Author Topic: newbie hello, guess what i got for christmas??  (Read 13571 times)

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
newbie hello, guess what i got for christmas??
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:51 pm »
howdy all,
please excuse my long-windedness.

first, thanks for this forum. i have been noodling around here, this evening, and have come across a lot of good food for thought. this is a really well-laid-out forum, as far as topic/sub-forums go.    
  congratulations on a job well done. i look forward to reading and RE-reading much, much more here. everyone here seems to be very supportive of one another, thanks in advance.

a little about my course:
   i am 38. (for another month and a half), and have just been diagnosed this tuesday before christmas, after about three weeks of symptoms. i developed a constant tinnitus (mild, i guess), and some mild hearing diminution, friday morning 12/04/09, while readying myself for work that morning.
   i saw an ENT M.D. monday, 3 days later. audiology revealed 20 dB hearing loss in the higher frequencies. we tried about a week's worth of prednisone, which was ineffectual. so we then did an MRI with and without contrast, which was positive, as below in my signature.
   funny thing is, i kinda new the MRI was positive when i was leaving. i mentioned to the technologist i thought i had moved a millimeter (or two) during one scanning phase, and i was curious if they saw any motion artifact. he replied, "no, we got a diagnostic scan" (not a good phrase to hear), and then as i was about to walk out - he asked when my ENT would get the results, and i responded i would see him the next day, to go over it. so taken together i knew it showed something. i had just worked a 12 hour night shift, preceding the scan, and was too tired to look, or press for details, but in my gut i knew it wasnt good.
   i am scheduled for ABRs next week, and will undergo ENG in early january, unless there is a cancellation this week.
   my ENT is arranging for me to be seen by an otologist, Dr McElveen, from raleigh, n.c. (4 hours away) who comes here to greenville, s.c., once a month, to operate and see patients. not yet sure when in january this will be.
   at my request, i will be getting, at a minimum, a 2nd opinion from another otologist, in columbia, s.c. (1.5 hrs away) (Dr Thomas?, i think?)
   3rd, 4th, 5th opinions to be sought as needed, i think dr fukushima at duke, (4 hours away, but doesN'T come here) would be next.

a little about me:
   i am an emergency medicine physician, this makes me a bit more "connected", and has helped with the expedited course of my workup. while it also gave me a head start on some of the broader details of what i am dealing with, it doesn't make the decisions any easier.
   i am a husband of 10 years, and father to a 7, 5, 3 year old. in decent health except for being out of shape / a little overweight.
   my passion is grassroots level car racing, into which i have been delving, for the last two years, so i am actually JUST NOW getting to the competition levels. i have about 45 days on track under my belt, in various ford mustangs. and many more laps to go, i hope.

my concerns:
   while obviously, i want it all (hearing preservation, facial nerve function, and enough vestibular sense to continue racing)  i guess i have to rank-order those 2nd, 1st, and 3rd, in importance, respectively.

my quandries:
   lots of what goes through my mind,for now, is just conjecture, based on what i know, have recently read, and learned from my ENT. things will hopefully be much better delineated once i see a couple of otologists.
   i was reading this article from emedicine.com about 5 minutes after listening to the dictation of my MRI, and confirming my suspicions of my diagnosis.
   as i was reading the downsides of each of the three different surgical approaches, i thought well, i dont want that one, or THAT one, OR that one either!!  --  kinda depressing, as none sound great.

some of my questions:
(1a)  to what degree do neurotologists (being sub-sub specialized surgeons, afterall) tend to generally always recommend surgery, instead of radiation?
(1b)  conversely, to what degree to radiation types, always recommend gamma knife, or linear accelerator therapy, since that is what THEY do, instead of a scalpel?

(1c) the reason i ask these first, is because the article i cited above, made it seem (like an almost instant reflex) like "radiation isn't for me, i want surgery". the article was written by an ent surgeon, and a neurosurgeon. just wondering to what degree they preach that which they practice?, vs being able to recommend radiation, instead of the operating room, if that is what they really think would be better?

(2) ??? does SSD (which i see perhaps too frequently in people's signatures, here) stand for?
   same sided deafness???
(i hope there is a better explanation for this acronym) :-\

if my ABR is normal, and ENG is ABnormal, then this tends to localize the tumor to the SUPERIOR vestibular nerve, which, since it is further removed from the cochlear nerve, chances of hearing preservation are better.
(3a)   so my thought is the sooner i have surgery, the less hearing loss i will incur due to tumor progression, (slow as it my be)  right? ???

and conversely . . .
   if my ABR is normal, and ENG is ABnromal, localizing it to the INFERIOR vestibullar nerve, being closer to the cochlear nerve, hearing is more at risk. then
(3b)  my thought is since hearing is more likely to get trashed . . . do i wait? postponing surgery as long as possible (?years?), enjoy the hearing (with tinnitus) while it lasts? ???

(4) does surgery inherently disrupt vestibular input, into the balance/walking/driving equation? are ALL the vestibular nerves on the affected side cut? just some?

(5a) for a middle fossa approach, what is an average "back to full work" time?
as with everything, i realize the answer is "it depends",
      my ENT said he thought i'd be in the hospital 3-4 days (1st night in icu), and back to work in the e.r. in 7-10 days.
      conversely, i know of an executive, wh0o essentially has a desk job, and he was told 8-10 weeks to go back to work.

in addition to being fast-paced, fatiguing, and very mentally demanding, my work can be pretty physically demanding as well, (suturing, incision and drainages, relocating dislocated joints, applying casts and splints, inserting breathing and occasionally chest tubes, etc.) these are fairly dextrous procedures.

(5b) to what degree does the vestibular defecits after surgery take a toll on dexterity, hand eye coordination? vs just problems with ambulation, position sense, driving?

i typed the above, this afternoon, but hadn't posted it yet, due to wanting to proof-read it.
as a late addition, i have added the below, after a phone call 2 hours ago.

being the impatient type, i phoned a local neurosurgeon acquaintance/friend, as a 'curbside consult'.  
   to my surprise and delight, when i asked if anyone in his group of 6-7 surgeons worked on these, (my goal was really to just bounce some ideas off of him) . . . he responded that these are HIS specialty.
   he is going to look at my scan and i am going to meet with him before his tumor clinic on thursday.  
   he feels, (without having seen my scan yet), that for this small of an AN, (4mm x 7mm), and based on it being located COMPLETELY in the internal auditory canal, . . . that radiation therapy, or perhaps stereotactic surgery would be the way to go.
   he kinda addressed 1a, and (1b) above, indicating that if i spoke to certain dr's they would say i was crazy to consider radiation, and that i should get it cut out.  he, himself is involved with the radiotherapies, and stereotactic surgeries here, . . . and seems to think i'd be crazy to undergo the surgical risks, for such a small benign tumor.

i feel totally adrift, right now. i am reading as much as i can. it seems every time i talk to someone new, or read something else, i feel new ups and downs.  as a physician, i know there is little black and white, everything is shades of gray. everything has pro's and con's, everything "depends", and none of us have a crystal ball.
   i am a pretty empathetic type, with my patients.  it is weird being on this side of the diagnosis, as objectivity is diminished.  
   it has been something of an emotional roller coaster, this week. it also seems difficult at times to keep perspective, it isn't cancer after all. worst case scenario is that i go deaf in one ear, have a facial palsy, sell my race car, and get a new hobby.

i think i am probably really starting to ramble now, so if anyone is still there, thanks for sticking with me, through this stream of consciousness.

jesse

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:28:14 am by neuroma_racer »
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

Kaybo

Re: newbie hello, guess what i got for christmas??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:49 pm »
WHEW!  I made it thru ALL of that!   ;) 

WELCOME!
This is group that I know that you don't want to be part of, but if you have an AN, this is the place to be!  Many Dr's are VERY PARTIAL to what they do so if you can find one that does radiation &/OR surgery, you might get a better answer!  I will just try to answer a couple of your questions and let someone else answer the others.  You were close with SSD - it is Single Sided Deafness - I'd been that way for 12 years before I ever knew that & even after I finally found this Forum - I still thought it was something else!  ;D  Yes, it is NOT what you would WANT, but I find it not so bad.   Others find it more bothersome, but there are many things out there now (BAHA or TransEar) to help with that - they weren't available when I had surgery (translab - 14 yrs ago - I was 25) so I just pretty much adjusted.  #5a - I think, especially with your job, that 7-10 days is VERY, VERY optimistic!  Jan (leapyrtwins) had a GREAT recovery and was back at work at 2 weeks 1/2 days at her DESK JOB...
Please feel free to ask any questions (guess you did!) or PM me if I can help you in any way!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:36:03 pm »
jesse -

there's a lot to digest in your post, so I'll just hit on a few things that stand out in my mind.

With an AN your size (small) you have basically 3 options: 1) watch & wait - most ANs are very slow growing, 2) radiation, or 3) surgery.  Location may have some bearing on this.   As you suspect, if you wait to get treatment, your hearing may get worse, but that may take many, many years.  We have folks on the Forum who have been watching and waiting for a fairly long period of time.

My doc is a neurotologist and he does both surgery and radiation (GK), but you are correct.  Some docs "push" the treatment they offer, so make sure you get a well-rounded opinion or opinions.  The ANA has some excellent literature that you should request; in my opinion, much better than the stuff you're reading on emedicine.com

Of the doctors you listed, I have heard of the one @ Duke.  But then again, I'm in Illinois and I'm not 100% familiar with doctors in your area.

SSD (single-sided deafness) isn't the end of the world.  Lots of patients adjust to it; those of us who don't get BAHAs or TransEars.  I'm a die-hard BAHA user myself  ;D

Surgery will damage your vestibular nerve, but your body learns to compensate and your balance will get back to normal for the most part.  We have many Forumites who run marathons, ride bicycles, participate in standup paddleboarding, etc. 

Most docs will tell you that surgery, regardless of the approach, generally means 4-7 days in the hospital and 6 weeks recovery - but every patient is unique and these are just general paramenters.  As Kaybo mentioned, I had a great recovery and returned to my desk job part-time @ 2 1/2 weeks post op and full-time @ 4 weeks.  We've had people back posting on the Forum a week after their surgery.  Everyone is different and everyone's AN journey is different.

If you think you want to have surgery, and your hearing is pretty decent, you should ask the docs you consult with if the mid-fossa approach would be a possibility for you.  Of the three surgical approaches mid-fossa gives you the best chance of hearing preservation, followed by retrosigmoid, followed by translab.

On the other hand, with an AN as small as yours, radiation would be a very good choice.

You are the best person to make your treatment decision once you educate yourself.  Treatment decisions are very personal decisions.  We're here to support you in whatever choice you make.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:49:39 pm »
Hi Jesse,

Since you have been long winded, I will be brief. Get it zapped. :)

A little more commentary. The vestibular testing will reveal something about where the AN is, and may be a predictor of hearing preservation, though I am not sure it correlates all that well. More important, though, it appears that you do not presently have significant balance or dizziness issues. The one drawback of radiation treatment is that it generally doesn't affect the balance nerve one way or the other. Surgery, on the other hand, usually cuts the balance nerve on the AN side. After a period of adjustment, most people readjust to a single balance nerve quite well, though tight-rope walking is not a recommended occupation. If you have significant balance issues, surgery will do more to address that problem.

Your neurosurgeon friend is quite right, many surgeons tend to recommend surgery, and many radiation oncologists tend to recommend radiation treatment. Though we are often disappointed by that, we really shouldn't be surprised by it, and it is in the end your call, not theirs.

For a small AN, the chances of adverse side effects from stereotactic radiation treatment, i.e. Gammaknife or Cyberknife, are really quite small, and the chance of hearing preservation is pretty good. Unless you are having serious vertigo or dizziness, I would get a small AN like yours zapped. That's what I did, and I am very happy with that choice.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope to hear about your car racing escapades shortly.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:57:36 pm »
The one drawback of radiation treatment is that it generally doesn't affect the balance nerve one way or the other.
how is that a drawback?
cyberknife 8/'12

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:00:38 am »
The one drawback of radiation treatment is that it generally doesn't affect the balance nerve one way or the other.
how is that a drawback?

If you are having dizziness or vertigo problems before treatment, there is a significant chance that the problems would continue after radiation treatment, since the damaged balance nerve is still there and still damaged. Sometimes people do adjust afterwards, but sometimes it is difficult.

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:06:25 am »
Get it zapped. :)

I agree with Steve - but only if you are the type of person who can "live" with this option.

I had the option of radiation or surgery and chose surgery.  I personally could not have lived my life worrying and wondering if the tumor inside of my head was dying or not.  Every little twinge or headache would have made me second guess my decision.  But then again I'm a worrier - and I'm very impatient.

I am also the type of person who just wanted the darn thing out of my head; end of story; let me get on with my life, etc.  I wanted to know my side-effects upfront, not wait 12 to 18 months to see what I'd "get".

There were other factors that made me choose surgery over radiation; these are just a few.

Radiation is an excellent choice for some; surgery is an excellent choice for some; watch & wait is an excellent choice for some.  To each his own  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:58 am »
Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the forum, and I hope to hear about your car racing escapades shortly.  ;)

Steve

thanks

here ya go:
these are two links to some posts and videos in my 2008 bullit edition mustang.
i have an instructor with me, as i am working my way up the drivers ed ladder.

to date i am about 2 seconds quickier with the same setup,
have been soloing for about 14-15 months,
just started time trial competion in november this year
(we arent really racing one another in driver's ed)
will be getting my instructor licensce in february,
and hope to be doing actual wheel to wheel racing by this summer ( as opposed to time trialing, where you are just trying for the single best lap-time in your class)

1st video, and still pics, and track map
2nd and 3rd video

in addition to carolina motorsports park, i also do a good bit at virginia international raceway, road atlanta, have been on lowes motor speedway, and will include robeling road in savanah, Ga, this year as well.

new race car, a 98 musstang cobra, is about 60% ready to go.

hope you enjoy the videos.
cyberknife 8/'12

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:21 am »
how is that a drawback?

If you are having dizziness or vertigo problems before treatment, there is a significant chance that the problems would continue after radiation treatment, since the damaged balance nerve is still there and still damaged. Sometimes people do adjust afterwards, but sometimes it is difficult.

Steve
no vertigo, no dizziness, no issues pulling 1 G turns at 60+mph
top speed in the last video is abuot 118.

your note above seems to suggest that if i dont now, i probably wont later.

to be honest, part of me(undisclosed percentage) would rather be deaf in one ear, and still be able to smile, keep soup in my mouth, blink and race cars. ( than be vestibularly screwed up)

SSD could open a whole treasure trove of excuses for not doing stuff i dontr want to , (heh-heh)
cyberknife 8/'12

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 01:11:43 am »
your note above seems to suggest that if i dont now, i probably wont later.

That was my experience, and the experience of others who had radiation for their AN.

I think it is fair to say that SSD is the least problematic of the possible outcomes. And yes, it sometimes even has advantages.  :D

I have a friend who used to race Alfas. I really don't know that much about car racing, but from the videos, I would say you seem to be getting the hang of it. It certainly looks like fun.

Steve

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:08:37 am »
Well, let's see.  You already engage in risky behavior, so I'm not sure what you're worried about.   ;D
I had hoped to use FSR for my treatment one day and went carelessly down the W&W path.  But, Wham-O, it doubled in size in the 7th year, so off to the OR.
You are very fortunate to have been diagnosed early and have plenty of time to consider your options and join this wonderful group of friends.
But, please don't encourage Steve to race cars.  We need our hats!   ::)

Steve, stick to knitting, please.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

suboo73

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:25:52 am »
   funny thing is, i kinda new the MRI was positive when i was leaving.   jesse

Hi Jesse and WELCOME!  So sorry you had to join this exclusive club, but know that you are not alone.
The folks here are FANTASTIC, as you are finding out - so keep posting!

I am so happy your symptoms were not ignored and the docs took action quickly.  Me, i would not be diagnosed if it were not for my sister's ENT!
Anyway, i had my MRI and then i waited and waited.  Finally couldn't stand it anymore and retrieved the report.  And oh, gee, guess what they found...

Now i am in W & W, didn't think i would like it, but it feels right at least for now.  I have had one case of vertigo last January, seemed to last forever (maybe 1 minute!) and don't want to experience that on a regular basis.  Over the last year, i have also learned that (as many others have said) you have to prioritize your goals of AN treatment then go with your 'gut instinct' and move on.

One thing i like right now is i feel more in control with the knowledge i have gained thru this forum.
Keep reading - but don't forget to take a break when you need it - there's ALOT of information to sift thru.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, wife & children, and your extended family.
Enjoy the new year and keep us posted on your progress.
Sincerely,

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:37 am »
Jesse .....

Just wanted to add my welcome to this forum.  You have already had excellent replies to your interesting posts.  I agree with Jan that the bottom line is whether you can handle having the AN remain in your skull following radiation as opposed to being removed during surgery.  Hopefully it will shrink after radiation (although there is often a period of swelling first following radiation).

I also wanted to say Dr. Fukushima totally removed my 2.6 cm AN and I had excellent results and would highly recommend him if you choose to go that route.  However, with an AN as small as yours, I would definitely consider radiation.  As the others have said, most doctors have a preferred treatment for ANs and thus "push" their treatment.  From the sounds of yours, you should have all options open to you.  Hearing will not get better, in most cases, following treatment so from that standpoint it is the gauge for staying or not staying in wait and watch very long.

Send the for ANA-USA materials, they answer many of the questions you have ..... much better than the biased articles on the Internet.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 08:22:18 am »
Jesse,   Your ENT doesn't have a clue about recovery from AN surgery!     I am now a retired nurse from a smaller rural hospital and have NF2 so been thru 3 tumors and 4 surgeries.     I was back to work in 2 months after all but my last surgery as had retired.  That was 20 mo ago and am 57.   I have had surgery on both sides and now no balance nerve on either side.     You would have to be with me for a while to even see that as I do pretty good but have problems under certain conditions.             You usually do recover well with the loss of only one nerve but it does take time for the body to compensate,esp with only having a small AN.               One can adjust to being SSD.   That varies with each person.          The odds of if have some facial issues is that would be temporary.       What the tumor is doing to the facial nerve is part of how it can be post op.           I had no facial problem after my last surgery.            
Just make sure if one has surgery to do it with a dr who does them on a frequent basis!      I am in Iowa and lucky we have a neurotologist at Univ of Iowa who does.                     You do learn more of how a patient feels after going thru the AN journey.    
Good luck and it is a hard decision to make about what is best for you!                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:19:27 am »
Hi, Jesse, welcome to the site!  You've already received a good bit of advice/info, so I just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that my mom lives in Greenville, so I'm up that way  periodically (I'm in Atl).  I'll send you a PM with my phone number - feel free to give me a call.  Also, at some point, if you'd like, you're more than welcome to come to Atl for our support group meeting.  I don't think there is one in the Greenville area at this time.  We also have a few docs in Atl who are AN savvy, if you want to venture down to GA for some treatment advice :D

You are in the toughest stage of this journey - the decision making process...it is tough, but once made, life goes on and usually quite fine!

Cindy 
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings