Author Topic: I'm Doing Cyberknife!!  (Read 11490 times)

sunfish

Re: I'm Doing Cyberknife!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:04 pm »
Oops! Good advice too late.  I've eaten have the fridge already.  Now back to bed for me.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »
steroids = overeating and insomnia! :)  I had the best cleaned fridge at 3am my week of CK! :)  sunfish, you are well on the road now to becoming a "toastie postie" :)  Hang in there... and btw, did you see the "eye"? ;)

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:32:56 am »
OK, here is a tip on steroids and insomnia that I figured out by chance. It is best to take them in the morning, as opposed to the evening.  That way you are an "energizer bunny" during the day, but can still get some descent sleep. I did this during my most recent round of steroids (only because I got the prescription filled early in the morning) and I avoided that nasty insomnia side effect.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:44 am »
now you tell us, Marianna!!!!!!  :o  :o Where were you when I needed this knowledge 4 yrs ago! :)

Thanks for the tip!  Sounds perfect to help the steroids cause!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sunfish

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 06:23:20 pm »
Day 2 of CK tx.  I stayed awake and watched the eye.  Very science fiction!

I'm not sure they're going to prescribe decadron past tomorrow.  So far, ativan holds off the insomnia.  Treatments have been no problem whatsoever - no headaches, vertigo, hearing is as good as ever.  The technicians tell me I'll be tired for a couple weeks.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - side effects, etc.  I'll keep this short, or I'll be arrested for typing while intoxicated!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010

sunfish

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:01:06 am »
Finished last CK treatment today.  I got to ring the bell at the cancer center as being a graduate.  Not nearly as hard a process as most of those poor souls there.  I'm a toastie postie!!  No headaches, vertigo, facial problems, hearing loss or anything so far.  Just tired from the meds.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:38:01 pm by Jim Scott »
Cyberknife March17, 2010

carter

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:47 am »
glad to hear that you are doing well.  learn to listen to yur body .... and give yourself permission to take a nap or what ever. 

i scheduled a half or full day off each week  (vacation) for a few weeks after treatment (3).   a week after treatment  - my wife went with me on a business trip.  slept on the plane to and from for a break. 

if you stay on the steroids for a few days ...  stock up on vegies, fruit, and Weight watcher snacks to fill the void and not to be too bad for you!

glad to hear that you stared the beast in the eye.

take care

carter

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Tumbleweed

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:34:35 am »
Congratulations on finishing your treatment, Sunfish! You're on the road to recovery!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:15 am »
sunfish... CONGRATS you "toastie postie"... sending the wellness wishes pixie dust your way to help make sure that the "brain booger" dies its fugly death! Well done! :)

Congrats to you! :)
Phyl

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:01:22 pm »
Sunfish ~

Let me add my congratulations on your successful Cyberkinfe treatment.  I'm glad things went so well.  Best wishes for a smooth and rapid recovery!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:45 am »
Hi, Sunfish....I, too, add my congratulations on the completion of your CK treatment.  My best wishes to you.  Glad you're on the forum!  It's truly "the place to be".

Barbara
Barbara

lalehjg

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 08:16:03 am »
Hi Sunfish.

Congrats on finishing your CK treatment!   :D  That is wonderful.  Mine is coming up, and I am scared, but reading your posts helps a lot.  Please keep posting on how you are doing!

Laleh
12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment

sunfish

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 08:02:31 am »
I'm super-pleased to report that I'm back at work for the second day after CK last week.  I slept through the night last night for the first time since Friday.  I felt 90% of normal yesterday.  I'm a government mid-level manager type, and all I had to do was dress nicely and sit in front of the TV for a national teleconference all day.  I didn't even have to speak!  Great first day back!  I'm a weekend warrior triathlete, and ran one mile around the block in my neighborhood last night after work.

For the most part, 5 days after my last CK treatment, the only significant symptoms I have left are at night - I think when I slow down/lay down/take off my hearing aid I notice stuff like increased tinnitus and pressure in my head/minor headache more.  I know that, with CK, symptoms can crop up for months due to swelling.  As near as I can tell, my hearing remains at pre-treatment levels, although I haven't had a new test since late September 2009.

I felt bad enough that I called the neurosurgeon's office on Monday morning, to ask for clarification of the post-treatment recommendations.  I talked with the nurse again on Tuesday morning.  She said they could have definitely tapered the decadron a teeny bit (they didn't) and that could have made me a little more comfortable (maybe yes, maybe no IMO).  But by Tuesday morning, I gave them the good news that I was pretty much on the upswing.

I could have done this without ativan (or other tranquilizer), but would recommend taking a little bit of something to help with the stress if you're at all nervous, and it was nice to basically "nap" through the process.  To me, the actual treatment was far less stressful than going to the dentist.  NOTE:  I strongly recommend NOT driving, etc. after taking ativan/tranquilizers until you know how they affect you.  My treatment center absolutely required me to have a driver to take me home.  One thing I would change is that I would definitely have someone stay with me for several hours afterward, rather than just having someone drive me home and drop me off.  I don't drink alcohol at all, and haven't for many years, and felt my judgement and decisionmaking abilities were somewhat impaired afterwards.  That is obviously just a personal preference, based on my own individual circumstances.

Everyone asks me, "So when will we know if it worked?"  My goal was to stop this bugger/knock it back a few steps for at least a decade, so I'm practically 100% certain my goal has been met, and that's not an issue for me.  Just waiting to see if/when any side effects develop.  I'll update every so often over the next few weeks/months.  I'm not scheduled to see the doctors again for about 3 weeks.
Cyberknife March17, 2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 03:12:48 pm »
Hi, Sunfish ~

Thanks for the comprehensive update and the positive news within.  As you know, stopping the growth of the tumor is the goal of the CK procedure.  Shrinkage is a bonus.  You probably won't receive a definitive assessment of whether the radiation 'worked' for a year or more because swelling often skews the immediate follow-up MRI scan results.  At least it did for me (I had FSR).

I trust you'll continue to do well and even if a few 'bumps in the road' occur, I'm sure you'll emerge in great shape - and with a 'dead' AN.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:04 am »
Sunfish, congrats on your smoothly sailing through treatment and your return to work.

I concur with Jim that you likely won't be able to gauge the success of your CK treatment for a year or more. But even if you develop side effects and your followup MRI shows swelling, don't worry! Pronounced side effects can indicate the tumor is reacting to the radiation faster than normal and dying more rapidly. My tumor swelled 33% in volume by the 5-month mark post-treatment. But in the following six-month period, it shrunk dramatically (a 59% reduction in volume)! Any side effects or swelling are not indications of treatment outcome and how you'll feel later in time. I feel much better now than I did before getting treated.

So rest assured you're on your way to recovery. Any bumps in the road are temporary.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08