Author Topic: Cyber or Gamma knife for NF-2 tumors  (Read 5850 times)

hgtvqueen

Cyber or Gamma knife for NF-2 tumors
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:32 pm »
Has anyone used Cyber or Gammaknife to treat any of their NF-2 tumors?  Our physican recommends against it due to young age and the fact that "no one knows the long term effects."  What what your outcome?   

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Cyber or Gamma knife for NF-2 tumors
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »
Hi

I cannot answer to the NF2 portion of the question... but, I can assist with a terrific link from the CK forums ... by Dr. Medbery, re GK/CK and age

http://www.cyberknife.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=2528#jumptobottom

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:22 am »
Hi,
I'll share my family's experience. Please bear in mind that these are only personal experiences, not research-supported facts.

My brother (nf2) had radiation treatment on both tumors. Both grew susequent to treatment and required surgery. He also lost most of his hearing after treatment.

I hope that this helps.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

mk

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »
I was just reading a detailed review article today and from what I remember it stated that the success rates with radiation are significantly lower for NF2 patients.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.