Author Topic: University of Michigan Doctor - Steve Telian  (Read 20350 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: University of Michigan Doctor - Steve Telian
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
You might want to check out Dr. Daniel Pieper who I believe is working out of Beaumont in Royal Oak now. He did all three of my surgeries (2 micro, 1 gamma) and he's great.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 06:27:31 pm »
You might want to check out Dr. Daniel Pieper who I believe is working out of Beaumont in Royal Oak now. He did all three of my surgeries (2 micro, 1 gamma) and he's great.

Dr. Pieper is actually the Neurosurgeon who works with (I think all) the neurotologists from Michigan Ear Institute.     Although, people can see him alone too.  He does surgery and also can do gamma(radiation, right?).

He actually has an office in the Newer Providence Park Hospital area in Novi  (right above the office of some of the MEI doctors)......I LOVE the Providence Park in Novi!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:29:23 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11969.msg137875#msg137875

I hope it's o.k that I do this, but I posted this topic above for iluuvpups and sues1953  It is another person from Michgan with new diagnosis and has an appointment at U of M 3/12.

Sometimes helps having people in nearby areas, maybe going through things the same time.

REMINDER though:   all situations are different and all come out different!!

Best wishes to you all!!
Denise (from MI)  ;)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

sues1953

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:10 am »
Hi Denise, 

Thanks for your help with the site.  I don't think it was mentioned who they saw in MI for a diagnosis.  I will PM and ask.  They may have already been to MEI

Hey Scott...good to hear from you again.  You have shared your opinion with me on MEI.  I know you had many complications.  How are you doing now?  I a seeing Dr. Telian at U of M for a second opinion.  I pursued Skull Base Institute but looks like my insurance won't pay.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 09:55:43 am »
I'm doing well, thank you.

I hope you find the right Doc. I believe it's all about your comfort level. You have to trust who's going in your head!

Oh, and yes Denise, Dr. Pieper is a Neurosurgeon. I guess I misunderstood what you were after.

My Oto. was Dr. LaRouere who I absolutley love. I'm actually going back to Providence Park 3 times next week for an MRI, then appt with Pieper, then with LaRouere. This is just my checkup. HOPEFULLY!

iluuvpups

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:06 am »
Hi, Sue.  My appt is at 9:45 am.  What time is yours?  Maybe we can catch each other in the waiting room.  I can email a pic of what I look like to you.  You can reach me via email/PM.

(Hi all, FYI reminder only.... please share all personal internet email addresses behind the scenes (ie: via PM here) if you want. Thanks. Phyl)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:27:20 am by ppearl214 »
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

sues1953

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 06:01:49 am »
I hope all goes well for you next week Scott  :)

Sue in Michigan
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

iluuvpups

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 07:12:33 am »
Hi all.  I saw Dr. Telian yesterday. He was extremely personable and upbeat.  One of my concerns is that he seemed highly optimistic about the recovery period.  He said just a few days in the hospital and I would be back to normal activity in 3 weeks.  From what I've read on this board, and knowing that each case is different, that seems faster than what I've read people take to recover.

The other thing that concerned me was his mention of potential facial paralysis usually by accidental cutting of the facial nerve.  I guess doctors are human, but this didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:15:00 am by iluuvpups »
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:39 am »
Hi all.  I saw Dr. Telian yesterday. He was extremely personable and upbeat.  One of my concerns is that he seemed highly optimistic about the recovery period.  He said just a few days in the hospital and I would be back to normal activity in 3 weeks.  From what I've read on this board, and knowing that each case is different, that seems faster than what I've read people take to recover.

The other thing that concerned me was his mention of potential facial paralysis usually by accidental cutting of the facial nerve.  I guess doctors are human, but this didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

What surgical option did he recommend?   I'll be COMPLETELY honest.  I had a dr. tell me about 3 weeks and the 1st person I read on hear with tumor about my size, same surgery, same age.....was sounding good at 3 weeks.   I looked at that and thought "yeah, that's me".   Not!   BUT after speaking with them on the phone after my surgery I found out they didn't post everything.   So it wasn't as great as they made it sound.   Then at 2 months things started going off for them.       JUST NEVER KNOW!!    I just want to say I went in TOO overly Optimistic and it wasn't my surgery that went wrong, I also have some spine & neck issues that flared due to laying on table so long, etc.    Plus really thought I'd have my hearing too.   Maybe not being overly optimistic is bad, buteveryone is different with the outcome....no matter WHERE you go, etc.    For ex.  the person I mentioned earlie HAD to go to HEI, said they were almost 99% sure they could save hearing......NOT, now SSD also.   No one can guarantee anything.   These tumors all lay different, can be sticky, etc.     

When do you go to MEI??    I don't EVER want to sound negative here, but just letting people know there is no guarantee with any of this.   I'm glad you have been on the site leasearching it. 

As for facial issues, that Sally is affected by the size of the tumor and how much it is pushing on the facial nerve.   I got delayed facial paralysis, but it was due to swelling.   Put on a steroid and that helped.   

I will PM you my phone number in case you ever want to chat.

Best Wishes,
Denise (MI)

sues1953

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:52 am »
Hi all,

I saw Dr. Telian yesterday as well.  Hi Carol I'm so sorry that we didn't get to meet but it was great talking to you on the phone.  I will look forward to hearing about your appt. with Dr. Kartush on Monday.

I gave the Dr. a big hello from those of you who met him at the symposium  ;D

My husband and I thought Dr. Telian was optimistic as well, we liked him very much he spent an hour and a half with us.  I ask sooooo many questions that it became redundant because as Denise just said, everyone and every tumor is different and they just don't know exactly what they're dealing with until they get in there

I think I will start another thread on the opinion I got from Dr. Telian because it was so different from my opinion with LaRouere  ???.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:47 am »
I gave the Dr. a big hello from those of you who met him at the symposium  ;D

So, did he remember me and say nice things about me?  ;D

Glad the appt went well. Please keep the updates as I know, you are now weighing the opinions. Sue, just remember... even if the info overload gets to be too much....... your gut will help lead you..... and we're cheering you on! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 06:26:06 pm »
It's true.  I was told that I would be good to go at 6 weeks but before the surgery I read numbers varying from 6 to 8 weeks.  It's all individual.  Then they told me the risks so that I would be prepared for the facial paralysis which I didn't get but I did get the SSD in spite of the retrosig. surgery that is supposed to give you a better chance of that. I was unfortunate in that my 1 cm tumor was sticky and hard to remove.  It was bad luck. 

Don't take a doc. that is overly optimistic, but gives you the stats. and is supportive.   There are a lot of risks to this surgery.   Find the doc you feel the most comfortable with that has the most experience and go with that doc.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »

Well, if Dr. Telian remembered Phyl, he should have remembered me.  I stood next to him and Dr. Richard Wiet in the lunch buffet line  ;D

Did Dr. Telian tell you that most docs monitor the facial nerve with a machine during surgery?  This cuts down on the risk of damaging the facial nerve.  But as you say, doctors are human and there are no guarantees. 

As others have said, post op recovery is an individual thing; we're all different.  The usual time docs like to quote is 6 weeks, but it may be more or less depending on what they find when they actually go inside your head (MRIs only tell so much) and how fast or slow you recover (remember, it's NOT a race or a competition).

I was back to work (desk job) part-time 2 1/2 weeks post op and full-time 4 weeks.  But, I didn't drive for 6 weeks.  Others went back to work later and drove sooner.  It's all relative.

The good news is there IS life after AN surgery and lots of us have lived to tell the tale.

Good luck with your decision,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 07:24:17 am »
Hey Phyl...Of course he remembered you  :)  He thinks what you guys are doing for all of us "inflicted" with this condition is wonderful.  I have to say he did tell me I might want to lay off for awhile.  He thinks I might be getting information overload.  ::)

Sue

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:10 am »
I have to say he did tell me I might want to lay off for awhile.  He thinks I might be getting information overload.  ::)

No offense, but I agree.  Sometimes the information on the Forum and the treatment decision you are trying to make are very overwhelming.  Stepping back, taking a break, and then revisiting the situation can do wonders.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways