Author Topic: Ok, I have a date for surgery.  (Read 18467 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Ok, I have a date for surgery.
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:06:18 pm »

I have now met with the neurotolgist and neurosurgeon at VCU's Medical College of Virginia. I feel I am in good hands with both. The surgery is scheduled for Friday, Feb 12th and at this point the plan is both trans-lab and retro-sigmoid because of the size and location of the tumor.

I am much relieved to have surgery scheduled. I have had a rough week waiting for this. Now I can focus on getting things in order before hand.

It is a good day.
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Ok, I have a date for surgery.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:10:52 pm »
Tod ~  Congratulations on securing a surgery date and, most importantly, feeling confident with your decision.

I've added your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d12/02/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B  Feel free to add to it, if necessary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »
Congratulations, Tod.

Treatment decisions are tough to make, but I'm confident you made the right one for you.

I've never heard of someone having translab & retrosigmoid in the same surgery.  Are you able to elaborate a little on that?  I always thought you had to have one or the other; obviously I'm wrong  ;D

Thanks for putting Tod's big day on the calendar, Jim.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:03 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Jan, the neurosurgeon feels he will need more space to work to get a the tumor around the brainstem and the neurotologist  needs to also clear the tumor from the acoustic nerve canal. The pictures of Bob really are not pretty.

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »
Hey congrats Tod...I know that was the hardest part of this...the deciding and waiting.  I am glad Jan asked that question because I was surprised to see you were getting two approaches...I hope that goes well for you.  The main thing is that you are feeling really good about who and where you are doing this and that makes all the difference in the world!  Good luck and keep us posted!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Tod

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:47:08 pm »
I do feel good about it. The neurosurgeon says he  is open to convincing from the neurotologist to do trans-lab only, but he has 20 years experience, including significant experience with tumors this size. All reports is that these two guys work well together, and feel I have connected well with both. I don't know about others, but I look at what is going on with my brainstem and I am happy to trust the experts.

I still ask lots of questions though....

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:59:51 pm »
Tod,

You're getting a two-for-one deal, huh?  You may win in the Most Impressive Scar contest.   ;)

I'm glad you were able to find a good doctor.  I've heard good things about VCU and I'm sure you'll be in good hands.  Sounds like your doctor is well prepared to kick Bob to the curb!

Make sure to keep us posted!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
The main thing is that you are feeling really good about who and where you are doing this and that makes all the difference in the world! 

I wish I would have said this in my post!  I totally agree with Jay.

Thanks for the explanation about the need for two surgical approaches.  I'm having a hard time visualizing this, but then again I'm not doing your surgery - so that isn't an issue at all  ;)

Comfort with, and confidence in, your doctors and you treatment choice IMO go a very long way.  A positive attitude is also helpful - so you've got that going for you also, Tod.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:00 pm »
wow,
Two approach surgery. Sounds like you will be in many great hands, and glad you have come to the decision. Will be here before you know it.
Getting things ready and try and stay active, exercise when you can. It will help with recovery.
Best wishes,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »
You've got a Big tumor and you've got to go in fighting.  I guess they know what they are doing with two approaches.  You'll have a road map on your skull.  Good thing you're a man and don't have the long hair to grow back like me.  You'll be fine in no time.  Remember:  the first three days post op are the worst.  Hang in there...
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »
Good Luck Tod...I'll be thinking of you!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Always Blogging: www.wonkyhead.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:35:52 pm by Doc B »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Tod

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 06:53:41 pm »
Thanks all. Although Mei Mei, you assume that I have short hair because I am guy...well, iit's true. And I have struggled with just shaving my head before my last day of work, if only for the attention.

The three days post surgery are the worst? Good to know. I am planning to spoil myself and take advantage of certain amenities at the hospital, just to try and make it more bearable.

So tell me, what do folks do in the weeks leading up to surgery to prepare, apart from the standard pre-op appointments and the like? Yesterday I went to the mountains with a buddy for good hike on an ice-covered section of the Appalachian Trail.

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lori67

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:36 pm »
Hiking up an ice covered mountain?  Sounds like brain surgery will be a real blast for you!   :D  I hate the cold, so I think I'd rather be in the warm hospital.   :D

I cleaned my house.  A lot.  Which was pointless because by the time I got back home from the hospital, it was a mess again anyway.  Other than that, I just tried to spend some quality time with my family - we went to the park and the playground, took the kids to a movie, stuff like that.  I only had about 5 weeks between my diagnosis and surgery so I didn't have too much time to kill.

Be careful on those icy mountains or you'll wind up in the hospital in traction sooner than planned!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 09:11:23 am »

Yesterday I went to the mountains with a buddy for good hike on an ice-covered section of the Appalachian Trail.

Perfect! Good exercise and balance exercise there.
Keep exercising! I personally stayed with my step aerobic routine, can't compete with yours. ;) May as well indulge in some good food too, what the heck.....
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

TP

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 09:25:30 am »
Tod, I will keep you in my prayers for your upcoming surgery.

We had a vacation planned and we left the day after I found out I had a brain tumor. We went to the Keys and relaxed. Also, I went fishing the Saturday before my Monday surgery with my brother. I wasn't feeling well but getting out on a boat on the river on a beautiful sunny day was perfect to relax. Of course I didn't catch any fish that day (typical for me) but I had a great day to spend with my brother. But most important for me and my piece of mind was we got our Will done and that was a big relief knowing that if something happened to me or my husband that my daughter would be taken care of. Oh yes, I cleaned my house....Whatever you do, please make sure you are plenty rested prior to your surgery. We will be thinking of you.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision