Author Topic: One Week post op Middle Fossa  (Read 13348 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
One Week post op Middle Fossa
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »
My suregery was last Monday Middle Fossa.  My husband has been trying to do things on my blog.  Hopefully will update more tomorrow afternnon.  I'm still having eye problems, sweling, pain, etc. so not on computer except the one day I asked a question.    I'm going back tomorrow to see dr.   I will write more when I can focus my eyes, etc. 

Want to be sure to THANK everyone who has commented on blog, etc.  Neil said it took him 3 hours to do 1st posting because he knew nothing about computers.  Funny, but he said it was great because it gave him something to do.  My surgery was 7 1/2 hours, whereas they thougth it would be 5-7 (I got a very big head/thick skull) Hopefully I'll be feeling better and able to see soon!!

I can talk, so for those of you who have my number, feel free to call me if you want.   Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: One Week post op Middle Fossa
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:06:30 am »
Denise,
Sounds like you are doing pretty good for only 1 week post op.  I did a little bit of reading after 10 days, but didn't start posting again for about three weeks. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:39:51 am »
Denise,

Sorry about your eye problems.  I had a little trouble focusing after surgery too -- it gets better with time.  You otherwise sound like you're doing great  for such a short time post-op.  I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ghenier27

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:09:12 am »
It sounds like your doing great. I am now in my 4th week of recovery and my life is back to normal.  I do realize this isn't the normal having this fast of recovery. But i wanted you to know the first few days home. But towards the second week, I had no trouble reading. I was also driving and shopping my second week too- even before my staples were out. I had a different type of surgery than the 3 types that are listed. I have a 12 inch scar that is unnoticeable unless I raise my hair. In my 4th week post op visit yesturday, I got the ok to lifted my 125 pound daughter who is disabled and I did it without any problems at all. I think Denise everyones recovery is different. The hardest thing for me was just sitting around. But your doing wonderful and I am so proud of you. Remember this isn't an easy surgery to begin with and your only in your first week of recovery. Everything does get better in time.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:37 am »
Hi Denise .....

So glad you are feeling well enough to at least post a quick update for us.  Don't push it trying to use your eyes too much.  I did not have facial involvement but my eyes were very weak for quite a while post-surgery ...... double vision at first, light sensitivity, etc.  The longest recovery was getting my gaze stabilization back.  Even now, when I am tired I have to concentrate very hard to keep them in focus.  Not sure if this is related to anyone's overall fatigue .....

Rest and then let us know how you are doing, as you can.

Thoughts and prayers continue.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:00 am »
Denise!  Good to see you are posting again.  Don't overdo it though, especially after just a week or so.  Let those eyes adjust gradually!  I had some focus issues as well, but it really improved over the last week.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:12 am »
Denise,

Sorry to hear that your eye is bothering you.  I hope that resolves quickly.  Otherwise, good to hear from you and I'm sure things will only get better from here!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »
Hi, Denise ~

Welcome to 'Postie-Land'!  :)  I hope the post-op issues diminish and then, go away, soon.  We're praying for your complete recovery.  Meantime, don't push yourself - and try to remain positive. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:24:58 pm »
Hi Denise,
Sounds like you are doing great for one week out, minus the eye problems.
Let them rest along with your other body parts!
I enjoyed quiet music on CD's and even books on CD to rest my weary head post op (headache issues).
Take it easy, and be gentle on yourself. Gentle  daily walks, lots of fluids.....I'm sure you know the routine ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
Well, I think I'm back on the up side.   I just posted a LONG explanation on my blog listed below in my signature.

I ended up going backwards because my stupid body had a flair up with spinal nerve issues.   I had back aches and neck aches before, but the doctors knew too and tried to position me comfortably.   We never knew what caused my pains, my family doctor wasn't ever too worried about it and I took muslce relaxers and it seemed to help.   WELL, laying on a surgery table and hopsital bed like I did flaired up something in me.   Of course we didn't know it at first because I was on morphine in the hospital.   Everything went upside down and backwards after coming home and using a different pain med and then having an allergic reaction to it.     ughh.......it's all there on my blog, but I think I'm on the up side now.

Now that I can see better too, I hope to be back on this site more.  Probably in the middle of the night while having insomnia due to the steroids  ;)

Thanks again everyone, and I'm emotionally trying to stay strong.   I'm only 38 and have had way to many health issues.....still trying to figure out what Gods plan is for me.....???

With my loving heart and appreciating the kindness from this website,
Denise Sanford
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »
Glad to hear things are looking up for you, Denise! Sorry you had such a rough "start" post-op.  :-[

My only advice would be if you find you're having trouble emotionally get outside help sooner rather than later. I'm almost 9 weeks postop and just started with a therapist and wish I had done it earlier! Now I feel like my recovery is "lopsided" since physically things are moving along but emotionally I'm a mess.  :P
Anyway, just my two cents. Hope things continue to improve quickly from here!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:22:19 am »
My prayers are with you and I hope you will have more steps forward see if the doctors will give you something to sleep I am taking ambien and it means so much to get a good nights sleep which you need to heal....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:55:13 am »
Well, I'm spending a little time Thanking everyone for their comments on my posts, and on my blog.   

I am glad I started the blog because it at least gives me  place to go an write and work off mental things.   I have had MANY comments from family and friends at how cool the comments are and informative some are from the fellow ANers.   

I'm definately dealing with my issues, and as we all know.....everyone's situation is completely different.   As for now though I'm staying in on the blog with my overall health issues that are going on, but hope to continue it as a more fun blog for my family.

I have also passed on this forum information to people in my facebook  groups.   Since there is no support group withing 4 hours of me.................you guys are it!   THANKS a LOT!!!

(hopefully no one gets annoyed with my posts...............I'm just so happy to have found this website/forum)

With my loving heart,
Denise Sanford

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:53 am »
I for one enjoy reading as many posts as I can and find them very informative as we are all having different experiences. The only thing I wish I could help others but I am not articulate in my writings and others are wonderful in interpreting things better then I possibly could they only thing i can offer is my prayers....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

moe

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:52:25 am »
NO of course we are not annoyed with your posts, Silly!

That's why we're here. No problem is too small. There are so many differing side effects of this surgery and you'll definitely find company.

Give yourself at least 6 weeks to rest, be pampered, walk, sleep, etc if you can.
 No fancy Thanksgiving preparations. Let your loved ones do it!
I'm sure they are thankful to just have you there, alive and well.
Good healing vibes,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty