Author Topic: Adjusting to SSD  (Read 2818 times)

msswartz

Adjusting to SSD
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »
Hi all,

My CN8 (right side hearing and balance) nerve died and was severed during my surgery this past November.  I wasn't told that until I started really asking my doc what happend to about 2 1/2 months later.  I had been very wobbley and am stone deaf on the right except for the constant tinnitus which I have had since my late teens.

But I am making and am adjusting.  There has been some discussion about single sided stereo output earbuds on this forum before.  It is different than mono in that the sound is divided into right and left channels by the stereo player as normal and then recombined by the earpiece back into one earbud.  The result is a full and rich sound.  I only hear it with one ear but this is all I've got anyway.   I have a pair of Bose earbuds that I used to listen to music while on the train.  But since I only have one good audio input device now the right earbud just dangled down and was unused.  But when I was listening out of the left one I would only get one channel and the sound that came out of the right one was bothering others on the train.  So the single sided stereo earbud has been a great help.

And I got one that also has a thing on it that lets me have it double as a cell phone hands free mic.  Here is the link to it.

http://www.scansound.com/left-bud-mobile.htm

It helps me a lot.  But when my phone rings or someone calls my name.. I am still lost because I don't know what direction the sound is coming from.  That is somewhat embarassing and comical.

Michael

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:17:26 pm by msswartz »
Michael Swartz
"May the 'Swartz' be with you always"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Adjusting to SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »
Michael -

adjusting to SSD is definitely a challenge.  I never did adjust, which is why I opted for a BAHA.  My implant was 2 years ago tomorrow.

I've actually gotten a little directionality since wearing it and I'm hopeful the upgraded device I'll be getting soon will only help matters.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msswartz

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »
Hi,

You have a BAHA?  I just recieved a packet in the mail a few days ago and my wife and I watched the DVD together last night.  It looks very interesting.

Do you like it?  I wonder if Kaiser insurace covers it or something like it.

Michael

Michael Swartz
"May the 'Swartz' be with you always"

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:03 am »
Hi,

You have a BAHA?  I just recieved a packet in the mail a few days ago and my wife and I watched the DVD together last night.  It looks very interesting.

Do you like it?  I wonder if Kaiser insurace covers it or something like it.

Michael

I love my bilateral Baha!  There isn't a day that I won't go without it.  I've worn bone conductor hearing aid on a headband for 47 years and those days are over!  I don't ever want to see it again thanks to BAHA.  I love it.  You will not regret it if you get the surgery.  Hope your insurance will cover it and good luck!  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:43:53 am »
Michael -

I do have a BAHA.  Had the implant surgery 9 months after my AN surgery - had to wait a while for my insurance company to approve it, or I would have gotten one sooner.

IMO, the BAHA is amazing and I couldn't live without it.

I have loved it from the day I tried the demo in my neurotologist's office.

There is a lot of information on the Cochlear website - as well as a Forum similar to this one called the Cochlear Community.  You'll find me - and a few others from this site there.

Check it out,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways