Author Topic: Plates and screws..........  (Read 9814 times)

WHWT

Plates and screws..........
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:02:23 pm »
Does anyone know the size of the titanium plates and screws that are used to close up the skull following AN surgeries?  Dr. Stieg and Dr. Selesnick performed my surgery (retrosigmoid suboccipital), and I never asked.  Now I'm just curious.  Thanks.
Retrosigmoid suboccipital surgery for 1.3 cm AN in 2005.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Plates and screws..........
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:22:52 pm »
Great question!  I don't have the answer, but in searching for the answer, I came across this PDF.  http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/UTSW/staticFile/org/Medical_Services/Skull_Base_Surgery/Acoustic_Neuroma_patient_info.pdf

It seemed to be a very good overview of an AN, treatment options, post-treatment complications, etc..  It's somewhat surgery-leaning (more info on complications to surgery and none listed for radiation, for example), but overall it seemed pretty good information.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:57:14 pm »
my hole was just filled up with my fat and closed over...no screws no plates
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:10 pm »
With the middle fossa the doctor sets the squared piece of skull that was cut for entry back into the opening. I was told by the doctor that he used 3 small titanium square plates with 2 holes in each square. This is where I'll guess; He places each of the 3 squares, one onto the top, front, and rear of the opening leaving the bottom of the opening without a plate or screws. I'll guess the reason for not placing a plate and screws along the bottom is because the ear is there. With the retro they would probably not put the plate and screws into the front of the opening. Front being your face.

My guess
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

kristin

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:45:36 pm »
That's what I was told too... 3 plates, 6 screws.
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
Good question, but one I never thought of asking.  Anyone care to volunteer for a quick X-Ray?  Does it show up in the follow-up MRI scans?
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:43:56 pm »
Good question, but one I never thought of asking.  Anyone care to volunteer for a quick X-Ray?  Does it show up in the follow-up MRI scans?

I don't know about conventional x-rays, but the plates and screws used in AN surgeries are made out of titanium, therefore, they don't show up on MRIs.

The same goes for a BAHA abutment - it's titanium also and doesn't show up either.

I know this from experience  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 07:45:31 am »
I to had my surgery with the same surgeons 5 months ago and I was advised before surgery it was a small square but after surgery I did not ask how many were put in.  I would love for you to IM so we can go into more details about our surgery with the same doctors many questions to ask and to know how you are doing..

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

staypoz

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 03:11:16 pm »
The plates do show up on x-rays -- they look like mesh or netting.

staypoz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:50 pm »
The plates do show up on x-rays -- they look like mesh or netting

Cool  8)  I've always been disappointed that I couldn't see my "hardware" or the fat in my head on my annual MRIs. 

Perhaps I just have a warped sense of humor, though  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
Perhaps I just have a warped sense of humor, though  :D

Just for the record, YOU said it.. Not me... for once.  ;)  Loves ya Jan!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

vcschaub

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:29 am »
The "plates" are really small bars that are placed across the bone cuts where the piece of skull was removed to get to the tumor. When the bone is replaced the bars are placed across the bone cut and attached with a screw on each end. Mine were removed 2 years after surgery and I saw them, they were about 3/4 inch long with tiny screws on each end. There were 3 "plates" each with 2 screws.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10:13 pm »
The "plates" are really small bars that are placed across the bone cuts where the piece of skull was removed to get to the tumor. When the bone is replaced the bars are placed across the bone cut and attached with a screw on each end. Mine were removed 2 years after surgery and I saw them, they were about 3/4 inch long with tiny screws on each end. There were 3 "plates" each with 2 screws.

vcshaub, just curious but why were they removed?
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

lori67

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »
I think it's safe to say that they are smaller than a breadbox.   ;D

It's also safe to say that Jan has a warped sense of humor.   :P

Lori 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

vcschaub

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:02 pm »
My plates were removed because my scalp was very sensitive and I could feel them through the scalp. I was having a lot of headaches in that area. I consulted with my surgeon, Dr Brackmann, who felt it might not help to remove them but it would not hurt either. He said that it is very rare to remove them. I live in Florida so they were removed at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. I am happy to report that the scalp tenderness disappeared and I get very few headaches.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear