Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420911 times)

texsooner

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »
Thanks for all the well wishes for my first marathon run this weekend...special thanks to Keri for her tips and sage advice. The local weather guys are saying there's a good chance of rain and upper 50's for race day. I'd rather it be dry and low 40's, but guess it could be worse.

I like to set targets for events I do and train for.....kind of keeps me motivated and also gives me a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when I reach the goals. So, here's my official Houston Marathon goals:

1) Make it to the starting line. (After +600 miles of training, I've got to make it to the start).
2) Make it all the way to the finish line (26.2 miles come rain or shine) before they shut down the race.
3) Beat Al Roker's NYC Marathon time (7 hrs, 9 minutes)
4) Beat Jared's (Subway dude) NYC Marathon time (5 hrs, 14 minutes)
5) Beat the 5 hour mark

and 2 stretch goals:
6) Beat the 4 1/2 hour mark
7) Finish in top half of particants overall and in my age group.

The first 5 are attainable goals for me if I'm healthy on race day and can avoid accidents, so I'll be somewhat disappointed if I don't get all of those. The stretch goals are probably iffy and will depend on the weather and how I hold up (especially the last 10 miles). I can't hide from any of these, as all the times get posted for the public to see later on the day of the marathon.

I'm nervous about it (being my first full marathon), but once I get running, I think I'll be okay. Thanks again for all your support. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
First and foremost, let me say that Patrick, YOU ROCK!!!

Now for a report from a lesser athlete (me)  :D

Finally made it to the gym yesterday after work, where I ran 1 1/2 miles and found the most incredible thing they have there - a full size punching bag where it's amazing how great you can feel after you smack the hell out of it  ;D  Took all my stress away - and believe me, my stress level has been at an all time high the past few months (won't bore you with all the bloody details).

Even better, I returned today after work and ran again; I'm hopeful I'm back on the exercise path for good.

May have to skip tomorrow though; picking up the keys to our new place after work. 

Oh man, I can feel the stress of moving already - better get back to that punching bag  ;)

Good luck, Patrick.  No matter how many of your goals you reach, you'll make us proud - and me jealous that you're in much better shape than I am. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:17 pm »
Jill - are you alright... did you roll down the hill the 'fast way?' glad you're getting your exercise in creative ways! be careful.

kay and sara - good for you!

jan - i'm so glad you got back - i knew you would. that's great about the punching bag. i do part time bookkeeping work for a residential contractor and once i helped with demo and banged the heck out of a bathroom wall using a sledge hammer; another time threw (and smashed) windows in the back of a dump trailer. good way to relieve stress! and i hope your move goes well... that's a lot of exercise itself for sure. don't feel badly when you have to take a day off; rest is important too (although if you're moving, you're probably not resting much).

patrick - i love your goals!  i think you'll reach the first 5 as well, no problem. probably break 4 1/2 hours as well. my goal in my last marathon was to beat jared too! i didn't do it though; he beat me. i willl try to next time! i have seen people running marathons with a sign on their back like 'beat oprah' and then have her time (which i think was in the 4 + hour range, but it was a while ago). but marathons are unpredictable, even to the fastest and most experienced.. but i know you'll do fine. i hope if it does rain it's just a light mist. that may be kind of nice. it is something to be a bit nervous about, but once you start, you'll be fine. it's kind of emotional too, after doing all that training... it's finally here! wish we could all be there cheering!

have a good week everyone!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »
Slept in this morning and went to do my cardio workout after chapel at school. I never thought I would say this, but it's easier to get it over with at 5:00 a.m.

Jan, I did not know you were moving. Best wishes - I hope it's a good move. I've always meant to try a kickboxing class, but it sounds like more fun just to hit the dummies.

Patrick and Keri - cheering for the two of you from Missouri. You make us all proud.

Jill Marie, hope you feel better soon. It's a good sore, right?

Kay, keep up the good work.

Gotta go run errands now, so to everyone else I haven't had time to mention . . . keep it moving!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2011, 11:02:04 pm »
Yes, I am moving within a matter of weeks.  Have lived in my current house for 24 years (yikes, am I really that old  ???) and my kids have lived here all their lives.

But new adventures await us.  Life has been very unpredictable the past five years. 

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #665 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
Message from Keri:

I just wrote this but not sure it posted... i can t get on ana from my phone. we are on day 2 with no power (out in the hinterlands: surburban DC haha). Tell the exercise grp i ll be back when i get power and im getting my wrkouts hauling firewood thru snow. im sure soundy will have something to say to that! thanks, sara

Hope you thaw out soon, Keri.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #666 on: January 27, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
have lost 6 pounds...worked on the rest of the stuff (weights) today with the trainer for my initial stint with her.  I am too cheap to have my own trainer - even though I would LOVE it, but she is really good and said that when we are both up there to always ask her stuff and she'll help me!!  Yea for that!

Way to go Jan!

Keri - see you when you have power again - guess you'll use a lot of muscles shoveling snow!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #667 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

Kay - Way to go on working out and loosing 6#, gotta be happy about that and encouraged to keep going even when you don't want to!

Sara - Yes, it's a good sore each and everyday & each and every new sore muscle.  Another club joined our club so there's lots of new machines to try out.  When I get up in the morning and start to move I fondly remember the new machines I tried the night before.

Patrick - Thanks so much for posting your goals, it really helps to know the why and how of what you're doing.  It means a lot more than just saying I'm doing a marathon, will be thinking about you this weekend

Jan - YEAH for you, back on the exercise plan, can't be easy with a move in the works.  If you change your mind about boring us with the details of what's been going on feel free to share, we're here for physical and emotional support

Keri - No I didn't go down the hill the fastest way possible, I sure went for a nice slide though, luckily Hubby was there to catch me so I didn't do the roll.  Looks like you are doing some alternative exercising as well, firewood hauling is great exercise.

I'm a creature of habit so between being in the habit of checking this thread for support and in the habit of stopping at the club after work I'm doing pretty good.  I've upped the bike riding from 30 minutes to 50 and I'm doing a bit more weights or increasing the weight everyday.  My pants aren't tight like they were just after Christmas so that's a real plus.  Making plans for our first vacation in June so that really helps motivate me.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #668 on: January 28, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »

Jan - YEAH for you, back on the exercise plan, can't be easy with a move in the works.  If you change your mind about boring us with the details of what's been going on feel free to share, we're here for physical and emotional support

Thanks for the offer, but there's so much crap going on in my life right now if I posted it all I'm not sure anyone would believe me.

It would make a great country song, though  ;D

Jan

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #669 on: January 28, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »
Think about your audience here, Jan. We have all lived the unbelievable. We'll listen if you care to talk. Otherwise just know we're behind you.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #670 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:49 pm »
The creature of habit jumped off the wagon tonight!  Got a call at work from my oldest son, said he was ok but could hear it in his voice that he wasn't ok.  Told him I would call him after work, called but couldn't get him so Mother Bear headed home to see if he was there.  Somethings are more important than working out.  He called me at home later, said he broke up with long time girl friend, it's a good thing but still hard to do. 

Jan - I agree with Sara,  here to listen if you want to talk, if it will help to just talk about it, either way we are thinking about you and hoping life gets better soon. Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:08 am »
Good reminder, Jill. Some things are more important than working out. I have been amazed since starting BFL how hard-core some participants are. I want fitness to be part of my life, but not rule it.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:55 am »
So here's a thought/question...the trainer that I worked with both days (initial consultation split because of time) was very surprised by my core strength.  I can do far more sit-ups than most people in my shape (or lack thereof!!)  and am able to do plank, inverted sit-ups and the Roman chair fairly easily also.  I got to thinking about it and am wondering if it is because my body is always "fighting" with itself to keep me upright??  Has my core strengthened as a result of that?

Thoughts anyone...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:52 am »
I have gained 2 pounds and no happy about that ... we are having warmer weather and hope I can get out and walk ... I just don't do cold well and our highs of 30 or lower have kept me in ...
been running a temp off and on for no reason ... don't feel bad just have the temp ... doctor checked hormones thinking  maybe I was beginning to experience "my own personal summers" but that is not it ... running ANA levels and to try to determine if it is lupus related ... if I was running a temp because I was coming down with something I would ignore it thinking it was just me ... I worry about spreading germs but doctor said go on as usual since not sick and no one around me is sick ...

walked in school gym yesterday in between working on bookfair arrangements and helping to clean out a work room to set up for Sweethearts Tournament lunch that is on Monday ... we were told just make it look like more than a store room ... we took all the  micro waves but one to basement and took 2 of the three coffee makers and hid them in classroom closets ... the book shelf that is in the corner where we leave and take books was straightened up and we put Valentines decorations on the bulletin board ... and we have to undo it Tuesday and will get another work out  ... the walk carrying things down embankment to basement is a good leg and bun work out ...it was  too wet to put stuff in my truck and drive it around the building and down the bank ... I can feel the burn in my achy muscles today ... I can work out a muscle group and be tired and a bit achy one day but the real soreness catches up with me about 15 -20 hours later ...

gym teacher getting a set of wobble boards ... someone  that is PTO President  ;) ( wink wink ) suggested them when it was put on the table to get some new types of indoor toys/workout equipment ... they kinda look like mini Waves and can be used the same way as a wave ... it also has a set of games where you kinda duck walk with them ... races ... wobbling and dribbling a ball or wobbling and doing chest passes with a ball ... I think the kids are ( read I am ) going to like them  ;D ... got ones that can take up to 250 pounds ...this way they can be used for all grades and the occasional adult that sneaks in to play with them ... only 14.95 each or 6 for 69.95 ... after they come in I may order one for myself here ... they are  suppose to develop balance and upper body control ... I am gonna test them out to make sure they are a good thing  :) ... I  told coach that was a condition to me signing the check ... I am calling this my abuse of power before backing out of office ... I also ordered benches for upper grade teachers to sit on when the kids go out in the afternoons ... right now they have the kids carry a classroom chair in and out ... I like spending other peoples money ... still have $200 to spend for gym and undecided ... trying to find something new and different that will benefit all the kids from K - 8th grade ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:10 am »
So here's a thought/question...the trainer that I worked with both days (initial consultation split because of time) was very surprised by my core strength.  I can do far more sit-ups than most people in my shape (or lack thereof!!)  and am able to do plank, inverted sit-ups and the Roman chair fairly easily also.  I got to thinking about it and am wondering if it is because my body is always "fighting" with itself to keep me upright??  Has my core strengthened as a result of that?

Thoughts anyone...

K   ;D

A HA ... I think you have got something there ... I can do more situps than I could pre-surgery ... I remember when I was having to find my new balance right after surgery that muscles on sides from hip bone to just under bra line would get sore if I just walked too long ...and lower back muscles would get sore too ...I had thought about it and just excused it as a side effect of surgery ...magically I could now do sit ups ...I think you have found my answer
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery