Author Topic: Headset for work  (Read 1930 times)

cinnamon

Headset for work
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:42:41 am »
I just seen my ENT the other day and was telling him that my neck has been hurting from multi tasking and holding the phone so much with my neck. He suggested I get a wireless headset for work. I answer phones a lot. I work in a dental practice. Anyways, has anyone else dealt with this problem. I most likely will have to buy the headset myself and take it with me if I quit. I am thinking some headsets are universal. I am also concerned about the headset being by my good hear and muffling sounds when listening to others when not on the phone. I currently do not have any device for my bad ear. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

lori67

Re: Headset for work
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:16:32 am »
According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, your employer is required to take any reasonable actions to accomodate you to allow you to do your job.  If you can have your doctor write a letter stating you need to get a headset in order to do your job, they will need to purchase one for you.  I'd say that's absolutely reasonable.  They should probably be doing it for everyone anyway to avoid everyone getting a stiff neck!   ;)

I haven't used one and I'd assume it might muffle the sounds coming from somewhere other than the phone, but I'm sure you could figure out a way to make it work for you.  I know when I use the bluetooth thing for my phone, I can still hear some sounds from around me.  It might be a matter of just moving the speaker away from your ear a bit when you're not actually on the phone.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Headset for work
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:24 am »
I'm surprised your ENT specifically said get a wireless headset..  I used to use a wireless headset before SSD and now I use a regular corded one..  I'm not on the phone all of the time, however I would think that with a wireless one you'd have to take it out a lot of the time as opposed to not necessarily with a corded one..

Btw, Plantronics makes really good corded and wireless headsets.  Their wireless will even sync (the bluetooth ones) to your cell AND to your office phone simultanenously so when you're away from the office, you can use it with your cell as a hands-free device (becoming more and more required when driving).

The cordless headsets can be fairly pricey (last checked, they were about $200) and I'm not sure a cordless one will help you multi-task much over a corded one.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager