Author Topic: newbie hello, guess what i got for christmas??  (Read 13568 times)

moe

Re: newbie hello, guess what i got for christmas??
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 11:54:54 am »
Welcome Jesse,
Just chiming in. You are right on track, and ON TOP of everything.
If you need to just take a day or 2 off to breathe, the tumor ain't going anywhere.
With the small size of your AN, and minimal symptoms, I agree with Steve
ZAP  IT

This is THE hardest part  and just keep continue to do your homework.

Once you figure out what treatment, and who and where, and when you will feel TONS better.

Facial nerve damage usually only occurs with large tumors that have totally squashed everything.

Unfortunately, in my case, my tumor was not HUGE, just large. But the symptoms were so insidious and slow, that I just ignored them for YEARS.
The docs mentioned it should have come out 5-10 years ago.
SO you will ACE this thing, I am certain, and be able to do just what you are doing now.

Hang in there. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

moe

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 11:55:42 am »
THAT RED block should read

ZAP IT!!!!!!!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 02:00:47 pm »
Welcome Jesse!

I enjoyed your post as I had all of the same feelings and concerns. Most people I spoke with prior to this forum didn't really want to discuss all of the details of my tumour, the surgery or the possible complications. It is too overwhelming for some and I found that most people just wanted to know that I was going to be okay.

I love the fact that I can discuss 'trivial things' (not my words my spouses ,as he is happy I am alive) that concern me and get the reassurance and information that I may need have been so valuable. There are times that I need to know that I am not alone and I just go to the forum - 24/7.

I researched like crazy and I am not a doctor but a primary teacher but needed to arm myself with as much information as I could get my hands on. Saying that even with all of the research I did and talked to many doctors I have learned more from people who have experienced this tumour.

Knowledge is power and getting it from many sources will be beneficial!
Cyber Hug
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 05:07:00 pm »
Hi, Jesse - and welcome.

Although you've posed a lot of pertinent questions, you've already received some cogent replies so I'll simply extend a sincere welcome and my appreciation for your preparedness and logical, realistic approach to dealing with your AN. 

Radiation seems to be the more 'attractive' option for you but of course, that remains to be seen.  The many AN-experienced folks that have and will continue to offer you advice and suggestions based on their real-world experience should be beneficial to your decision process.  We aren't physicians but collectively, we have a wide rage of practical experience in dealing with these small-but-challenging tumors.  Our members are willing, even eager to share that experience with a goal of helping you make a treatment decision that is best for you, in your situation.  You're definitely among friends here, Jesse.  Friends that understand and can truly empathize with what you're going through because they've been in your shoes.  I hope you'll continue to consider the ANA website and these forums as a resource. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 06:15:07 pm »
Welcome Jesse and I think that being a physician makes things harder for you....You know too much! Trust your instincts. My tumor was there for 10-15 YEARS before it was discovered. Looking back I see all the symptoms but it wasn't until 4 months before surgery that I had facial numbness and dizziness. It was 4 cm btw.

Research your options and pick the most optimal for you. Best of luck to you...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ginger21

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »
HI JESSE,

I TO AM A NEWBIE HERE I WAS DIAGNOSED IN NOVEMBER 09. MY AN IS SMALL ONLY 4MM. I HAVE TO SAY AFTER FINDING THIS FORUM AN ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND READING ALOT OF ARTICALS ABOUT ANS. I HAVE COME TO THE CONCULTION TO JUST ZAP IT. I AM WITH YOU I DONT HAVE BALANCE ISSUES OR FACAL ISSUES, I HAVE LOST ALOT OF HEARING THOUGH. SO MY THOUGHT IS KILL THE THING AND GET A HEARING AID. I HAVE A CONSULT WITH THE DOCTORS THE END OF JANUARY ABOUT MY RADIATION.
JUST KEEP COMING BACK HERE EVERYONE IS GREAT AND THEY AWAYS ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS AND WILL GIVE YOU THEIR STORY, FOR ME I HAVE FOUND THIS SO HELPFUL.

GINGER
W & W as of 01/27/2010 keeping my fingers crossed for the next 6 months
4mm AN-right side
www.facebook.com/gingerleigh72

Tamster

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:20 am »
Welcome Jesse,
My surgery was just 3 weeks ago today at House Ear Institute. My AN was .6 cm, so like yours, was also small. It was attached to the inferior vestibular nerve, and as your comment suggested, this DID make it more difficult to preserve my hearing. I am now SSD with an increase in tinnitus. My diagnosis was September 22. in October, I had a lot of motion sickness, symptoms made worse by the stress of the diagnosis, I'm sure. In October, once I'd made my decision, I was practically symptom-free. I'll be posting my progress later today on the site listed in my signature, but at 3 weeks out, I am nowhere ready to return to work. Give me another week, and I might be able to do light work on a part-time basis. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to ask questions.

Tammy
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

cyrmom2

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:56 pm »
Welcome Jesse! 
I wanted to zap my AN but it was too large.  Surgery was not awful but why have it if you have other options?  I know some would rather have the tumor completely removed but surgery does not guarantee that.

Best wishes with your decision making process,
Cyndi

PS - my family lives in NC (Holden Beach, Wilmington & Durham) so I wish I were there too!
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

heyct

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »
Hi Jesse,

Welcome to our special club:)

It is true you have to go w/your gut on which procedure you want. It's true, surgeons recommend surgery, gamma/ck guys recommend zapping the thing.

My AN was small also, only it didn't end up being an AN, but a hemangioma. They could not tell this from the MRI & I often wonder what would've happened if they zapped it, only to find out there was never a core to this supposed tumor. I'm glad I chose surgery. I heard that CT scans can detect hemangiomas better. It would be a good question for your neurosurgeon friend.

Best of luck in your decision making,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Vivian B.

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »
Hi Jesse,

I see that you already received some great advice. After being diagnosed you feel like you are in a roller coaster ride and can't come off it. The most difficult thing is making a decision on treatment. It's great that you were diagnosed early. I was told by the team that is folllowing me during my W & W period, that regardless of what treatment I choose, they cannot guarantee the outcome as far as symptoms are concernced. They actually said that they could not confirm if symptoms would get better or worse but supposedly, whatever symptoms you have prior to treatment is most likely what you will end up with after treatment. I think they were being very honest and fair in their assumption. However, as you can see everyone has done well, some with more bumpy roads than others but overall, with good results. Let us know what you have decided.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37:23 pm »
Hi Jesse,

You have already PM me so you know who I am.  I am with Steve....get it ZAPPED.  But, I think Jan is equally right to suggest that some people just need to know that the AN is out of there.  I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who does three treatments:  GK, CK and surgery.  He explained them all in detail and gave me the choice.  However, he said he felt more comfortable with GK....but, I think that is just his "thing"!  Research and just go with your gut, and remember that everyone is different, has different outcomes and handle things in different ways (for me, it was more emotional than anything else).  I'll PM you more later.  You are in a good place to get info here.  Just don't overdo it is all I can recommend.  I was obsessed with the board for quite a while before I made my decision on treatment (as many of you might remember), and it would have helped if I had stepped back for a while to keep from being on overload all of the time.  Steve always recommended that I shut the computer down for a couple of weeks, but I setted on a couple of days!!!  Or....was it hours!!!

Best Wishes!

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 11:42:09 pm »
thanks for all the responses and support.
my wife, mom, and two closest buddies are doing good jobs of listening, and keeping up with big words
wife is a (essentially) retired physical therapist ( now full time mom x3) so she is fairly savvy on the medical stuff.
plus, a home bound PT will be good to have once something is done.

it is also good having this board to vent and post questions to.
thanks.

i remember when graduating from residency, i was torn between staying  there and joining the staff where i had just trained, where we had just gotten married, where we ( and her parents both lived) and where we still had two houses. . .
vs moving to somewhere else.
   it was going to be a tough, tough decision, one i didn't really relish making,   
and in the end, when the position there in columbia evaporated, i came to greenville, and didn't have to make a decision at all. it was made for me.
it was actually quite a relief, and i must say we both LOVE it here, and i know i like it here more than i would have staying in columbia.

i usually think of myself as being pretty decisive, about things. having a difficult time feeling it right now.
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 08:17:49 am »
i usually think of myself as being pretty decisive, about things. having a difficult time feeling it right now.

Deciding on your treatment option is sometimes the hardest part of the whole AN journey; you'll get there in time.

Lots of us, me included, went with our gut reaction; sometimes you just know when it's right.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 09:48:03 pm »
Jessie,

This is just a suggestion, but it has really worked for me.  Through this discussion board I was able to find some folks here in the Denver area, and I was able to pick their brains (literally) about the options available in the Denver area and out of state.  There are four of us.  One guy had almost the same situation as mine, and I ended up going with his doctor at the same facility.  He had GK about six months before I did, and he basically walked me through the whole thing.  We keep in touch through email around MRI time.  He is doing very well, and we are both getting good followup care.  I have also met two other ladies in the area who had their ANs treated around the time I had mine done. Even though their situation was different than mine (they had surgery),  we have bonded over just having an AN and also sharing our experiences about things to do here in Denver area....like where to go camping, restaurants, etc!!!  We have met for lunch a couple of times, and it has just been great to have these friendships that developed out of having a stupid AN.  I also met another woman in AL, and we have become really good email friends (plus, it's nice that I lived in AL for 8 years so we can relate that way).  She had GK at Pittsburgh, and she has had a difficult time post GK, but she also has a lot of other medical issues going on that might be affecting her situation.  This board is a great support and a wonderful way to gather information, but I have found it supportive in a more personal way by finding a few folks to bond with off the discussion board.

You have PM me a few times, and I will be happy to share other PMs with you....especially if you go the GK way!  Take a deep breath and enjoy that car of yours.  It is great to have distractions!!!  And, when this is all said and done, I am sure you will find that you see life in a different way....hopefully in a positive way.  Best wishes.

Happy New Year,

Nancy

Oh, and Cindy in the Atlanta area....you are the best, too.  I didn't mean to leave you out in my post above.
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:23 am »
My first thought, Jesse, is BOY, are we gonna have fun with this guy!! A doctor!!  Who found this board!!  Do you know that a lot of the doctors tell patients NOT to visit these forums because they are afraid that only the patients with bad outcomes post on here?  But we have all kinds on here, so it's good.  Welcome.  Kind of different when you are on the patient end of things.  We actually have had several doctors on here in the last few years.  One doctor even has a dog who was diagnosed with an AN.  Weird, but true.

You are getting great advice.  Hang in there.  It'll be okay.

Sue in Vancouver, WA  USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode