Author Topic: 2 year anniversary  (Read 7223 times)

LisaP

2 year anniversary
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:21:01 am »
Hi,

March 31st is the two year anniversary since my life changed forever and I was dx with a AN.  Can't believe how fast time goes by.  On the brighter note, April 4th will be two years that I have quit smoking ;D.  I will say that this AN has changed my life, it has brought me to this forum, I have met new friends, meet with other AN'ers, twice a year at a luncheon and have started a support group.  On the negative side, my AN effects my every day life, still W&W, next MRI is in Oct of this year.  I have daily symptoms, for example I had such a bad headache yesterday with right sided head and ear pain that I had to go to bed early,  but I am still able to work, drive and have the support of my wonderful family.

Just wanted to share!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Mickey

Re: 2 year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:46:52 am »
Hi Lisa! Glad to see that your doing ok. Your tumor is the same size as mine and Iv`e bee W+W going  into my 3rd year and actually stable and feeling better. Over the last few days I have been posting what I believe has made a great difference in my life. Taking an active roll in your health may be an important idea in your future no matter what decision your making. Please look back over the posts see what you think. I`m hoping this may help you going fowards. Best Wishes, Mickey

AIteach

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:23 am »
Hello Lisa,
It's always nice to make the acquaintence of another W&Wer.  I am a newbie having just been diagnosed in February this year.  I also have symptoms that are with me regularly if not dailly.  (hearing loss and fullness on my AN side, intermittant vertigo with nausea, and occasional headaches)  I'll be getting another MRI this summer.  Most days I'm okay with my wait and watch decision but, occasionally I get anxious to just take care of it before it becomes worse.  I guess the most important choice I need to make right now is to get myself in healthier shape so I can face whatever comes, better.  Congratulations on your 2 year Smoke-free Anniversary.  That's a wonderful move in the right direction.   :D  I agree with you, this is a great site, and a wonderful group of people we have for support.  When your symptoms get you down, give yourself a hug from us and hear us telling you to take care of yourself.  I find popping on here gives me the strength and support I need to keep going.

Lauren

diagnosed Feb. 2010
wait and watch
tumor: 6mm
Fall 2018 still W&W 8mm
August 2021 grew to 1.2cm
8/21 Treatment: Fractionated SRS

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:33:37 pm »
2 years is great! Gee, I thought I was a big shot after my 6 mo. MRI  :D It makes me feel encouraged to know that others deal with their symptoms too and somehow we make it through. I too sometimes doubt my decision, but for the most part I think it's a good one. I pray for all of us everyday.
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 03:13:52 pm »
Hi, Lisa ~

Thanks for your post recognizing the 2-year anniversary of your initial AN diagnosis.  Of course, I think your 2-year anniversary of quitting smoking is equally important so thanks for mentioning that, too.  As a former smoker (I quit back in 1989 and have never regretted it) I realize what a major accomplishment quitting smoking can be.   Kudos to you!

I'm sorry you still have struggles with your symptoms but I thank you for your kind words regarding our members.  I'll look forward to seeing you at the ANA N.E. Discussion Forums brunch at Maxwell's Toolhouse in Worcester, MA in just about 2 weeks (April 18th).  I often miss seeing everyone I would like to see there because I'm an inveterate talker and the time flies by.  So, be sure to seek me out, if you have time.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:00 pm »
Hi,

thanks for all of the responses,  Jim I saw your journey in the newletter, great story too and look forward to seeing you at the luncheon.  I continue to W&W, I am researching radiation also due to I still do not know what to do.

Questions for Jim:  lately I have been experiencing ear pain on my left ear along with ear ringing.  This is new probably about a month.  My tumor is on the right.  Is it normal to experience symptoms on the non tumor side?

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »
Questions for Jim:  lately I have been experiencing ear pain on my left ear along with ear ringing.  This is new probably about a month.  My tumor is on the right.  Is it normal to experience symptoms on the non tumor side?

Yes, it happens, although I wouldn't consider it 'normal''.  I'm almost 4 years post-op/radiation and occasionally have a bit of ear pain on my 'good' ear.  It never lasts - so I don't worry about it.  You might want to mention it to your doctor and make sure at your next MRI consult, he takes a good look at your non-AN side, just as a precaution.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.   I try not to panic when some "new" symptom happens.  I do know that this "AN" does weigh heavily on me sometimes.  I try not to get down and when I do I go on the forum.   I continue to try to do a lot of reading, even tho it is not easy to read the material, I know that it is important.  For those who are still W&W, I continue to pray for all of us.  This journey is not easy for any of us.

thanks again,

LisaP ;D
LisaP

Keeping Up

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 05:41:51 pm »
Congratulations Lisa

I follow along all the W&W, I am just over 7 months behind you diagnosis wise.  Sorry to hear you have symptoms which cause you issues every day.  I have been so blessed to have no debilitating symptoms that I typically forget I have a tumor - and I know I am so very very lucky.  (On that note, I am back after a bit of hiatus because my hearing loss is creating issues for me now.)

I do hope you get several more years out of this W&W.  I remain optimisitic I am here for the long run with no treatment and hope many in this group will be able to walk a similar path.

In particular, congratulations on the no smoking for two years.  Amazing accomplishment!

Cheers, and hopes for another two years!!!!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 06:37:23 pm »
Lisa,
Time sure flies and I know how hard it is to w & w with the symptoms we experience, you are not alone but is the cure worse than what we are going through.........not sure.  I am getting worse started this new thing I call brain surges they are so bothersome I am close to going to the ER but will wait for my yearly MRI next week....the 12th, if its not the AN then I will have to figure out what it is....
Anyway didn't mean to ramble.  Glad you are two years without smoking that is so wonderful, what a gift to give to yourself and the people that love you.
I really can't say happy anniversay but I applaud you facing your challenges these past two years.  I will miss you all at Maxwells next week.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

mk

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »

Hi Lisa

Congratulations for making it to 2 years W&W. I am sorry that you still have issues, but this could happen even if you had treatment. Since you haven't had any significant growth in the past 2 years, hopefully you won't get any for the years to come.  I hope that this will be true for the rest of the W&Wers too.

Best wishes
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:06 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Congratulations. The W  & W process is not easy specially with symptoms. I can totally relate as I have days just as you have described, but overall can't complain. Great news that you quit smoking. I guess it's true that with every negative, comes a positive. We have to make the best of it. I have passed my one year anniversary on W & W but I have an upcoming MRI in May 2010. We will see!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

LisaP

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:16 am »
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and yes having treatment things could be better or worse who knows.  I do plan on W&W for as long as I can, I guess sometimes this AN just can get me down.  Thank goodness for this forum.

LisaP ;D
LisaP