Author Topic: new discovery  (Read 8745 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
new discovery
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:56:30 am »
I have had a metallic/iron taste in my mouth for YEARS....
It can be very bad some days and not so much on others.
Some days it can cause my tongue to become swollen, SORE and also to appear to have ulcers (burn looking circles) on it.
Back 15 yrs ago they diagnosed me with "geographical tongue" which includes all these symptoms.
Just tonight I can't sleep for the taste in my mouth.  I decided to read more on it and discovered that damage/stress to the 7-10 cranial nerves can cause this to the tongue. 
I also read articles of others with schwannomas on those nerves who have had this pre/post operative.
Now once again, I know I am NOT going crazy with symptoms no one else I know has. 
Anyone else experience these symptoms?
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
other thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:02:37 am »
I did a search on this AFTER I wrote it and discovered another thread on this topic... which I'll post here.
I am SO glad for this forum as it keeps us all sane with what ever is going on with our bodies! 
"Yucky Taste in Mouth" is the other topic on the forum posted in March 2009.
Thank you ALL for every single contribution to this forum... xo
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

sgerrard

Re: other thread
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:06:35 am »
"Yucky Taste in Mouth" is the other topic on the forum posted in March 2009.

It is important to use the medically correct term when searching on the forum.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

gte025u

• CarePage
Re: new discovery
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:00:11 pm »
I have had a metallic/iron taste in my mouth for YEARS....
It can be very bad some days and not so much on others.
Some days it can cause my tongue to become swollen, SORE and also to appear to have ulcers (burn looking circles) on it.
Back 15 yrs ago they diagnosed me with "geographical tongue" which includes all these symptoms.
Just tonight I can't sleep for the taste in my mouth.  I decided to read more on it and discovered that damage/stress to the 7-10 cranial nerves can cause this to the tongue. 
I also read articles of others with schwannomas on those nerves who have had this pre/post operative.
Now once again, I know I am NOT going crazy with symptoms no one else I know has. 
Anyone else experience these symptoms?

I haven't had tongue/taste symptoms except for after I had a biopsy on 11/18/09 (I have a complicated cancer history and the docs were concerned that my tumor was malignant).  For several days after the surgery (retro-sigmoid craniotomy) everything tasted "different" - sweet stuff tasted disgustingly sweet, salty stuff tasted way too salty, and I couldn't stand the taste of coffee (although I'm a coffee drinker).  In retrospect, my tumor is fairly low on my brain stem which may explain the taste disturbances.  Since my biopsy I have consulted House Ear Clinic and Dr. Fukushima - they both feel like my tumor is more of a jugular foramen tumor (which would be in the area of the tongue, throat, and vagus nerves).
Treated for left orbit rhabdomyosarcoma 4/84 - 7/86.  Left side deafness and blindness.  Diagnosed with right side 32 mm Schwannoma on 10/9/09 - not sure which nerve it's coming from.  Retrosigmoid open biopsy on 11/18/09 to make sure it wasn't malignant neoplasm related to rhabdo treatment

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »
See, you're not crazy!  Or maybe it's just that we're all somewhat crazy around here and you just fit in?   :D

I had the metallic taste for a few months after my surgery.  It was definitely yucky!  Some days everything I ate tasted like a cardboard and metal sandwich.  I'm happy to say the metal taste is gone but I do need to spice things up a bit more in order for me to taste them.  My poor family!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
maybe that is why I like things SO SPICY!!  Good thing I am in TEXAS!!   :D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »
gte025u .....

Yeah, you did it!  ...... and welcome to this great forum of compassionate folks, who have walked the walk, so to speak.

I did not have the taste issues but as you can see, you are not alone in this regard.  It is very comforting to be able to share information and things that are bothering us with others who can truly understand.

Rhonda, I hope this very annoying symptom will be relieved following treatment.

Thoughts and prayers to all who are struggling with the tongue and taste issues.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
Like Lori, I had metallic mouth for a few months post op also.

Zinc is supposed to help it go away.  I took zinc, but can't honestly say if it made my metallic mouth go away faster or not.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
Hello,
You are not alone! My very favorite thing about this forum is being able to check this kind of thing out. I have had metallic taste in my mouth on & off for years as well. I am W&W; but I thought that this taste alteration was a typical symptom. Cinnamon chewing gum or anything Cinnamon seems to mask it for me. But like most symptoms I have, when i focus on them they are worse. It is so healing to know that others are out there dealing with the same bizarre sets of symptoms.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:48:25 am »
Back when (15 yrs ago)  when I first got diagnosed with this tongue taste they gave me some kind of thick GROSS brown paste in a tube that I was supposed to spread on my tongue when it flared up.  LOL  Don't know what was worse at the time!  ewwwwww  just the thought of it now...
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:31 am »
Right after surgery, I didnt have the metallic taste, but SOAP taste. It wasnt constant,but  just every now and then....
Now periodically, I do get a light metallic taste and bad breath.  This only happens when I get that novacaine feeling in my tongue
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 04:08:28 pm »
Hi Suz and welcome!

It sure seems like nothing is truly bizarre around here!  Maybe to other people, but not to us amazing AN people!   ;D

Petgroomer, just thinking about having to frost your tongue with brown goo is awful!   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:45 pm »
Petgroomer,

I can't say that I had taste alterations because of my AN (neither pre-op or post-op), however I did have taste issues when I started taking a diuretic..  Where I saw it the most was Coke always tasted flat..  It was really bad because I LOVE Coke!  So, in that way, I can empathize with what you're dealing with..  I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.

Hi Suz and welcome aboard!  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »
I have had the metallic taste in my mouth for years and at times it feels like I am salvating more when that happens, unfortunately it hasn't affected my appetite.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

opp2

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:36 pm »
I had the metallic taste in my mouth while pregnant. Everything tasted terrible, I love coffee but couldn't drink it, I had to drink my water at room temperature, my saliva glands were in overproduction mode, to the point that I had a cup I kept with me because spitting on the carpet at work was a no no. I was nauseated all the time. I can empathize with you guys. Sorry for your troubles.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.