Author Topic: Tinnitus!  (Read 3750 times)

Mickey

Tinnitus!
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:05 am »
Has anyone' tinnitus got completely better after treatment!  Mickey

tenai98

Re: Tinnitus!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:17:04 pm »
yes mine did...it went away complete and only occurs when I gaze right or left but not really enough to notice unless all is quietf
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Katiedee

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »
I was told the Tinnitus would "never go away".   I've gotten a number of conflicting reports about this.  It sounds like my head is under a waterfall and I find it terribly upsetting.  I had AN surgery 6 months ago and have had to endure this ever since.  Now my good ear is starting to ring.  It is odd to be completely deaf in the right ear but "hear" this roaring sound all day long.

You said has any one been helped by "treatment"  I was told there was "no treatment".  Is there something out there that helps!

Thanks
Katiedee

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:41 pm »
My tinnitus is present all the time & gets really loud when I get a headache. My BTE hearing aid helps calm the tinnitus most of the time. I've read (but never tried it myself) that herbs such as ephedra, eucalyptus, hyssop, mullein, and thyme help with tinnitus.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
I have been waiting and watching goin on 3 years now with everything stable. I hoping to stay that way but just wanted to look for more reason for treatment just in case I do have to intervine someday. I`ve had my tinnitus for 30 years now with the only relief coming with Neuromonics which actually made it more bareable. It`s a part of my being but sometimes a just wonder what it would be like to hear no noise like when I was younger. Thanks, Best wishes, Mickey

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:16:45 pm »
My tinnitus is always there both before and after the surgery.  It got louder after the surgery when I lost my hearing and became SSD.  It never goes away.  I have my Post Op visit on Feb 22 and will ask about it.  Will let you know what he says.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:38 pm »
Unfortunately, tinnitus is just a no win sort of conversation except for JO! Lots of threads on this.

Mine also is worse after surgery, because of the SSD, and I had it for many many years before the tumor was diagnosed.

Also my good ear rings, but there is no AN over there!

I take low dose xanax .5 mg extended release which helps to bring it from a scream to a high pitched squeal (kind of like EMS emergency broadcast sound).

It is truly the worst of all my symptoms - I will keep waiting for a cure and supporting ATA.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:08 am »
i too have had it for 6 months following surgery, hyperacusis also.  But, it DOES seem to be getting better...my surgeon seemed very surprised when I told him I had tinnitus and hyperacussis.  He said it will get better and it is...I also think that I'm adjusting to it.  Caffeine seems to be a big factor, which I have not given up but am aware of its affect...
The whole mess was driving me nuts at first, and when its really bad (usually when my stress levels are high), I take a partial xanax.

best of luck! melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:07:58 am »
Sorry, but I had the opposite experience.  I had no tinnitus and normal hearing in my AN ear before surgery.  I now have no hearing and mild tinnitus.  I am very lucky that my tinnitus is mild and really doesn't bother me.  I can ignore it most of the time.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

grega

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:02:51 am »
Hi Mickey ..... Lyn has the right idea: "I can ignore it most of the time."

That's what I try to do also. Mine is pretty loud on my deaf side since AN surgery 5+ yrs ago, but I try to ignore it also.  That helps the majority of the time, but it really becomes loud when I think about it ..... especially when reading AN forum posts on the subject.  Really.

Good luck trying to put it out of your mind .... pun not intended .... but then again .... intended.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"