Author Topic: "Noisy Restaurants" article in Wall Street Journal !!!  (Read 2757 times)

JerseyGirl2

"Noisy Restaurants" article in Wall Street Journal !!!
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:17:21 am »
An article in today's (February 3, 2010) Wall Street Journal about the problems of noisy restaurants might be of interest to many of you. Here's the link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704022804575041060813407740.html

The title is "Pass the Salt ... and a Megaphone" and talks about the trend in cutting-edge restaurants to feature hardwood floors, high ceilings, wide open spaces, linen-free tables, etc. ... thus turning into "hard-surfaced echo chambers."

It includes a sidebar entitled "Dinner Without Yelling," with tips on finding a quieter dining experience. I think most of us who've been dealing with this problem will recognize these tips ... but a little review never hurts!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: "Noisy Restaurants" article in Wall Street Journal !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:58:07 am »
Great article, Catherine, I can sure relate to it.  Thanks for sharing!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: "Noisy Restaurants" article in Wall Street Journal !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »
Oh aren't those places awful!  Wanted a few birthdays back to go to this wonderful restaurant in Portland.  It was a great place for the menu and we enjoyed the food, but, Holy Cow!!  It was an echo chamber just like your are describing and not pleasant to visit or to enjoy the "ambiance" such as it was.  Horrible trend.  But, the noise, music and confusion make to people eating faster and getting the heck out of there, and then the restaurant can seat the next group who will eat fast and get the heck out of there.  It's all a plot.  If you are nice and comfy and relaxed and talking, the restaurant makes little money off of that, unless you are also drinking up a storm. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode