Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420423 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #690 on: February 02, 2011, 07:53:54 am »
Warm sounds good, -8 here tonight. Brrr!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #691 on: February 02, 2011, 08:24:07 am »
Haven't been to the gym lately, but will definitely get exercise the next few days shoveling snow.

I have two driveways to shovel - the one at my house and the one at the house I'm supposed to be moving into.  Lucky me!

The weather people were right.  We have snow and LOTS of it.  In fact it's still snowing now.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #692 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:26 am »
Didn't go to the gym today, in fact, I'm laying back in bed - reading & sleeping & trying to stay warm!! We are having "rolling blackouts" - 3 so far - the 1st at 5:45 right before I got Addi uP for practice! She said she'd never gotten dressed in the dark before! Guess they'll have stories to tell about their days w/ intermittent power! The 2nd was after I dropped them off as school was to start - bet that was crazy! 

I figured I'd be right in the middle of working out & the machine would die...& I was just plain lazy!

Have a good day & stay warm!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #693 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:25 pm »
who sent me Arctic air ??? this time yesterday it was about 60* ... it was breezy but nice out ... right now it is 30* with wind chill of 19*  :o

I walked down to the drive get the mail and decided to train by going down the road on one of my looping short routes that is just over 4 miles ... easy peasy ... well not when your face goes numb , your eye begins to run , as does your nose so you have frozen tears and snot on your face and you can't feel your nose or the fronts of your legs ... it was not blowing when I left ... the wind cuts through your clothe like a knife ... got on here to check wind chill and seeing 19* know why I am cold ... been back an hour and insides still feel cold and face feels funny ... hands were gloved and stuffed in pockets and are fine ... trunk cool but fine ... arms , legs and face not so fine ... had knit hat on and hood pulled over that ...face getting cold translates to head getting cold ...took precautionary dose of Tylenol and so far no headache ....

I may never walk again  :( ... one advantage is since my legs are frozen I can't tell if my muscles are aching  ;D ...

actually did have tears and snot froze on edge of hood ... tossed it the wash ... I am thinking of tossing myself in a nice hot shower to get rid of the rest of the chill ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #694 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:53 pm »
Soundy - I know what you mean about the wind, when we were walking Sunday it was fine as long as we were amongst the trees but out in the open it was bbbrrrr.  Glad you got out and about hopefully it will be warmer next time.

Clarice - Glad to hear your getting to the gym on a regular basis, how's the balance issue going?

Kay - Yeah for the loose pants, love that feeling.

Kerri - Did you get out today, hope so, and how about tomorrow?

Jan - You get extra points for snow shoveling as you are getting exercise and working at the same time.

Sara - Did you find your way out of the snow yet, if so, can you head my way, I need a personal trainer.  I asked about taking care of sore muscles and you told me to do upper body weights one day then lower body weights the next.  Guess I need someone with me to remind me of that.  I decided to try some more of the new weight machines, I like them, I like them so much that I tried several of each(lower & upper).  Now my muscles are mad at me and I'm not sure which ones to pick on tomorrow.  Might go for the lower muscles, there not quite as sore. 

We are pretty cold hear 9 at night, low 20's in the day but at least we don't have the snow like most of you guys.  Should be mid 30's or 40's this weekend, sure hope so.  Today I decided I've had enough of Winter, must be that Groundhog Day thing!  Have a great rest of the week, Jill :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #695 on: February 02, 2011, 10:06:01 pm »
i think i'd rather have snow on the ground and 32 than no snow and 10. but i do feel for those who have so much.

jill, thanks for asking... i did run yesterday (literally ran to the bank) and today (ran in the snow). that was kind of fun. it was about 4" of snow, not 4' like some have! tomorrow i need to not put it off all day. i need to run in the morning!! when i put it off all day, then by the end of the day i only go about 25-30 minutes. would like to do a bit more during the week.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #696 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:49 pm »
Tomorrow is the third consecutive snow day for the kids. The Y will be open tomorrow, but we have a very long driveway that was only partially cleared today, so I still can't get out. We will have to finish tomorrow.

Jill, if you must do a weight workout, go ahead and do lower body, but you could also do only cardio and pick up with weights the following day.

Soundy, you stay warm and healthy. That is an order and not a suggestion.

Kaybo, what's with the power outages? It's not like y'all are buried in snow down there. Is it the wind?

Jan, I'm right there with you - two captive teenagers, who will be helping with the driveway yet again tomorrow. They may actually be glad to get back to school Friday.

Keep up the good work, everyone.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #697 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:54 am »
Jill .....

Thanks for the "pep talk."  I needed that!  Did not get to the Y yesterday ...... no excuse except that I was way more "wonkyheaded" than usual  ..... don't know why.  Spent almost the entire night wide awake last night.  Probably totally mental since my MRI is coming up shortly.  I've had a headache for two days but that is probably my usual barometric pressure change headache with this storm system that affected Sara, Soundy, and Jan especially.  We had lots of wind but only about a half inch of actual snow.  Cold this morning and flurrying.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #698 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:44 am »
Saralynn~
Actually, the sleet/snow (they have predicted up to 3" - for HOUSTON - I admit - I'm skeptical!) is supposed to come this afternoon & everyone is FREAKING OUT!!  Schools have already announced early closures & cancellation of extra curricular activities for tonight.  Ours hasn't & I am torn as Addi's Play-offs are slated to start tonight - I'm sure that they will be cancelled.  It will be a mess after dark and no one knows how to drive on it AND there are no ice trucks!  

We are having "rolling blackouts" to help the state have enough energy to keep from having major power outages in other parts...you can google it!  Gotta run get Addi to school & go to the grocery _ I'm sure everyone'll be there "stocking up" - me, I just need frozed pancakes - forgot them yesterday! ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #699 on: February 04, 2011, 12:33:10 am »
Our youngest is back home from Texas this evening and depending on how much time we see him vs girl friend gets to see him will determine how much time I have to exercise, he just left to see said girl friend so it looks like my exercise card is open!   :-\

Keri - I like shoveling snow for exercise but have never tried running in it , bet you get an even better work out with the snow resistance.  I can see where it would be fun as long as you don't slip and slide as you go.  Good idea on getting the morning workout, I use to go to work at 9 or 10:30 a.m. so I went to the gym before work, seems like I had more energy and therefore pedaled faster etc.  When I get to the club after work I'm tired so it takes a while to get in the swing of it.

Clarice - I can see why you didn't go to the gym, the wonky head must make it really hard to function let alone try and work out and keep your balance.  Sorry to hear your having headaches and not sleeping.  Wouldn't doubt it if the not sleeping is caused by the upcoming MRI, I know that when I'm worried about up coming medical test or issues with my boys I don't sleep as well.  If you can get to the gym and do something that doesn't affect your wonky head as much I encourage you to do so as getting a workout as I'm sure you know will help you sleep which in turn could help with the other issues.  Hope the MRI turns out fine!

Kay - It's amazing how a little bit of snow can affect a place that isn't use to snow but to others that get it quite a bit, 3" is a piece of cake.  Been hearing about the weather from all over the last 3 days and I'm glad I'm where I am.  I'm ready for Spring!  Was glad our son made it home from San Antonio, was concerned when I read about the rolling blackouts and then heard on the news that some flights out of Dallas were canceled.

Sara - Did you get your driveway shoveled out?  I took your advice and stuck to the cardio tonight, did some fast paced shopping then headed to the gym and rode the bike at a higher level, then went home, never entered the weight room because a little Sara voice told me not to.  Don't feel sore at all so back to the weights tomorrow, upper OR lower! 

Weather or not you want to, weather or not you can, I hope you can weather this storm and get some exercise this weekend in whatever form suits you!  Jill :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #700 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:33 am »
Great job, Jill! Let us know how your workout goes.

The kids and I did finish the driveway yesterday. It took a little maneuvering to get out this morning, but I took Elbee to school, walked there for about half an hour while the teachers attended mass, then went to a women's health screening sponsored by the clinic where my husband works. My blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol screenings were all excellent, as were my weight and BMI. I explained to the dietitian and doctor what I was doing for my Body-for-Life challenge, and they told me to keep up the good work. I'm happy with that.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #701 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:38 am »
yay, sara; that's great!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #702 on: February 04, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »
I got curious about how long we have kept this thread going, so I went back and reread page 1. It's been over a year! Great work everyone - keep it up.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2011, 10:12:39 am »
down with bronchial infection ... I get them almost every year and doctor said I am not contagious but
that some  bug I snag but didn't develop ( maybe strep) just took up residence in my bronchial tubes ..
feel like I have inhaled smoke ... ask him if getting cold caused it like friends were claiming ( I don't believe
cold makes you sick ) and he said no but it could make me feel worse to get cold

that said I am eating antibiotics and cleaning house ... with alot of breaks thrown in ... reading and watching old
black and white movies on TCM ...

I wonder how many mile we have walked in a year and how many sit ups have been done??? for me alot more than
previous year but not as many as I would have like to get done ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #704 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:10 am »
I got curious about how long we have kept this thread going, so I went back and reread page 1. It's been over a year! Great work everyone - keep it up.

That is great!  Let's shoot for another year!

Did 8 miles this morning in the drizzle, BUT it wasn't sleet or snow, so I'm counting my blessings!  How long til Spring?  Know you guys up north have it so much worse than we do here, so I'm trying not to complain too much...trying...

Soundy, hope you feel better soon...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings