead.  Its hard when you have surgeons who like to cut and GKer's who like the radiation methods...they each talk conflicting stories, which is why this is the hardest part for many ANer's.  Good luck with yours, go with your gut! 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:20:04 pm »
Nancy ~

Yes, it looks as if radiation in Pittsburgh is likely in your immediate future.  Thanks for keeping us appraised of your situation.  You'll have our full support in whatever you decide. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »
Nancy's going to Pittsburgh, Nancy's going to Pittsburgh...  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nanramone

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:13:25 am »
YES! Dr. Lunsford just sent a second email this morning after having a chance to review my records yesterday - he said I am an excellent candidate for gamma Knife! So I'll talk to my daughter today about meeting me in Pittsburgh.

This now feels so different - it feels like I'm going in to have an outpatient procedure for what is "a benign growth on the hearing nerve" (thanks to Jim from a different thread), where as before I was feeling so afraid...It really has become easier to deal with this!

Our emotions can really make things difficult for us - I'm grateful for this forum.

Nancy

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:22 am »
Congrats on your decision....very exciting!  ;D
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

DHJ

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:03:29 pm »
Good luck Nancy. I like the outpatient treatment approach.Might try that myself.    Best wishes dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear