Author Topic: Question for all the nurses out there...  (Read 7000 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Question for all the nurses out there...
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
After my last "back to work" post, Cheryl (Another NY postie) was nice enough to send me a PM and suggest I ask all the nurses out there about their experiences. I know there are a lot of you on here, but I'm not sure who to PM specifically, otherwise I'd do that and spare the rest of the board.  :P
I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share what your experience was like in returning to work, if there were any things that were especially difficult or maybe that you'd wished you'd known before returning, any advice, and anyone who decided to change careers instead?

Maybe you can tell I'm a little nervous to return to the 12 hour night shift...  ;)
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

moe

Re: Question for all the nurses out there...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »
Hi nickittynic,
I'm a nurse, but did not have to go back to work for a while, and then only very part time as a homehealth nurse.
So I don't know how much help I am! I would definitely recommend easing into work, if possible with half shifts. Others who have returned to work whatever their field, found the fatigue to be great when returning. This is normal,and does improve.
Your body will definitely let you know if you are overdoing it. Someone got a letter from their doctor to put off full time status. Don't know if this is an option  for you.
I would be more than a little nervous myself returning to 12 hour shifts!
I'm the "house manager" being a military wife, so do everything on that front. Never have gone back full time since the kids were born.
Would love to chat more. PM me. You sound like a strong willed nurse type! Everyone is soooo different.
Any other nurses?
I know Nancy Ann is a nurse and went back to work. See if she'll pipe in.
Good luck, when do you have to start the madness I mean shift work?
And have you always been on nights? You LIKE that???!!!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:50:12 pm »
You might want to PM some of the nurses.

The ones I recall off the top of my head are: Cheryl R, lori67, oHIo, TxNurseNoelle, and nancyann.

I know that oHIo (Deb) returned to work after her AN surgery; don't know about the rest.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »
I'm not sure who to PM specifically, otherwise I'd do that and spare the rest of the board. 

Don't be silly. :)

First of all, many of us will be interested to see what the Florence Nightingales of the ANA have to say. Second, there will no doubt be another newbie nurse coming along sooner or later, who will be pleased to see this topic and the discussion that ensues.

Bring it on.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 10:29:58 am »
Hi there Nicki:  Like I said,  I've had a 'desk job' for the past 12 years,  but I was a staff nurse for 17 years.   You know what the pace usually is on your floor,  so for starters you're going to have to gage that energy level with how you're feeling.   As of this moment,  you aren't ready to go back yet.   You still need to build your energy, both physically & mentally/emotionally (especially dealing also with facial/eye issues).   
Getting back to work WILL be exhausting at first,  there's no way around it.  Definitely start back part time, see about 8 hour shifts at first, if possible, 2-3 times a week & see how you do for the first 2-3 weeks.
You may want to look into an area of nursing less fast paced, like education, human resources, infection control, risk management, etc.

I wish you all the best,  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:20 am »
Thanks guys!

Well I'll be going in on the 23rd to get "approved" by employee health to return. Planning on seeing how three 8 hour shifts a week treats me and then either add or subtract from there. Honestly, I would love to move to a "desk job" or another area than floor nursing, or even just stay home!, but I'm not sure I'm qualified and I haven't seen my husband jump up to find a job, so I guess this is what I have to do.

I'll be the one standing in the middle of the hall trying to figure out where the call bell ring is coming from..  ;)

moe

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:22 pm »
Good luck with that, Nickittynic!!
I hope you feel up to it. My wish for you is that they say come back after the holidays :) Any possibility of that?????? Isn't the census usually down? (except for new years eve- don't lots of babies try to get born then?)
Happy Thanksgiving too :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:52:05 pm »
Maureen,
Staying until after the holidays would be great!
Honestly I don't think my manager cares when I come back as far as the unit's concerned, but just wants me to be ready when I do come back. Unfortunately all the people involved with my physical recovery are saying I'm fit to return now, so my disability ends this weekend. My new therapist (psych) is the only one who says I'm probably not ready, but she's not the one to sign the papers so whatareyagunnado?
If only I could win the lotto..  :P

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »
It's not the physical which needs to be all better but the mental to think clearly and not get over tired from. Plus the paper work as my hospital is not on computer for the charting.     Orders were all computer and weren't too bad to do.   
   I feel for you but know sometimes when one has to,they have to.        I hope it does go well for you!
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:06:59 pm »
Nicky~
I am NOT a nurse (but if I could do it over again after this whole AN thing - that's what I would've done!)...just some thoughts...a school nurse (NOT the health aide) or since you work in OB/GYN, how about working in an office?  My next door neighbor went from working LDR to working for one of the baby Dr's.  Also, she has done some OB home health care - I can't remember the name of the company but I can find out if you would like...just maybe not so demanding or fast paced.  I would think LDR would be VERY active all the time!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:34:41 pm »
Nicki: Take a deep breath,  find ways to really relax this weekend. See how you feel after working each day next week,  - if it is too much,  let your nurse manager know what's going on.

Who knows, this may be a time for you to take a less fast paced position in nursing;  as Kay & others (including me) have encouraged.
 My job entails getting days authorized for psychiatric inpatients, + alot of 'behind the scenes' work.  It is do-able after the AN saga.  So, a suggestion is to see if there's a case management/clinical care coordinator position open in your area of expertise. 
I wish you all the best,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
Thanks all! Case management and medical crisis counseling are both things I've thought about after this whole AN thing. Home health Ob care (not sure I could do something non-OB) could be cool, too! Kay, was the company you're thinking of maybe Matria? I guess my plan is to see how I handle part-time on my unit, and then work towards something else. A friend who works at the same hospital knows a high-up in professional development so he's going to talk to her for me.  :)

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 07:21:20 pm »
I do think it was Matria...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nmspee

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 11:07:17 am »
Hi,
I am a nurse and my husband's helper after his acoustic neuroma surgery ten days ago. I'll be back to work on April19th on Pediatrics. I wish I could stay and help him with his recovery. Today he's totally exhausted and has had a headache since 4am. I wish I could share his pain and balance issues. I've always leaned on him and now the role is reversed. I wish I could help more.
Marilyn
d***
AN 1.1cm x 2 cm diagnosed 2/2/2010
Removed via translabyrinthine approach on 3/31/2010 by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYUMC.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »
Lori's a nurse.  Where are you Lori  ???
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways