Author Topic: Question for all the nurses out there...  (Read 6999 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: Question for all the nurses out there...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »
Well, just to let you all know, I have been back to work. It took me longer than the docs said it would, but when I was ready I was ready. I started with 2 eight hour shifts per week and did that for a month (PS I work night shift so that's 11pm - 7am), then did two 12 hour shifts a week for the last month, and this week I start my regular schedule - three 12 hour shifts a week.

It's tiring but I'm doing fine. Having had a 'patient experience' myself helps me be a better nurse, I think. And all the other nurses on my unit know about what happened so they help me out. One of the nurses I work with is blind in one eye, so we tease each other about standing on each other's "good side". The only thing I'm having some issues with is the SSD. When an alarm is ringing I can't find which room it's in!

The main thing is that I'm really glad I took my time and went back on *my* schedule, not the docs. I think I would have been too overwhelmed and probably quit altogether!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 10:24:21 pm »
Wonderful news Nicki:  being a 'young' nurse has certainly helped you get back into working the floors.  I can't imagine what it's like for you.  I haven't worked the floors for 13 years.  Don't think I'd be able to.... 
You're a very strong  woman,  you're in my thoughts & prayers.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:23 am »
Good to hear it is going well for work and that you were able get back slowly to adjust.     I had to do 11-7 ages ago for a bit and never did adjust.       I did 3-11 for a long time and was fine as I am not a morning person.             Before I retired I was doing 11 am -7 pm due to some weird changing around of help but I really liked that.   12 hr days every 3rd weekend which I did not like!  Now retired and do miss it some and some aspects do not.        More and more paperwork is added but don't think the higher ups understand that there are patients to take care of too.    They haven't went to all computer charting yet. 
Plus I understand how some days everyone who is on, is pushed  to the limit even if one is in good health!     
                                                             Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

moe

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:15 am »
Great news Nicki!
So glad you were able to work according to your body's wishes, and not the doctor's. Way to hang in there and be proactive.
The BAHA would definitely be something to look into. I know that the sounds coming from who knows where can be quite emotionally fatiguing after  a while.
Rest on your days off, ya hear? HA!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:41:22 am »
Nicki -

Joining the party late here (story of my life), but glad to hear you are back in the swing of things.

I haven't gone back to work yet and don't plan to until my youngest is in school full time, but I'm not sure I can do the hospital nursing thing anymore.  My husband teases me that someone down the hall could be flatlining and it would take me an hour to check every room until I found the right beeping thing!  He's right!  It takes me that long to find my cell phone in my house half the time!  I'm sure I would adjust and figure things out before too long, but I'm sticking with the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" thing!   :D  Besides, my heart is in Physical Therapy anyway and the worst I could do there is lose my balance and drop someone.  Oh wait, that's bad too, isn't it?   :o

The BAHA is great for hearing the sounds, but hasn't helped me with where those sounds are coming from, so in my case, it wouldn't help me locate the beeping.  I have a feeling you'll start to pick up on where the sounds are coming from after a while and you'll do just fine!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »
So sorry I am just now replying...I'm in the same boat as Lori......(late is better than nothing, right?)   I'm a surgery nurse and I was only supposed to be off for 4 weeks, but I was out of surgery for a year.  During the operation, I had rare swelling for the positioning of my neck that basically squished  C 5-6 and I ended up with a brachial plexus injury from the should down in my right (of course dominant) arm.  The swelling also gave me Horner Syndrome.   After 4 months of much physical therapy, and pain meds :):):) I went back to work in our hospital's computer department because we were getting a new EMR.  I taught the new EMR for several months while my right arm slowly regained use.  At about 1 year post-op, I was given the green light to go back to my love of surgery.  So, that is where i remain.  Pretty much 100% now. Yes, deaf on the left, and not the world's best balance, but still as useful :)   My hearing and balance are roughly the same as they were pre-op, so for me, once my arm function retunred, I was good as new.

One thing I do notice from time to time though, and I believe it would be normal once you have the insides of your head messed with, is that I notice its hard to get my thoughts out verbally.  I've noticed a few times that it takes a few seconds longer to actually say what I am thinking..... but maybe that's just me getting older (I'm only 31 - but I think it's been a gradual decline since I started nursing :)

Good luck to you in easing back into our wonderful profession......

-Amy   
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »
Amy: you are one strong cookie to get back into surgical nursing.    Though you are younger than me (I'm 54) I can't imagine working the floors with single sided deafness & balance/facial issues.  I'm lucky in that I haven't worked the floors for 13 years ( I'm a clinical care coordinator in psychiatry).
Wishing you all the best !    Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »
Thanks, Nancy.  I am sure trying my best.   I work with really understanding co-workers and docs...and most all know at this point just to talk louder and I can hear them better.  My hearing was so dimished before, having the SSD didn't really seem much different.  The balance issues are so mild, they are barely existent.  I consider myself lucky to be getting better, and very lucky I have retained my job :) 

In any aspect of nursing, I think being a patient for once always opens our eyes to facets we only thought we understood.

-Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.