Author Topic: 2 weeks home, four weeks post op  (Read 3043 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
2 weeks home, four weeks post op
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »
I celebrated today by walking a mile walking through the neighborhood.

It has been good to be at home, just hard to adjust to being so limited. Double-vision  is still bad, but improving. The inability to really  taste foods. The wonkiness and all that goes with it. The extreme dry mouth, which makes eating difficult. Plus I have had an upper respiratory infection has had its own challenges.

It is all good though, eventually it will all mostly pass and I still have time at home and in another week I may be ready to start active teleworking a couple hours of day.

My sister sent me photos of myself in ICU. It was difficult to look at them, but they served to point out just how far I have come these past weeks.

It is a good day.
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 weeks home, four weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »
Tod ~

Thanks for the update.  Although you're not done with some of the common post-op deficits, you seem to be recovering at a good pace.  Your positive attitude is commendable and will make your recuperation much easier, I can assure you. 

I believe that, for the most part, we decide whether it's a 'good day' - or not.  I'm pleased to see you've chosen to remain in the affirmative. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:53:03 am »
Hey, you are upright, walking around AND you are able to use a computer....all good things in my book!! It is true, little baby steps are indeed good steps so don't push it!  You just had brain surgery, so you got a very very good excuse.  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:29:47 am »
Tod,

You have come very far, and you will go farther!  I know the recovery from an AN is slow and sometimes difficult, but keep the faith.  At 4 weeks I was still very woozy and dizzy and tired.  I am 3+ months past my surgery and I feel much, much better. 

Congratulations on your hard work and good luck moving forward.  The worst is behind you.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:38 am »
Hi Tod:  oh boy,  do you bring back memories.  As everyone has said, you will feel better as time goes by.  You're doing great walking 1 mile already. 
You might want to try Biotene gum & mouthwash for the dry mouth - helps to fight bacteria build up + I use Listerine strips & drink lots of water (make sure you use the Listerine strip AFTER you drink water, otherwise it can get stuch to your lips, palate, etc (done that too many times !).
Remember,  you are only 1 month after brain surgery - continue to rest often, walk & eat healthy.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:33 am »
Dear Tod,
You've come a long way from those days in the hospital just out from that 32 hour monstrous surgery.  You're a positive trooper and we're all impressed and proud of you.  You're really strong to be doing a mile already!   Keep up the good work and keep drinking lots of water!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:23:10 pm »
Thanks everyone. I do feel good about my progress and it is usually easy to be very positive. Not always, but those moments tend to pass quickly enough...as long as I choose to make them pass.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:43:14 am »
Hey Tod! :)  The glass is 1/2 full, I believe you know my mantra "day by day, inch by inch....."... and wow, you are just doing great. Remember that "not so good" days are certainly allowed but also remember, that sooner than later, may the good outweigh the "not so good". Hang in there... major congrats and continued wellness wishes your way!  Well done! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:50 am »
Tod,
You continue to do VERY well, for all you went through. That's all you can do it just keeping going one step forward. It just takes a while for the body/brain to settle after your   surgery.
Just the fact that you were under anesthesia for "forever", you have to take that into account also. I THINK I remember reading that it it takes one day for every hour of surgery for your anesthesia to wear off, so you are still burning off your anesthesia! :o
Expect to feel better, there is still a lot going on.
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty