Author Topic: Uh-oh. Running a fever.  (Read 6399 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Uh-oh. Running a fever.
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:00 am »
I started running a fever last night and it hung on all through the night.  It came down to normal for an hour or two this morning, but I just took my temp and it is back up.  This in spite of being on the Fioricet which has Tylenol in it (well, acetaminophen which is Tylenol, right?).  It's been hanging in the mid 99's, but it was up to 101.3 at the worst.  I very rarely ever run fevers.  Haven't had one in years, I don't think.

I'm two weeks post-op today, so I doubt it would be meningitis this late, right?  I honestly think I just have a cold I got from my 3 1/2 year old.  I'm weak and my immune system is probably weak too.  Still, I'm calling the doctor as soon as they open.  I was going to for the headaches anyway.  Wow, I've turned into quite the trouble patient!   :D

I came home feeling so good and I've deteriorated.  It is a little disheartening, but I'm still very hopeful that this is just a bump and that I will feel better soon. 

9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Uh-oh. Running a fever.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:48:53 am »
Good luck, Lynn.
Sorry you're having troubles.  I hope your support team is still with you and can allow you to get some rest.
I know you're chompin' at the bit, but your body needs all that reserve energy to heal, so please take it easy for a while.
Keep us posted.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

TP

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:28:16 am »
Please call your Dr if you are having a fever. They may watch it until it reaches a certain level. I had issues with running a fever after my AN was removed. Please don't assume anything, call your Dr.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:31:55 am »
Menigitis is still possible 2 weeks post op.     That was when I had my CSF leak and they let me wait overnight to come back to the hospital since I did not have a fever.       I hope it is just a cold but you do need checked out!                Do you have any drip from your nose when you stay with your head bent over for over 3 minutes?             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:24 am »
I agree...don't assume it is a cold -call your Dr. to make sure he feels you are ok.
Erin

moe

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »

I came home feeling so good and I've deteriorated. 

Lynn,
That's one way of looking at it. You are not deteriorating, you are recovering from BRAIN SURGERY!! :o

My mantra is that it takes AT LEAST 6 weeks of rest, sleep, nap, gentle walks, fluids to get your body back to normal.
You probably "overdid it" , because you felt so good coming home. With the holidays stress, your body needing to rest and such, your body is telling you to SLOW down.
This is a very NORMAL occurence.

Definitely check out with your doctor though. IMO If you are having like the worst headache ever in your whole life, compared to the post surgical headache, there is a difference, and that WORST headache of your whole life would be indicative of meningitis.

You have little Infectious Disease Units running around (that's what we affectionately referred to our kids at that age) :D so I blame THEM!

Let us know how things progress.  It it is a cold, ZICAM works wonders.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »
Lyn .....

The good news is your initial recovery was rapid and wonderful.  The bad news is you are now just going through some of the other junk that can go along with this whole deal.  You definitely should contact your doctor about the fever ...... that is not the usual pattern.  Hopefully it is nothing more than a troublesome cold, but it is not worth going without medical advice on this one.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:29:14 pm »
Hi, Lyn ~

I'm so sorry to learn about this latest medical problem to beset you.  I think you'll be O.K. but apparently only after you get through these post-op issues that occasionally occur. Try to remain relatively optimistic.  You're in the prayers of many and that should give you both hope and solace.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »
Definitely call the doctor even for the slightest temperature you rather be sure remember you did have brain surgery... usually if there is a CSF leak by bending your head to the floor for 5 minutes and have significant nasal leakage call the doctor immediately.  Also do not forget that after surgery I am sure you were on all sorts of medication and that is why you were feeling good and now that you stopped you are experiencing all the relatively normal post-op goodies we receive from having brain surgery and you have to rest even if there are days you feel good you have to give yourself time to heal it may take several months or longer in some cases...

My prayers are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »
I'm back home.  It was a VERY long day, but I think it was good that I went because they ruled out all of the bad stuff.  I had a lot of tests done including blood work and a CT scan (first one ever for me).  They say there are no signs of any infections, and in fact my incision site looks like it is healing very well.  Also no signs of a CSF leak.  They still think the head pain is from the surgery, stressed muscles, and the fact that the incision went through some neck muscles (so that caused even more tightness and discomfort in that area).  They say some people's muscles are more easily disturbed than others.

So, the plan is to keep taking the medications I am on for now.  They say the Fioricet isn’t a very strong narcotic, and because I’m being careful to stay within the dosage guidelines it should be ok if it helps.  They stressed that I am still EARLY in my recovery (like all of you have posted reminding me also!!!).  I need to be more patient and just let my body heal. 

The fever is likely just from a cold.  My throat is red and my glands are swollen, so because all of the other tests  came back negative they just want  me to watch it and report back if it goes up. 

Whew.  Thanks to all of you.  I can’t tell you how much it has helped to have the support on this board.  It was a long day, but I am glad I went because it gave me peace of mind.
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
Glad to hear it was a good visit!

Now get off the boards and go get some rest  :P
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:43:29 am »
Good news from the tests!  Much better to go have it checked and be OK than not go and it turn out to be something more serious.  Hopefully you can relax a little bit more now and rest and let your body heal.  Someone else needs to take care of the kids and the house right now ..... your job is to heal from a major trauma to your system.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lynn Mc

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:58:31 am »
Lyn,

I thank God all your tests were OK.  Sounds like those that know all say REST!!!  Please take care of yourself.

Thinking of you,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »
I'm so happy to hear that everything checked out okay.  It can be real scary to imagine some of the dangerous complications that some AN patients suffer post surgery and none of us are really "out of the woods" for quite some time, I'm afraid.  I do hope you get some relief from your headaches real soon and the rest of your recovery is painless and uneventful.

Take care of yourself,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »
Lyn ~

Great news!  I'm so glad to learn that you're basically O.K.  Thanks for the update.  Now, take it easy and pamper yourself a bit.  You've earned it! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.