Author Topic: what kind of numbers (of AN cases) did your surgeon's report they do  (Read 17056 times)

Lilan

Re: what kind of numbers (of AN cases) did your surgeon's report they do
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »
I don't believe anyone has quoted a doctor saying they've done 400 a year!

House does 200 a year as an institution. Each surgery counts twice, if you want to look at it that way, experience-wise -- it adds "one" to each of two doctors who participates.

The doctors who have done 1,000 or more, have done so over, what, say 40 years? -- so that's 25 a year! Very doable.

ETA: The poster who said 400 said "400 total," not in one year.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:56:33 pm by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

TP

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 06:47:06 am »
I still go back to my calculator and 200 a year like many have quoted is an awful lot of AN surgeries. Hard to believe they have time to see patients during the week and  perform that many AN surgeries which are not "in and out" type surgeries. I know my Dr only performs surgeries specifics days of the week and he needs the other days of the week to see patients. This is not to argue with anyone only to suggest to folks who are considering what Dr to choose to look at the big picture and when your Dr tells you a # that large, it may need to follow up with another question, how can you perform that many surgeries and still treat all your patients? Just something to consider.....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 06:52:07 am »
I totally agree with TP.

Only seems logical.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 07:31:29 am »
It is logical -- but not relevant since no one on here has said that any one doctor has done either 200 or 400 per year.

People have said institutions comprising a handful of doctors have done that many; and one poster said that her doctor had done 400 total over his career.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:32 am »
If memory serves me - and it usually does - I remember the post TP is talking about.  I haven't been able to locate it on the Forum, but I'm hopeful I will.

I think the person who originally wrote it was confused and later clarified the post.

Any other "old-timers" remember the post I'm referring to?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 08:09:41 am »
Lilan,

There have been posts, maybe not on this thread, that suggest that large number of surgeries per doctor.  That may not be what was meant by the poster of the post, but I think that's how it may be construed and I think some doctors may give a false impression that it is actually possible for one doctor to perform that many of these type of surgeries in a year.  Patients interviewing doctors need to know to not just focus on the numbers, but there are many other factors to consider in making a choice of brain surgeons.

I completely agree with TP's line of reasoning.  Not only would doing only one AN surgery a day not leave any time for patient follow up or new patient appointments, but  even the absolute best doctor on the planet would suffer from fatigue and burn-out before lasting 40 years at that pace.  I've never done brain surgery myself, but I'm going to assume it's a bit mentally challenging to do it correctly.  Personally, I'd rather not have a doctor who is daydreaming about when he can get home to get some sleep, or planning for the surgery he has to do in an hour while he's got his hands inside my skull.  There's something to be said for recognizing and respecting your human limitations.  I like to think my surgery was more of a marathon than a 50 yard dash for my doctor.

So, I think it is relevant - people need to know the context in which these numbers are used.  If a doctor or facility doesn't specify if the numbers are for one or many doctors or for a long span of time, patients might make a decision based on their own interpretation of the statistics and that may not be accurate.  If I said I have done a million loads of laundry and you thought I did them all this week, you might be very impressed by that or you might think I didn't do a very careful job and everything is a wrinkled mess.  But if I said that number was over the last 25 years, that wouldn't seem to be so unreasonable and you probably wouldn't think my family is walking around looking like an unmade bed.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:27 am »
You mean your kids aren't supposed to look like an unmade bed?    :o

K   ;D

*sorry for highjack - just a little levity!*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:57 am »
Here is the post I was thinking of (by Ladida on page 4) http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10466.0

She clarifies her statement on page 5, I believe.

I'm old - but I'm not THAT old  ;)  ;D

Very well written post, Lori.  I think you explained exactly what TP and I were trying to say - and you said it much more clearly that I ever could.

Thanks for the "assist" (isn't that a hockey term or something?)

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 11:24:11 am »
*sorry for highjack - just a little levity!*

forgiven :-* .... and watching this thread's discussion direction. Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TP

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 12:55:06 pm »
Thank you Lori and Jan. I appreciate you understanding where I am coming from.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »
No problem, TP.

It's what we're here for  ;D

Jan

lori67

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 05:32:47 pm »
You're welcome, TP.

I just don't want people to get the impression that if they were not treated at a specific facility then they did not receive adequate care.  As has been said before, the decision is a very personal one and what might be the right choice for one might not be the right choice for everyone.  I don't want anyone to feel that their choice was wrong or that their surgeon was incompetent just because it doesn't happen to be someone else's choice.  People shouldn't have to second guess their choice - that just adds more stress to what is already a stressful situation.

I'm happy with my choice and frankly, I wouldn't care if someone said horrible things about my surgeon or the hospital I chose, whatever.  But some people are bothered by what they see as criticism of their choices and I don't like to see people upset.  I know my surgeon was not the most experienced surgeon out there - heck, he was only 38 years old and alive for less time than some doctors have been operating, but the experience he did have and his credentials were enough to convince me that he was the man for the job.   

Bottom line: look at all sides - ask for numbers, ask for outcomes, ask for references, go on-line and check out credentials and schooling, go with your gut.  Trust yourself to make the right decision for YOU!  After all, you're the only one who should be making decisions regarding your own head.  Input from others who have been there, done that is great, but it should not be the only thing you consider in making your decision.

Lori, stepping down from my soapbox now...
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 08:25:30 pm »
I'm sure it will come as no shock to anyone, that I agree 100% with Lori - however, that's not just because we are friends (and partners in crime).

Since the day I joined the Forum I have made it one of my missions to reiterate all the points she just made - although not so eloquently - because I believe in them completely.

IMO, everything she said is true. 

Jan, stepping down right behind Lori

lori67

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 09:22:02 pm »
Don't worry, Jan.  I'm not friends with you anymore because you called me old!   :P

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »
Et tu Brute?   ;D