Author Topic: GK yesterday  (Read 2266 times)

SHunter59

GK yesterday
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »
Hi all, well hubby had his Gamma Knife yesterday and I can't say enough good things about it. It was a piece of cake from start to finish, the doctors, nurses and staff at the Gamma Knife Center of Portland were fantastic. We were only in the place about 3 hours from start to finish, hubby declined the relaxing medication, he said he didn't want to feel drunk all day and wasn't anxious about the treatment, he just wanted it over with, LOL...Since they didn't have to wait for the meds to take affect we were only in there about 1/2 hour when Dr. McMenomy came iin to fit the frame. He didn't ask me to leave but when he started opening syringes I decided it was about time to scurry away, while not squeamish I really didn't want to watch so I went back to the waiting room until he was done with everything and hubby had been for his MRI. His actual time in the Gamma Knife machine was an hour and Dr. Bader had said that his tumor was a good size for the planning, which didn't take them long to do. Hubby is doing fine today and aside from a slight headache and two little spots on his forehead(our daughter has zits bigger) you wouldn't know anything had happened. There were two other patients of Dr. McMenomy's getting treatment yesterday also, both Acoustic Neuroma patients, must have been AN day at the Gamme Knife Center, LOL...Since everything went so smoothly I HIGHLY recommend this avenue of treatment to anyone out there who still may have concerns. Hubby feels exactly the same way, he had some dental surgery a few months ago and said that was harder by far. Again, thanks everyone for your help and support, I guess hubby can be called a Postie now :)
Left AN 1.7 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm diagnosed 1/19/10, SSD left ear
GK 3/11/10 performed by Dr. McMenomy of OHSU and Dr. Bader of the Gamma Knife Center of Portland.

Sefra22

Re: GK yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »
Glad to hear all went well. :) I am happy with the decision I made to have GK.
Other than some soreness on the back of my head, I found the recovery to be very quick.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:20:29 am »
I guess hubby can be called a Postie now :)

well... actually... a "toastie" postie! :)  (toastie = radiated as in baked/cooked!) :)

well done! Congrats on hubby completing GK... and now, onward and upward to wellness. Please keep us updated how he does so others beginning their AN journeys can learn about this to help with their decision-making processes!

Again, congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:35:26 pm »
Congratulations! I bet he is glad that's over  ;D
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009