Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 54727 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2010, 02:44:07 pm »
Kathy,
Keep the updates coming!  That way we can keep our prayers specific to the need.  My heart goes out to you having to deal with that infernal, danged IV!  I only had to deal with it 3 weeks and it felt like an eternity. Make sure you are eating lots of yogurt to help your system deal w/the antibiotics.  They did a number on mine!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »
Kathy -

I'm with the rest of the crowd.  No updates are too many.  I'm certain that I'm part of the majority that thinks of you often and keeps you and your family in my prayers.

Best of luck tomorrow.  Your attitude is amazing.

Keep your chin up, my friend.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:57 pm »
Hi, Kathy...see that your chemo was to start today...thinking of you still and look forward to your next update when you feel up to it.  We're all with you all the way!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
Thinking of you as you start your treatment.  Hopefully this will all go smoothly. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 04:05:14 pm »
wishing you well ...glad you are starting treatments and not having to wait any longer ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Wwoodian

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:46 am »
Praying for you!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

wendysig

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2010, 08:17:23 pm »
Kathy,

I haven't been around for a while and wanted you to know that you are often in my thoughts.  I hope everything is going as well as possible.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2010, 10:08:22 am »
Good Morning, Everyone!  And it IS a good morning!!  It has been a while since my last post - my first chemo treatment was far more difficult than even my oncologist anticipated.  WOW....but only 7 more to go, right?!!! 

On the day after my first treatment, as I lay in bed, my husband walks in with a box that had just been delivered.   He opened it for me and he sat next to me on the bed.....it was from my AN family!!!!!!!!!!!!  In it were cards of personal well wishes and love, a wonderful hat from Sara, and beautiful purple dishcloth from ombrerose, and a quilt made up of squares from so many AN friends with words of inspiration, warmth, and love - all in my favorite colors.  Steve and I are just overwhelmed by your generosity - together we ran our hands over each and every piece, reading the squares, feeling the warmth that it radiates, and hearing a symphony of voices whispering in our ears that we'll be ok and that we are loved.  I can not thank you enough - the quilt is on our bed and comes with me to the living room as I lie back and rest.  The individual gifts are always in my sight in my bedroom (when I'm not wearing the hat!).  It could not have come at a better time, as I was feeling so very small, ill, and desperately weak.

Snce then, I've had good days and bad days, but the last few have been good.  My spirit is back to what I know is "me".  Steve took me to work yesterday to say hello to my friends there - he sat outside in the parking lot for 2 hours while I was surrounded by my friends who filled me up with their hugs, smiles, and encouragement.  We talked "work" which I was so thirsty for, and it let me see that I am valued at work, missed, and will be welcomed back with open arms when I am ready.

3/18 is my next treatment.  My oncology team is armed and ready with a new mix of preparatory drugs to hopefully avoid the misery I experienced the first go round.  My IV antibiotics for this infernal infection (AN-related) will END ON MONDAY, so no more dragging around this fannie pack!!  HURRAY!!!!  I'll just be on oral antibiotics for an extended time, and should not have the digestive issues related to the high dosage of the IV meds I've been on for 10 weeks.  That may also help to minimize my chemo side effects.

I'll update more later...my husband is rarin' to go today and wants to take me shopping!!  I just love that man!!!  I'm on the lookout for pretty things - jewelry, clothes, and the like because this week or next will be the hair loss and I know that will be a very difficult time no matter hard I am prepared.  My wig's name is Lola, and she stands ready to serve me when the time comes - she is next to my bed on a stand and she seems to be a nice gal!!!  I think we'll get along fine!

Love to all of you and I am sending you gentle hugs from both Steve and I!

Kathy

PS  I learned at work yesterday something very important about hugs....with each one, my stuffed **** got smaller and smaller!!!  Gotta put in more stuffing next time!!!!

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lori67

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2010, 11:03:11 am »
Kathy,

It's sooooo good to hear from you.  And you always have a way of making me laugh!  What a sense of humor and great outlook you have!  I love it.  Maybe you can use some of the quilt stuffing next time?   ;)

You DO have a great husband!  He WANTS to go shopping?  Wow.  Where'd you get him?  I hope you have a great shopping spree, find lots or pretty things- on sale - and treat yourself right today.

I'm glad to hear you and Lola are getting along well.  Why do I have a feeling you could get along with anyone - or anything - anyway? 

Keep staying tough.  This peanut gallery will be in your corner, cheering you on every step of the way!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jackie

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2010, 11:41:11 am »
Hello Kathy dear,

So very good to hear from you and an update. I spoke with Donnalynn recently ans she said you were having a difficult time so I have been praying extra hard for you and hope that you great improvements will be felt soon! You are strong and bold and are loved by so many and we are all cheering you on! Keep the great attitude, and the bright spirit, you are going to be fine! Sending you and hubby many Blessings and prayers,
Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »
A great update!!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »
Kathy ~

I was so pleased to read your latest update and, although the first chemo treatment apparently was a struggle, your courageous, rational attitude as you fight this battle is remarkable and - forgive the cliché - inspiring.  Oh, and your husband is definitely a 'keeper'.  :)  I know your virtual hugs are reciprocated by everyone that reads your posts - including me, and you'll remain in the prayers of many.   May God bless and keep you, Kathy.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:03 pm »
Kathy,
I'm so glad to hear that you survived your first chemo treatment, though with great difficulty.
THIS means that the next round won't be as bad, because you  are probably thinking"Could it GET any worse?"
I also lift you up in prayer. You are one TOUGH cookie.
I'm so glad you got that quilt when you needed it and all the other little goodies. Donnalynn is an angel for putting it together. THANKS DONNALYNN!!!!
Enjoy yourself, pamper yourself,you will get through this :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Cheryl R

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »
Kathy,  Super that you have received the quilt and all the good thoughts that are with it.     Donnalynn was so wonderful to be of such help with it.            I hope the next round of chemo goes ok for you as it is a hard time for a person.    I and so many here wish you and your family well!                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »
I'm sorry that your first treatment was so hard. Hopefully the tweaks that the oncology team makes will make the next one easier. Hang in there - every treatment you go through is one less that you are facing.

Have fun letting Steve pamper you. I hope you find lots of pretties. Meanwhile, we'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13