Author Topic: Tumor Now Regrowing......Now What?  (Read 10054 times)

swhite

Tumor Now Regrowing......Now What?
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:49 am »
Just when I thought I was getting better from my surgery 8/27/09, I was told Tuesday by my neurosurgeon my tumor, which we knew a very small section was left to spare permanent nerve damage back then, is regrowing and is less than an inch.  I saw another neurosurgeon (specializing in gamma knife) yesterday and he gave us so much information, it is overwhelming.  He's suggesting gamma knife but it may risk my facial nerve permanently (none of which has come back so far), since the growth is so close to the facial nerve.  I'm thankful my husband and cousin were with me.  I understand gamma knife can't be used on tumors larger than an inch, so I don't know how much time I have for it to grow.  My anxiety is heightened and unlike my surgery in August (no prior symptoms and rushed into ER with stroke like symptoms), now I'm faced with choices much like alot of AN patients.  I attended my 1st support group here in Michigan a few weeks back and will make some telephone calls, but thought I'd make a posting because I don't know where to turn.  I haven't been on the forum for some time focusing on physical therapy and trying to get my life back.  I am considering sending a copy of my MRI to House (LA) for a free consult (it's offered on their website).  Is this worth it?  I am seeing another ENT (also specializes is ANs) next Tuesday for another opinion.  Any help and encouragement is appreciated :) Trying to stay positive...
Retrosigmoid 8/27/09 undiagnosed and suddenly; no symptoms prior; approx. 4cmx2cmx2cm; right-side, facial paralysis/weakness, SSD and tinnitus. Baha surgery 11/9/10.
Gamma Knife 8/11/14 at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford after regrowth detected June 2014

tenai98

Re: Tumor Now Regrowing......Now What?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:31 am »
I'm in the same boat...my ENT just booked me with two radiologist on dec 31...it looks like my tumor went from 1.4 cm pre surgery to 1.6cm 6 months post surgery....it is over whelming. I'm hoping for cyberknife, but only one machine is available in Canada, so I may have to go with gammaknife.  it is very confusing and like you trying to stay positive. one step at a time, one day at a time, and repeat, its not cancerous, its not cancerous,......i will pull thru this one way or another and go on with life...I keep telling myself, its curable and doable and livable and so many are worse off  with cancer that I thank the Lord for this tumor being bening....
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Sobes

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:59 am »
Swhite & Jo,

I'm so sorry to read that your tumors are being sassy and growing!! Makes me feel very bad and wish there was something I could do for you :( You are both in my thoughts and constant prayers! Please let me know what you decide for treatment and give updates on how things are progressing?!

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:12:09 am »
I am so sorry to hear about the regrowth I am sure you will get many informative replies the only thing I feel is that it doesn't hurt in sending the MRI to (LA) so many people have gone there with such great success stories.

My prayers are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:16:07 am »
I have two comments. First, if your surgery was in August, it is early to be saying that the residual is regrowing. It may just be a bigger bit than they thought. Second, if it is growing, just get Gammaknife or Cyberknife. There may be some risk to the facial nerve, as there would be with surgery as well, but the facial nerve is generally resistant to radiation. The swelling can cause some issues, but permanent facial nerve damage is rare with radiation treatments.

Sorry to hear the news, but I still think the final outcome will be okay.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:56:26 am »
  I am considering sending a copy of my MRI to House (LA) for a free consult (it's offered on their website).  Is this worth it? 

Yes, many of us have found that a very worthwhile thing to do -- whether or not you eventually go to House for treatment.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

another NY postie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:17 pm »
I am so sorry you got this news and can only imagine how distressing this is since you just had surgery! :-\  You are sure to hear from others who have experienced regrowth and what their experience has been.  From what I have read from some, the cyber or gamma  for residual tumor growth has been quite successful.

I went to House for my surgery and if you do send your films, know that you can request a specific doctor from HEI.  After much research and reading people's experience on this site, I had requested either Dr. Brackmann or Dr. Friedman, and ended up working with Dr. Brackmann who I can't say enough good things about.  As far as I know, though, they don't do radiation although the neurologist they work with, Dr. Schwartz might.  They truly have seen it all, so it would be interesting just to get their opinion and it is free!  Good luck - I am praying for you!

Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »
So sorry you are having to deal with some regrowth.  I'm with Steve that it seems like they may have left more than first measured, instead of rapid regrowth.  It really does not change the fact that whatever is left needs to be stopped from growing.  Unless you have other risk factors, it seems like cyber or gamma knife is the way to go to stop it.  There are a couple of excellent radiation centers in the country (Stanford and Pittsburgh, for two) that would be worth contacting for an evaluation.  Your situation was unusual from the start so you want the most experienced professionals you can find for advice now.

Best thoughts and continued prayer.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

CF

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »
I'm sorry to hear the news for both of you. I was just confirmed this week I have a VESTIBULAR schwannoma (I'm imbalanced, and I don't mean just mentally lol  :D). I learned that typically, these grow so slowly that the brain compensates and most folks don't feel any type of imbalance; rather they have hearing issues and that's what triggers their seeing a doctor. In my case, it is concluded that mine is growing faster than normal ..... faster than my brain can compensate, hence my imbalance, and this is less common to see a doctor for balance reasons. My imbalance is not debilitating yet .... my quality of life, though, is deteriorating and I know this imbalance is getting more intense each day (it feels like it). Before it was a passing, random feeling. Now it's from the moment I get up from a bed .... until I sleep from fatigue.

I've opted to get the surgery .... complete removal .... as radiation I was told may make worse my balance, or if any improvement expected, won't be felt for quite some time (possibly 12-18 months). The net effect IMO is that I have this radiation and I get no results - I remain the imbalanced individual that I am! This is specific to my situation only ..... increasing imbalance (no significant hearing loss although I feel fullness in the ear) ..... radiation for my situation is not something I think I can consider if I want an immediate change. So, I'm going for full surgical removal of that bad boy.

I'm curious. Tenai98, is there regrowth because you went with an initial partial removal as swhite did? Or do you have a full removal but now it's grown back?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:11:27 pm »
S White ~

I'm sorry to learn of this alleged re-growth, although much like Steve and Clarice, I'm a tad skeptical that what is showing up on the MRI is, in reality, regrowth and not simply the same AN whose size may have been under-estimated  prior to your surgery.  Unfortunately, when it comes to acoustic neuromas, no one can guarantee anything but in your shoes, I would very likely opt to have the Gamma Knife procedure and not fret needlessly about a possible re-growth.  Whether there is growth or not, the radiation should destroy the remaining tumor's DNA, ending any chances at re-growth.  Of course there are risks involved with the radiation, mainly swelling, but that cannot be avoided.  Try not to become too distraught.  This is treatable and although it may take awhile, you will get your life back.  Besides, with all of us rooting for you, things have to work out.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

swhite

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
Thank you all for your encouragement.  I'm a bit skeptical too about how much may have been left behind from my surgery initially in August.  Nevertheless, I'm seeing an ENT here in Michigan (Dr. Monsell) next Tuesday, whom did a fellowship at House.  He's well-known here and highly recommended.  I'll take my MRI and get his opinion.  I've seen him once, but now that I've had my 3-month MRI, we have more information to go on.  No doubt I'll have to have gammaknife, but that's better than going under a real knife (again)! Trying to stay positive still and struggling with all that needs to get done for the holidays :(
Retrosigmoid 8/27/09 undiagnosed and suddenly; no symptoms prior; approx. 4cmx2cmx2cm; right-side, facial paralysis/weakness, SSD and tinnitus. Baha surgery 11/9/10.

sues1953

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:30 am »
Im sorry about your ordeal, I think they may be on to something when said that the original size may have been wrong.  I am new to all of this being diagnosed just last month.  Where in MI do you live?  I have not been able to find a support group.  I am seeing LaRouere from the MI Ear Inst.  Have you consulted them?
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

GRACE1

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:32:19 am »
Swhite & Jo,

I am sorry both of you are having this issue.  Please update us.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

swhite

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:20 pm »
Update............I've sought an opinion from University of Michigan (Dr. Telian) and am currently seeing Dr. Monsell (ENT).  Both say radiation now is out of the question since recent MRI's do not really confirm "regrowth" and I am much too young.  I also did seek the opinion of an associate of the neurosurgeon whom did my surgery in August, but my husband and I didn't care for his bed-side manor and he was way too aggressive with his approach (he wanted to do radiation this month!).  In fact, he told me I wouldn't get any facial nerves back and low and behold, January 3rd, my first facial movement in my cheek started to occur!  We are thrilled.  We originally thought it was regrowth back in December when I went for my 3-month follow up with the neurosurgeon who did my surgery, but it could very well be post-op healing still.  At almost 5 months, it's too early to tell due to the size of the tumor removed in August.  I do feel better about this.  I sent my information to House last week and am awaiting a telephone call for their opinion. 

cyrmom2

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:45:21 pm »
swhite,

I am so thrilled to read your latest update!!!  Our surgeries were a few days apart so I've followed your posts closely. 

Hope your recovery continues to  progress well,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.