Author Topic: "Contact" sports after surgery?  (Read 6613 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
"Contact" sports after surgery?
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:01:52 pm »
I know there are many people who are very active following surgery, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with contact sports post-op. My doc didn't give me any restrictions after my 6 week post op check, but then again I didn't ask him about it, either.
The reason I'm asking is I'd like to see if I could learn to roller-skate and one day do roller derby. Of course I'd have a helmet and all, if I could even manage the staying upright on skates thing (not sure I could have done it pre-op!), but any reason why it would be a dumb idea to even try?
Any post-brain-surgery football players?  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: "Contact" sports after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:04:08 pm »
I'd definitely check with your doctor before engaging in any contact sports.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »
Nikki ~

Good question - and one I haven't seen before (or don't recall, anyway).  If by ‘some day’ you mean 'in the next few months' I seriously doubt your doctor would agree.  Contact sports following brain surgery and a repaired skull seems to be pushing your luck - but who knows?  You might be just fine (with a helmet, of course).  Let us know what your doctor says.  I'm curious as to his reaction.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »
I concur that you should check with your doctor.  Mine said that everything I was feeling good enough to do, was OK with him.  He didn't put any restrictions on, and told me that my body would handle what I could/couldn't do.  I asked specifically about soccer, which normally wouldn't be a 'contact' sport-but you should see some of the stuff those fellow moms try to get away with! LOL.  It's rough, rough, rough at times!  He said that was fine (and no helmut req'd. :-))

But yes, check with *your* doctor, as he's the only one with specific knowledge of *your* case.

Good for you for thinking about getting out there already.   Great attitude to have, even if you aren't quite ready yet.......

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »
Hello there,

Mainly your body will let you know whether and when it is doable. For example,  the doctor indicated that I'd be able to drive at night at a certain point.  I knew I was needing to stay a day driver for awhile. That being said, I'd ask the doc as well and ask why or why not. At some point your body will be "healed" and your question is when that time is.  Truly, after that point, the risk should be the same having surgery or not. I must admit, that it looks like a rough sport with all that jostling around.

Sounds like a goal though that keeps you motivated. Like Jim, I am curious as to your doctor's reaction.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:21 am »
Thanks all! I will definitely be asking my dr before I get into anything, but it's a long way off anyway. I don't even own a pair of roller skates at this point.  :D

another NY postie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »
I, too, agree to check with your Dr.  That being said, I must APPLAUD your attitude and gumption for wanting to go full-press post AN!!!  I hope he says yes and you go for it! ;D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:05:05 pm »
I'm thinking roller skating, esp in a circle over and over, is probably not going to work - but hey it's nice to have goals!   :D