Author Topic: post surgery, loud tinnitus. anyone tried niacin & LBC?  (Read 5462 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
post surgery, loud tinnitus. anyone tried niacin & LBC?
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »
When I saw Dr Stefan a week ago, I complained about loud tinnitus and he suggested I try the vitamins.  I got the niacin and LBC complex and have been using for a week and a half now.  I feel like my tinnitus is getting more high pitched and I've started having these loud sonic booms (earlier I called them sizzlers) that literally wake me up if I'm lucky enough to be dozing off.  Anyone have experience with this?

Amy (it's so loud in here)
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Re: post surgery, loud tinnitus. anyone tried niacin & LBC?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:23:35 am »
Amy,

I have a significant increase in the tinnitus in my right ear, but haven't experienced any of the "booms" you describe.  I still have hearing in that ear but the sound can be quite distorted at times.  I haven't tried any vitamins yet, but can't see how it could hurt, as long as the daily dose is not massive.

A friend of our is a pharmacist and recommended 180mg of Gingko spread out over 2-3 daily doses.  She said it is used regularly in Europe as a treatment for tinnitus.  You might want to ask Dr. Stefan about that as well.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:41:06 am »
Hi, Amy, I read your recent update - so glad that you are seeing some improvements!  Eve (jerseygirl) has used Ginko with success.

The brand of Ginkgo Biloba that works for me is called Ginkoba. Try to Google it on Internet, it usually cheaper to get it from there. Local stores and pharmacies sometimes do not carry it. I take 3 tablets in the morning all at once after breakfast. It takes at least 2 months for it to work to reduce tinnitus and about 2 weeks for tinnitus to return once you discontinue Ginkgo that previously worked for you. I say tinnitus is like weight: easy to gain and hard to lose!
I haven't tried it yet as mine is just white noise and I often don't notice it...as I am putting myself in noisier and noisier environments, though, I am noticing that it increases and greatly reduces my ability to comprehend from my good ear so I am going to start taking it to see.

Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:47:31 am »
Amy, I'm replying to try to follow along on this and see how yo do. 

My surgery is only 2 weeks out, but I am not attending our Thanksgiving dinner this year, kind of a bummer.   But the Sanford family has about 40 wonderful christian people in it adn they will pray for me and of course send food home  ;)       I don't even want to try it because I'm finding being around more than 2 conversations and back ground noise right now is actually making me nauesous.   Plus with my delayed reactions, I've been set back a little.

Good luck with it, and hope to chat with you soon

Also, noticed everyone posting here I've been in contact with on this forum and have seen my blog.  I'm making many comments on thank yous for all comments on the blog too.   I've had so many family members and friends comment on how awesome and even more informative the comments frome fellow ANers are.   THANK YOU!  It's a great help I feel.

Take care Amy, chat soon
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI