Author Topic: Waiting period for hearing aid after treatment?  (Read 2773 times)

lholl36233

Waiting period for hearing aid after treatment?
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:00 pm »
Hi,

I am about to finish my proton treatment.  I will ask the Dr. this but I thought I'd ask here first.  Do you have to wait a certain about of time after treatment before you start the process to find the correct hearing aid?  Is there any reason to wait?

Thank you.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Waiting period for hearing aid after treatment?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:33:23 pm »
I'm not sure, but my inclination here is that you don't need to wait.

I had to wait to get my BAHA, but I had surgery and my head had to heal.  Obviously that doesn't apply in your case  :)

I'd see what your doctor thinks.

Congratulations on finishing your treatment  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »
Hi,

I will finish my proton treatment next Tuesday so today was the last chance to ask the Dr. my questions since he only sees patients on Wednesdays.  I saw his resident who is a very nice kid. ;D

Here is my dilema.  I believe my hearing has ever so slightly improved.  Using the home phone, I used to hear nothing on my left ear.  Now, I can make out some of the words at a low volume.  I asked when I should go for a hearing test and to see about hearing aids.  The resident said it was up to me.

Should I give it more time to see if there might be further improvement or should I go for a hearing test soon to see where I am at?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »
Laura ~

I think it's wonderful that you believe your hearing has at least marginally improved.  On that basis, I would definitely schedule a hearing test to, as you stated, find out 'where you are'.  If your hearing has even slightly improved, great!  If not, at least you'll know and can deal with that on a realistic basis.  Of course, I'm rooting for you to have regained at least some hearing.  It's totally your decision to make but if it were me, I would have the audiiological examination.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:08:55 pm »
Jim,

Your word is good enough for me.  I'll schedule the audiologist appointment and let you know how it turns out.

Laura

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »
You know how a radio sounds when you are trying to tune in a station that might be a bit too far away to come in clearly?  There is alot of static.  You catch some of the words but not all and the volume in a little too low.

That is what the hearing in my bad ear sounds like know.  It is bad but it is better than non existent.

I will call for a hearing test soon.

Laura

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:09:53 pm »
Laura .....

I'm a little late on this thread ..... but here's my 2 cents worth:

My neurosurgeon said to wait six months after surgery for my hearing to settle down before checking about a hearing aid, so I did.  Now, I do not know why ..... I have a MicroTech Curve 7 hearing aid and the audiologist has fine tuned the programming on it whenever I have felt the need.  If this is the case, why not get the hearing aid as soon as you can and then it will be just a matter of reprogramming your unit if your hearing changes?????  Make sure your hearing aid is fully refundable if you find it does not do what you think it will ..... most have a trial period of at least 90 days.  If you are having a lot of static, it is possible the audiologist can tune out those frequencies, but perhaps not.  Actually the "static" you are hearing may be tinnitus and alas, that is totally unrelated to hearing or hearing aids and will be your new friend.   :(

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011