Author Topic: Minor setback - say hello to vertigo!  (Read 6918 times)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Minor setback - say hello to vertigo!
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:24 am »
Before my surgery in November I put together a "To do" list of things I needed to address after surgery.  I have addressed the easier items on the list and decided to ratchet things up a bit.  One item that looked pretty simple was "Replace faucet in kid's bathroom."  I had NO idea that working under a sink could cause so much trouble!

On Sunday afternoon I gathered my tools and got rolling.  The first few minutes of the repair went splendidly.  After about 4-5 minutes I noticed I was getting a bit dizzy, so I took a short break.  After a few minutes of sitting upright I went back under the sink and made it maybe two minutes before things started to spin.  I took another short break and decided to give it one more shot.  The third time was bad, very bad.  I experienced severe vertigo, so bad it made it difficult to get out from under the sink.  It was worse than anything I experienced in the hospital after surgery!  For the first time I thought I would be sick.  The rest of Sunday was pretty much shot, I was nauseous and felt worn out.  Monday and Tuesday were better, but I was still shaky and noticed I was more sensitive to head movements, quick turns, etc.  As of this morning I feel "back to normal" so I'm happy about that!

One question to the more experienced folks here - is the vertigo induced by being in an unusual position just a part of recovery or can I expect this to last forever?  I'm not complaining, I have been one lucky guy, I'm just curious if there will come a time where it is no longer an issue.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

mandy721

Re: Minor setback - say hello to vertigo!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:24 am »
Dennis,

I can't address your question about vertigo from an AN perspective, but hope this is a one time event.  A few years ago, I had a bout with vertigo that took several days to resolve. Until I experienced it, I had no idea how awful it is.  Thankfully it hasn't happened again.

Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

moe

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:09:01 am »
Hi Dennis,
Never had the vertigo, but then never tried anything like you did! (that's what husbands are for, which stinks for you because you ARE the husband ;) )

IMO, the vestibular system kind of got turned around and upside down from being under the sink lying flat on your back or your side,  and caused the vertigo.
Your body is basically telling you what it can't handle quite yet.
An example of how recovery can take a long time...You are still quite fresh post brain surgery in the big scheme of things. Up to the 12 month mark, I was noticing when my body would over do things and just couldn't do those things.

Sucks, I know, because you WANT or NEED to do those things. So hang in there, do what you can, it'll slowly get better. :)

Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cin605

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
I agree u are still early out....I find it best to just stop if i am doing something that is making me uncomfortable.
Even grocery shopping...i have walked in and looked around n knew that i would not be able to weeble through..never mind stand in line..get the groceries to car..drive home...Nope i say NO WAY>>>NOT TODAY!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:51 am »
Sorry to hear about your vertigo but you just had surgery and we have to remember this is going to take time to heal.. I know what help me alot was Vestibular Therapy the exercises was very helpful trains you to look side to side and up and down which helps you to focus and along with other balance related exercises. I saw the difference as the weeks went by.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Betsy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »
Hi Dennis,

So sorry you had vertigo, it's the worst.  There's something about being totally convined that you're tumbling through space and knowing at the same time that you can't possibly be tumbling through space that is SO disconcerting.  Vertigo was my main symptom pre-diagnosis, and it's been an off and on challenge since treatment.  Hate it.

To answer your question about vertigo being triggered by a certain position, the answer is yes.  At one time, my vertigo was triggered by rolling over in my sleep.  These days it's triggered when I bend over to shovel snow or dirt.  You'll want to talk to your doctor of course, because vertigo is a complicated symptom.  In the meantime, as soon as you think something is happening, try to get to a safe place to wait it out.  For me, "vertigo falls" are like being pulled down, and I'm more likely to get hurt.

If you're having other balance issues, Pat is right, Vestibular Therapy can work wonders, and after an initial session or two, it can be done at home.  Saves a co-payment, eh?

Good luck...I hope the vertigo was just a bump in the road of your recovery and that you never experience it again.

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:58 pm »
Hi, Dennis ~

Sorry to learn about the onset of vertigo while you were trying to perform a faucet replacement.  I haven't had this experience but, for what little it might be worth, in the years prior to my AN diagnosis, I would experience mild vertigo if I laid prone - facing up.  I had to caution my dentist that I could not be in a prone position while he worked on me.  I could lie face-down with no problem, but not face-up.  I always wondered why this happened but because it was easily avoidable, I never pursued it.  Flash forward to a few weeks post-op.  My wife casually asks if I still get vertigo when I lie flat.  I hadn't noticed so I immediately laid prone on the bed - looking straight up.  Voilà!!  No vertigo!  We quickly realized that the AN must have been the cause of my vertigo and now that it was debulked (at that point), the symptom disappeared.  I realize this doesn't relate to your experience, specifically, but thought it worth mentioning.   

Let's hope this vertigo attack is your last but should you suffer another vertigo attack, whatever triggers it, I would suggest you inform your doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I sure hope that this is just somthing that  just

takes time for your brain to adjust to.  I hope it is gone for good.

Wishing you the best.    Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:09:15 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I still get vertigo if I am laying flat or on my left side and roll quickly to my right side.  It has improved since surgery, but still occurs often enough that I now move s-l-o-w-l-y to my right or avoid it outright.  I think I may contact House and ask about vestibular rehab.

Jim - excellent point regarding dental work, I hadn't given that much thought.  I'm supposed to contact my dentist to schedule some work later this month, but I'm having second thoughts.  Its nothing urgent, so I may wait a bit longer and see how things go.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

another NY postie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 02:33:19 pm »
Dennis,
I have not had true vertigo (no spins) but I have had dizziness and nausea once I returned to work.  It is totally random and seems to have to do with the amount of noise and stimuli (weaving through hundreds of middle schoolers in the hallway - the gauntlet!)  I have to say it has gotten better since Jan. 4th.  This, too, threw me because I had just skiied the week before and was doing an incredible job with balance and no dizziness.  So what I have learned is that our brains are still re-wiring, and it gets thrown off sometimes, overloaded, or the cues it is looking for to right our balance are not there due to over stimulation for me and maybe you just being under the sink in the dark!  All of this is very subtle and I have learned this past month that healing is not in a straight line and what affects us can be very subtle.  I do believe it ALL has to do with the brain healing and re-wiring and sometimes it is just too much.  It has been so random for me that I am starting to keep a journal to see if I can peg what triggers it.  I know lack of sleep really sets me off on the wrong course the next day. Also skipping exercise - specifically being outside walking - seems to have adverse effects for me.  But I can go days with no problem and then hit some threshold and clip some walls again or feel wonky headed...hope this passes quickly for you!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:14:17 am »
Dennis:

Sorry to hear about the vertigo you experienced. I experienced vertigo two days after surgery when the PT took me up and down steps during PT exercises (at St. Vincent's). I am a year out from surgery and I can do everything I did before surgery without vertigo (even shovel snow and we had lots) :). I say this to say, I think it's just that you are doing too much too soon. I do believe you will get pass the vertigo. It will just take time. Remember you did have major surgery and it takes a long time for the brain to heal and recover.

Keep healing and take your time,
Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear