Author Topic: Anyone have any thoughts on this  (Read 5323 times)

opp2

Anyone have any thoughts on this
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:43:21 pm »
Hi all,

I have been lurking a lot but not posting. Just hanging around waiting. Until today. I woke up with a headache this am. This is not unusual, however, no matter what meds I took today I still have this headache. And it's different from the rest. It's like I can feel the tumour pressing on my brain stem, and the ache is like an ache you might get when your foot goes to sleep. Only in my head. Right behind and under my left ear (tumour side)

I considered coming home early and going to bed, but I was out of town on business. I was thinking of going to the hospital, but it doesn't hurt that much...enough but not enough to drive me to hospital. If it is still there tomorrow I'll go.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? experienced this also? I took 2 tylenol at work at 6, an advil on the road to my meeting out of town at 9:30..two more tylenol when I got back at 4:30 and then two tylenol migraine when we got back from church...still aching away.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Anyone have any thoughts on this
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »
I would have it checked out ... especially if this is a new type of headache ..just different from those you have had before

I have had some wild headaches that have landed me flat on my back or sent me running to hospital ... some have been nothing to worry about and others have had causes that needed monitoring ...had some inter cranial swelling once ... steroids and pain killers and after a week or so was back to my normal headaches ... well if not normal , what has become normal for me

good luck
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »
Nikki ~

I'm sorry to learn of your recent, intense headaches and of course, I can't speculate on the cause with any degree of certainty but a few of of our members that suffered from headaches have eventually discovered that neck problems are the cause of their headaches - not an acoustic neuroma.  Unfortunately, the goal of finding the exact cause of headaches can be elusive and frustrating.  I hope that you can soon discover the reason for your headaches and eventually find relief.    

Jim
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:00:43 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:37 am »
Hi Lauren,

I just saw this thread.  Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.  That kind of pain/nonpain sounds kinda weird though.  Are you feeling any better now?  Did you call the Dr.?  Let us know.  ;)

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

opp2

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »
It's Nikki not Lauren silly kids ;D, and no I still have the headache. We shall see what tomorrow brings. I've stopped taking any headache meds since they aren't working at all..I don't feel too bad though, it's just this dull ache at the base of my skull. All the time.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »
Dear Nikki,
How are you doing with your headaches?  Are they any worse or better?  Have you put a call in to your doctor?
My headaches I think started after my surgery not before and I think have to do with being stretched out on the table for so long because they start from my neck and go on up to the back of my skull to the top of the back of my head.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »
Possibly try Ibuprofen like Motrin or Advil.  It is made up different than Tylenol and helps the best with inflammation or something that actually may be going on in your neck pushing on your skull.   Also, Aleve is to work better than Tylenol for that.   

This is just a thought and you could even try 4 ibuprofen at once to try to kick out the pain.   I'm only suggesting this because the pain sounds a lot like what I have encountered.  Also the 4 pills has been told by a few doctors (no more).

If it does end up being muscle related, you may need a muscle relaxant.   Also, I'd recommend putting a gel ice pack on the area for about 20 minutes......they do wonders!

Hope you are feeling better!!!
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

opp2

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:11:55 am »
Thank you all for your your good thoughts and your remedies.

The headache did finally go last Saturday after I went outside and played in the snow with my kids for a while. We built a snowman and hung out for about an hour. The sun was blazing (as much as it can for winter) and it was gorgeous outside! I felt so much better for the past three days, but woke up with a headache this am. I'll head over to the doc's today as I don't have to work until 11am.

You all are the best. Thanks

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:28 pm »
Always, always, always take your ibuprophen with a little food to protect your tummy.  I was gulping 4 at a time for a year after my surgery and ended up in the ER due to a severe irritation to the lining of my stomach.  I can't take ibuprohen or Aleve or any NSAIDS anymore and I have to take medication daily.  Graham crackers are usually pretty good.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW