Author Topic: Mystery Diagnosis cable show will show a story about an AN patient  (Read 16669 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Mystery Diagnosis cable show will show a story about an AN patient
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »
That's an excellent question, Kaybo. There are podcasts available for download at http://health.discovery.com/fansites/mystery-diagnosis/podcasts.html -- I guess we'll havve to check back and see when the new ones are posted.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:00:44 am »
Just my opinion, but I was disappointed by the show.

While they mentioned neuroma and brain surgery, there was no mention of acoustic neuroma  - which I guess was what I was expecting :(

I also had hoped they'd talk about the treatment options available to those with ANs - radiation vs surgery.  Maybe I didn't read the "blurb" about the show well enough.

I found the other story - about the woman with the black legs - to be more interesting.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 07:07:29 am »
I have to agree with Jan. I found the show disappointing.  It really wasnt all that informative. I'm glad my 71 yr old mother didnt watch as I believe itwould have made her upset...It took me several days to convince her 'my tumor' wasnt going to kill me like my step dads cancerous brain tumor.
the story on the other woman was much more interesting. Just my opinion
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 07:51:27 am »
I was VERY disappointed...I ran here and no one had posted yet so I waited until this morning.  I figured that others would pretty much be let down like I was.  I do feel sorry for that girl and she certainly got the bum wrap with the body part (being numb) but I have NEVER heard of that & certainly don't want to scare people that do have an AN!!!

K   :-\
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 08:26:16 am »
I was disappointed too!  But not in the show that I haven't seen yet - in the fact that I get 5 bazillion channels and not one of them is the Discovery Health Channel!   >:(

Guess I'll watch it on the computer.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:31 am »
Lori .....

Not to worry .....  as with the others, I was very disappointed.  This case was not a "typical" AN case and no mention was made of acoustic neuroma.  The Teresa featured certainly had a rough road, but I would not have billed that show as a show about acoustic neuromas.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:37 am »
I agree,
The segment was disappointing. Liked the black leg much more.
Ok so a pregnant woman is having numbness and tingling down her left side of her body. She is pregnant, BUT don't you think they would rule out stroke? They mentioned MRI's aren't done on pregnant woman.  ???

Secondly, it turned out to be a trigeminal neuroma (5th cranial nerve), so it was not an AN. They did have to cut the hearing nerve to get the tumor. She is deaf and having the numbness to the face and I think tingling on her left side continues. At least it didn't mention post op headaches!

Our problem is we know too much!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:48 am »
I guess it's usually the reruns that I catch on TLC, so I guess I'll have to wait for that.  Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Moe, they should have asked us all to be assistant producers!  I'll bet we would have done it right!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
Hi all

Saw the segment as well. Regardless of what I think, I have to commend Theresa for sharing her very difficult situation for national tv.  Her struggles were tough.. and remain tough.. and I commend her for sharing her story as she did. Regardless if AN or not, as you can see, we all have taken extreme interest in our "AN Family" and have been looking forward to seeing national attention for the "journey" we endure. 

we share in blogs, we share in YouTube (yeah, me....), we share here with an international contingency of AN'ers..... and as many of you noted, heck... you don't even get the cable channel it was shown. So, we still have the strong hold on getting the word out about AN's.  "Strength in numbers" certainly exists here... and we continue to do what it takes to help those out there that don't know about AN's to recognize, aid and support our AN community :)  At last year's symposium... heck, Chicago's Mayor even noted that it was "Acoustic Neuroma Weekend" proclamation!  I'll take that as well!

so, to Theresa... well done!  And may she experience continued wellness! :)

And for us here..... we forge forward to get the message out that we exist, we will not be ignored, we are here to shine on... and most of all...... we rawk! :)

I had coffee... hit me later! :)

Thanks all for hearing me out!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »
Even though I haven't seen it yet, I agree Phyl.. Theresa deserves a ton of credit.  She has no control over how the producers choose to put the final product out there.  I'm sure they edit the heck out of things to make it more appealing to a larger crowd.  And we all know that we AN-ers are truly unique!

Jeopardy!, Mystery Diagnosis....baby steps.  We'll be front page news before too long!

Lori

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 02:25:07 pm »
I didn't see the program in question but apparently it was not a 'true' acoustic neuroma case with the kind of information we deal with on these forums every day making it a bit of a disappointment for many.  Too bad.  Based on the comments made about the show, I won't make an effort to see it.

Phyl has a valid point regarding the fact that while any kind of national publicity for acoustic neuroma is welcome, the woman featured in the segment was suffering with a trigeminal neuroma, not an AN.  However, the fact remains that she was certainly brave to allow her case to be filmed and broadcast.  I hope she fully recovers.   

In light of the poor 'reviews' this segment has received here, one is moved to pose the rhetorical question: why didn't the producers use an actual AN patient?  The answer is most likely because ANs are only ubiquitous on this website/forums but relatively rare in the 'outside' world.  To those of us that spend any time on the ANA discussion forums, it may seem as if 'everyone we know' has an acoustic neuroma.  The reality is: not really.  I lived for over 60 years without ever hearing the words 'acoustic neuroma' and most of us were strangers to the fact that these benign tumors existed, right up until a doctor gave us the news (via the phone, for me).

Still, although the 'Mystery Diagnosis' segment - supposedly about a woman with an acoustic neuroma - was a disappointment and seems to have been somewhat hyped, I concur with Lori that sooner or later ANs will receive more publicity, hopefully making more research funds available and helping to educate the public on these small, benign but problematically located tumors that can permanently  affect the lives of those of us who have had to deal with them.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 02:51:13 pm »
I did watch it and add me to the list of the disappointed.  I commend Theresa for sharing as much as she did.  Specifically, I was bummed that Acoustic Neuroma wasn't mentioned as that was what it was billed as, but in reality it was a Trigemeral Neuroma, which is slightly different.

I found the black leg lady story to be much more interesting possibly because much of the information on Theresa wasn't really new to me..

The struggle to get the word out goes on..  As with many here I'm sure, I struggle with the daily chore of not "looking" like anything was ever wrong.  In many respects I'm thankful that I don't, however there's a small piece of me that wants people to know WHY I can't hear as well as they do, WHY a seemingly simple task of going hiking can be an internal adventure, or WHY going to the dentist and having to hold your mouth open for what seems like hours is such a draining exercise (as I did today)..

I digress..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:24 pm »
In light of the poor 'reviews' this segment has received here, one is moved to pose the rhetorical question: why didn't the producers use an actual AN patient? 

To help answer Jim's question.... the ANA was asked by the producers for AN patients that were interested in participating.  The rally call came from the ANA, looking for AN'ers willing to participate.  Many, along with myself, responded, noting our unique situations.  The producers chose from a selection of those that noted an interest in participating.  Thus, the producers chose what they felt would be good to broadcast, based on info shared with them by those that stepped up, noting an interest to participate. 

Teresa's situation is most definately unique and what we "define" as an AN would come into question, yet, the fact is... Teresa has won her "neuroma" challenge, pursues and participates in the AN realm (fyi, she is also an ANA support group leader in TX) and for me, I commend for what she has shared.

Hope that helps with answer.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Desilu

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »
I didn't get to watch the show because I don't get that channel with basic cable (I know I live in the stone age) Anyway, Phyl, I think you gave us a great summary of the show along with Jim and the others. Maybe one day we will be able to tell "the rest of the story" (Paul Harvey, Good Day!). Thanks for the information. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Keri

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »
darn, i thought it was tonight so i missed it to. tonight's episode was 'i didn't know i was pregnant.'
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!