Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 2413 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:32:09 pm »
The processor and implant conduct sound to the skull, which transfers sound to the cochlea. In translab, the hearing nerve is severed. What conducts the cochlea to the brain?

tenai98

Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »
James
the sound is transfered to the good ear....The BAHA doesnt work off the bad ear...
Joann
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:09:37 pm »
So you really don't get stereo type hearing, but you can tell the difference between what the BAHA sounds like vs your good ear? My bad side is the right. I might hear sound in the BAHA from my right side, hear it in the left ear, but know it is the BAHA?

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:13:22 pm »
Joann's correct..  The processor and implant transfer the sound to your skull which by way of bone conduction of the sound waves it travels over to the cochlea of your good side...  So, you "hear" that sound on the opposite side of where the processor picks it up...

In theory, your brain will be able to tell the difference between BAHA "sound" and live "sound"...  So, your brain will just have to learn that that type of sound is actually from the other side vs which side the sound is coming from to the brain... If that makes sense.

In theory, though, your brain will adapt to these changes...  The main thing is that you can now pick up sounds from that side, whereas now you can't.  You may or may not get a "directionality" sense from that based on the type of sound you "hear".. If that makes any sense at all..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
What I've done when I had my demo BAHA (get my very own on april 12), is I would plug up my good ear so my brain could listen to the BAHA sound...then I would unplug good ear and see if I could tell the difference...There were a couple of times I knew that the sound was coming from the BAHA...its weird but it works.
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7