Author Topic: Staying in the Watch and Wait....  (Read 3817 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Staying in the Watch and Wait....
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:03:11 am »
I had my MRI but it was inconclusive.  Doc said it was like trying to compare oranges to apples.  Different hospital, different machine, different neck positioning.  So he has scheduled another MRI for 6 mons from now to have a better comparison with his.
In the meantime, my vocal cord scope came out A+  ;D
Doc is a cyberknife advocate as well as a surgeon.  He has said my tumour is too big to operate on without causing problems.  The size a year ago was 5.6 cm X 4 cm.  I do totally trust his decisions.
He is not really rushing to use any cyberknife on me either.  Says that there have only been a handful of patients that have had C.K. on a Vagal Schwannoma (10th cranial nerve) so the outcome of the radiation in years to come is not known.  He also said because of the size of my tumour that the possible swelling at the onset may cause nerve damage to the 9-12 cranial nerves as the tumour is pressing against them in the Jugular Foramen. 
I am not sure what I am watching and waiting for now.  Just pretty much self destruction I think.... I'm ok with it tho, I have no choice. 
There is nothing else I can do at this point but to appreciate what I have going for me now    :)
Thanks all for your continued support!!!! 
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

Mickey

Re: Staying in the Watch and Wait....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:35:16 am »
Hi petgroomer! Here`s hoping that your condition improves and your symptoms stay minimal. I`m a fellow W+W in your corner. Youv`e probably read my posts on how I`m tackleing my condition naturally. Who`s to say what we have can`t get better naturally? In any case whatever your choice I`m sure its better to be in tip top condition. Prayers and best wishes, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:32:44 pm »
Hi, Rhonda ~

As one (of many) who has followed your journey as you faced and eventually surmounted a host of obstacles I'm a bit dismayed to read that your latest MRI was 'inconclusive'.  The opinion your doctor gave you seems a bit disappointing but as you stated, you don't have much choice but to 'watch-and-wait'.  Occasionally, these benign tumors do shrink, spontaneously, and of course, I hope and pray that will be the case with yours.  Your attitude of positive resignation is probably about the best you can do under the circumstances but I certainly hope that you'll have better options in the future, as technology evolves and innovative procedures to operate on these kinds of tumors are introduced.  Please stay active on the forums because we appreciate your input and we care about you.  Thanks. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:02:59 pm »
Sorry your'e MRI was inconclusive and your options are limited, you sound like you have a great attitude and being around dogs is great therapy.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »
Hi - we've talked before and I have closely been following your progress as I, too, have a vagal schwannoma but of the 9th cranial nerve.  I have been on W&W for 8-1/2 years with only a 4 or 5 mm increase in that time.  I am so sorry that things are "inconclusive" for you but glad that you trust your doc - that's quite important. 

Have any of your docs talked about "debulking" the tumor first through surgery (making it smaller without causing problems) and then treat it with radiosurgery (Cyberknife, etc.)?

Try to live one day at a time - live in the moment and, as you mention, enjoy what you have now.  As someone told me once, you can worry all you want about this tumor but you could also go out and get hit by a car.

Keep us posted,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
Well, Rhonda, at least it is an update. :)

Your doctor sounds thoughtful, which is a good sign. It is a difficult situation, and taking care is the right way to proceed. It is great that your vocal chord scope came out well, a piece of good news is most welcome.

I hope you manage to stay chipper, and I hope for the best possible results on your next MRI. Even if you do have to get a treatment that carries risk, remember it is only a chance of complications, and there is also a chance that it will work out fine, too.

Please take care, and don't go packing up your dogs and trying to drive to Argentina or something.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LisaP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:25 am »
Hi fellow W&W

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  As a fellow W&W it is hard at times to go thru this journey.  There are days when I would love to get this whole thing over with, but I have heard and read that even with treatment this journey is usually not over just starting again with sometimes other issues.  Hang in there and keep posting.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W