Author Topic: BAHA Day #1  (Read 3707 times)

tenai98

BAHA Day #1
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:02 pm »
Well, as I expected it wasnt a big wow factor as I have been slowly going deaf for a peroid of several yr and compensated.  But it still was amazing when I plugged my good ear and could 'hear' from the left in my right ear...
Test number 1.....when i got back to my car, I turned on the radio and called from my cell phone...Wow, I could have a converstion and hear raido at same time...
Test number 2...At times, good ear becomes sensitive to noise, so I carry earplugs with me...so I plugged my good ear and listened to music driving home...yeaaaaaa!!
With my good ear, the radio volumne is set at 3. When ear waas plugged, I kept it at four..so for me, not bad
Test #3, I then opened window even thou it was -2c (34-36f), with good ear still plugged, I could hear radio...yes I had to turn up volume, one notch,
Test #4...Good ear still plugged, radio on, I went thru the local drive thru donut shop for a coffee...OMG...I heard the person loud and clear...It was amazing.
Here I sit with good ear unplugged, Baha on, and all is well.
The Baha I have is a test one sent home with me for two weeks...Its the Divino..In two weeks I get to test the Inteno, but its an old one.

JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: BAHA Day #1
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »
Jo,

Thanks for the update..  You know, I have struggled with whether I "needed" the BAHA or not..  I only tested it once (with the headband) where my surgeon let me demo his for a few hours.. I really could tell it was making a big difference for me..  The only time I could tell it was doing something was when I plugged up my good ear and I could still 'hear'.  It's updates like the one that you provided that gives me hope that there really are advantages to me getting a BAHA.  Now, if only my rich uncle would send me check to pay for it..  Have I mentioned that my Healthcare coverage stinks to the high heavens yet?

Thanks again!  Keep the updates coming!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »
Congratulations on your BAHA! I'm glad you had fun 'testing' it. I'm sure that even though you have had compensation since you slowly lost your hearing, the BAHA will make a difference in your day to day life. Enjoy!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »
Jo -

glad you're liking your BAHA.  I'm deaf-left and have found that my BAHA is a huge help @ the drive-thru (restaurants and banks).

I'm still wearing a Divino, but am anxious to get my BP100.  It's currently on back order  :(

Pooter -

did you see the topic I started on insurance coverage for Cochlear and BAHA implants?  It's a link to a new guide from Cochlear Americas and I put it under "Hearing Issues".   Perhaps it will help with your insurance coverage.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14:49 am »
Jan,

I did see that..  however, doing some quick math it became problematic for me..  Here's how I broke it down..

Let's say that they cover BAHA under our 'normal' agreement...(i.e. not hearing aids, which I've already confirmed they only cover $1,000 every 36 months for which makes the out of pocket astronomical).  Our 'normal' deal is $1,000 deductible and then 80% thereafter..  So, if the BAHA surgery is $40,000 plus the processor (another $5,000)..  That's a total price tag of $45,000.  Minus my deductible, $44,000..  Of which, they will only cover 80% (or $35,200).  So, my out of pocket expense would be $9,800.  While that's a pretty good bargain versus the regular price of $45,000, I simply cannot afford $10,000.

I've resigned myself to the fact that either a rich (unknown) uncle sending me a check to cover the expense, or I have to find a new job with better health coverage (before we went belly up, my old company had an HMO plan that would cover 'normally' at 100% with no deductible..  Heck, my $100,000 AN surgery and being in the hospital twice cost me about $2,000 out of pocket.  THAT was good coverage.  I don't have that luxury now..

Unless you know of some other resource, I simply cannot afford $10,000 for BAHA at this time..  This leaves alone any other debts that I've already accumulated that are tied to, albeit not directly, to my AN.. (e.g. lost wages, parking fees at the hospital for J to come see me, etc..)  Pardon the pun, but I'm all ears..  :)

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:43 pm »
OH my stars Brian, that is alot for a BAHA..WOW
As one knows we have, here in Canada, free health care for most situation...like a sex change is covered but not circumcision isnt..go figure.
As my hospital had a BAHA funding going on, sponsored by cochlear, the device itself cost me $1000.00...then because I am covered under the USA CHAMPVA system (late hubby was a vietnam war vet) they reinbursed me the $1000.00.  I was told the unit itself without the funding would cost from $5000.00 to 6,000.00
wowser to ur cost..unreal
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »
Jo,

Yeah, I was pretty saddened by the cost even with health insurance as well...  Interesting that sex changes are covered by your system but circumcision isn't..  Being a bit of a political junky, I'd be interested in the reasoning they used to get by with that..  But, that's another topic...

I'm quite certain that the unit without funding would be 5,000-6,000 bucks... and add on top of the the surgery fees (and all associated fees) for actually doing the implant of the abutment...  Without some sort of health insurance it would be next to impossible and for many (as in my case) even WITH it, it's next to impossible..

Anyone out there with a great medical plan need a new Director of IT or something similar?  I'm willing to move at my expense.. ;)  I love Texas, been here all my life, but I'm still willing to move if the job/benefits are right..  heh..  <insert self-supporting plug here>

Regards,
Brian

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »
Sex change isn't a popular medical procedure.  I ask my Dr that question years ago when OHIP delisted circumcision along with eye examination for adults over the age of 19.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:16:42 pm »
Brian -

Yikes!  I think I know you well enough to say your insurance coverage sucks (no offense) and I'm truly sorry for that  :(

You should contact Cochlear, just for the heck of it.  They may be able to offer suggestions other than insurance coverage.  There are a lot of resources on their website and perhaps there is one you could take advantage of.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:50 pm »
Brian,
I'm wondering the same thing about the BAHA. Even after a year post op my head is kind of sensitive, but I'd love to try a BAHA. But our health care ins has changed as well (for the worse) and so I'm wondering if it's worth it. But i haven't done the analysis that you have about the actual cost. Thanks, Jan, for that post. I'm going to have a follow up appt soon so I'll know more after that.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!