Author Topic: BAHA "event" by Cochlear Americas  (Read 3946 times)

grega

BAHA "event" by Cochlear Americas
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »
Hi all,

News of a baha event in my area was sent to me by Cochlear Americas.  The website ... http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?eventid=787392 ... says the following:

"This event features Baha patients and prospective patients.  Discussions will focus on patient experiences with the decision to get the Baha, surgery and recovery and listening and living with the Baha.  We are pleased to offer this focus group at no charge.

On that webpage, click on "Register Now" to see a calendar of the places these events will be held.  Perhaps some will be able to attend and gain more info about baha.

Hopefully, no more blizzards for a while, allow me to attend this event.

Greg   :)

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA "event" by Cochlear Americas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:40:37 pm »
Greg -

from what I've heard, these BAHA "events" are well worth attending.

Let us know how it goes  ;D

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:47 pm »
Hi Greg,
I just saw this this minute and the Baltimore event which was the closest to me was on Monday which was coincidentally the same day that I was at Hopkins with my ENT Post Op follow up trying on the Intenso so I missed the Event.  If you hear of another will you repost it?   Did I miss any information that I didn't get at my appt on Monday?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:29 pm »
Mei Mei, I've seen a few posts from you in regards to BAHA.    Go right to the www.cochlearamericas.com  website and email them for as much info as they can and they should set you up with a rep in more your area.   They also gave me a few email addresses to contact people if I chose too.  Then today I got a nice package Fedex from them.   

I find it best to do my research and get as much info. and opinions as I can before hand, it helps.    (I missed the only events they had here in Michigan)
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
Cochlear also has a discussion Forum called the Cochlear Community http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/login/index.php

It's full of people who already have BAHAs and/or Cochlear Implants (CIs) plus many candidates who are thinking about it.  It's a free forum and the folks there are very friendly.  The community isn't exclusive to those who have lost their hearing because of an Acoustic Neuroma; some members lost their hearing in other ways.  A few of my fellow forumites are members of the Community - Mike Corso, Grega, Paul F, Kencutus, Lori - and so am I.

It's been a real education hanging out there and I've met some great people.  I just referred someone to my neurotologist for a CI and she'll be getting it in a few weeks.

The Community is not as easy to navigate as this forum is, but if you are persistent you eventually figure it out.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:16 am »
Hi Mei Mei .... Hopkins, huh?  Me too for AN surgery .... great place IMO.  In regards to your question ("Did I miss any information that I didn't get at my appt on Monday?") .... I just can't answer that .... but read on.

And hi to Jan and Denise. also.  Gee, don't you both wish you were in the mid-Atlantic where all the snow has been dumping lately!?!?!

Whoops, back to the subject at hand .... uhh .... make that ear   ::)

The Cochlear BAHA conference in Balto Monday night was very helpful, with at least 50 people in attendance, many of whom have BAHA (one month ago to 8 yrs ago)  ... some with SSD.  The presentation focused mainly on the BP100, as well as on upgrading from earlier models.  Reps from Cochlear mid-Atlantic out of Charlotte, NC, along with a couple of "audi's" from MD.  The company VP from headquarters was there, along with a local doc who does BAHA surgery ..... he gave an overview of the surgery process, and answered questions. 

Here are the basics about the processor that I gained .... the BP100 is an upgrade of the Divino, with not as much "power" as the Intenso.  But it does have lotta new variables compared to Divino and Intenso that might make it much more appealing to some .... including 12 channels (like adjusting graphic equalizers for getting just the right mix of music to your ear), 3 programs set for the user that are set using the 12 channels, directional mics, etc.  I'm really interested as I don't really need a whole lotta power in situations where I find myself.  But Cochlear said to make final decisions with the help of your audi. 

Hope this helps a bit ... and read again what Denise and Jan said .... all very helpful info.  Good luck with your decision-making.

.... and stay well!   Greg  ;D 

ps .... the Cochlear VP and Karin from Sweden alluded to similar upgrades for the Intenso, but were closed-mouth on timelines  :-X  .... oh well .... dream on.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

grega

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:31 am »
Hi again ..... in my post at 8:16 am today, I forgot one other important (to some) thing mentioned at the BAHA conference in Balto  .... help from Cochlear regarding insurance for the BAHA.  Well, actually, support for you in dealing with your insurance company.  If you have issues regarding insurance, ask about their OMS Insurance Support department ....stands for Otologic Management Service .... which is not stated on the shiny printed material that explains OMS.   ;D

Also, one can purchase a BP100 upgrade on their own, but it seems you need "a note from your doctor" .... the cost is under$4,000.

Later ..... Greg

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:28 am »
Thanks, Greg, Jan and Sandra for all this info.   Will check out the websites and join them.

Was that my doctor speaking on Monday night:  Dr. Niparko?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

grega

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:44:34 pm »
Hi again Mei Mei ..... no, not your doc.  It was Dr. Kaplan from GBMC (Greater Balto Med'l Ctr) in Towson.

And re the Cochear Community forum that Jan mentioned, Dee Dee Wright said Monday night ahat there are over 225 folks there that do have BAHAs.  So you should get quite a bit of info based on their experiences.

Good luck with the storm if you're in the mid-Atlantic or Northeast.

Greg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 08:04:18 am »
Also, one can purchase a BP100 upgrade on their own, but it seems you need "a note from your doctor" .... the cost is under$4,000.

Greg -

thanks for all the valuable information; sounds like the event was well worth attending.  I'm glad you made it.

All that you said about the BP100 is correct (12 channels, less power than the Intenso, etc). 

Current Divino users were offered an upgrade directly from Cochlear - back in November, I believe.  The price I was quoted was $2,700 or $2,750 - I forget which - plus whatever "fee" your doctor/audiologist charges to program it.  Some docs/audis charge a fee; some don't (mine doesn't).  All that was needed was your doctor's "okay" - in writing, naturally.

Jan